Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very bad day at the track!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:50 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Very bad day at the track!

The weather was beautiful. New set of hoosier slicks and the car all waxed and polished. I have a friend haul my slicks..... I hopped in the old hot rod at 6:00 a.m. and did the high speed cruise 35 miles out to the track. 90% of the drive is on empty freeway.

I did my 30 minute practice session on a new to me course configuration. I was trying some different attacks on the turns and saved it from looping on to the main straight once. I got some good lap times against a very fast field.

Then I hopped in as a passenger driving instructor (PDX) in caged turbo Mustang. This young guy is going to be fast when he gets it all sorted out.

Then it was my qualifying round and I made two laps starting my third right by the checkered flag stand. I had just done my 4-5 shift at 140 mph with my foot on the floor and the motor went quiet and the tack and oil pressure went to "ZERo" I was like what the heck is going on. I put it in neutral and headed for the run off road.

To make a long story short I thought that my MSD E digital distributor took a dump because I had no spark while cranking. So I borrowed a pickup and drove back to Summit Racing and bought a new one for $400 some. But when I pulled the original out...... My Comp Cams Poly gear had a bunch of missing teeth.

So I called a friend with a trailer to load me up. Well with five people pushing it on we smashed the nose while loading it

So the whole problem was caused by Comp cams poly dizzy gear not being able to handle 80 psi oil pressure.

Hey the Bright side is the MSD new distributor can be returned. Now it's pull the pan and flush the motor of poly gear teeth. I might be lucky because the oil pump would not have been pumping the gear teeth through the system

Last edited by gkull; 09-28-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Damn! Good luck with your repairs. I'm sure you'll be on the track again soon.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:55 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats certainly not a good day, but a very bad day? nah, you and your car are still in one piece. get it fixed and get back out there.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:10 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

when you wreck the car, that's a bad day.
your mechanical problems come from waxing the car.
the layer of dirt and crud wards off any mechanical problems.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:55 PM
sundiego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I went looking for you at Coronado without success. Now I know why. Glad it was minor.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:27 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by sundiego
Well, I went looking for you at Coronado without success. Now I know why. Glad it was minor.
It is not the repair that gets to me. It's just all the prep time and effort and not even getting to race. You really need a second car or a full pit crew

We lost one of our major racers for a 13 months by being banned. He usually takes 3 cars to all the events. Then with him not going a couple of others canceled out.

It will impact the business and ended allot of traveling events for me.

I really liked taking care of his GT40 and i wanted to do some laps in the t-70.

I'll probably be there for the March Laguna seca.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:04 AM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
thats certainly not a good day, but a very bad day? nah, you and your car are still in one piece. get it fixed and get back out there.
Hopefully it's just a nuisance.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Old 09-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Cadex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at this event...club trails. Glad to hear it was not something major.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's time to get a trailer.

Get notified of new replies

To Very bad day at the track!

Quick Reply: Very bad day at the track!