Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJMP Thunderbolt Time Comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:33 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default NJMP Thunderbolt Time Comparisons

I am looking into different cars for HPDE and possible NASA racing next year, and for the hell of it comparing lap times to get an overal idea of a car's true speed.

Here are some times from different series cars on the same course (Thunderbolt). These are the fastest times or overall winning times in each groups category, not average times of the entire field.

Daytona Protoype 1:13
Start Mazda 1:16
Grand Am GT Car 1:20
World Challenge (997) 1:23
Kone Challenge (997) 1:28
Koni Challenge (MX-5) 1:30
Playboy MX-5 Cup 1:32

I was at the Speed World Challenge race on Saturday and got to see a bunch of series run. WC was absolutely increadible and those guys looked smoking fast compared to my 500rwhp Hoosier C6Z. I wish I had a timer to see what my lap times were, but I don't.

I stopped by to check out the MX-5 Playboy Cup cars which are VERY nicely done and very professionally built. It was a TRUE race car with digital readouts and top notch safety equipment. You can pick one up used for about mid $25k (2007 with only 1 season). They looked leaps and bounds better than a Spec Miata. Their times are about 10 seconds off a WC car, so how does this compare to our cars, say a T1 car or just a well sorted C5Z or C6Z?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:50 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T1 car will be between the koni challenge and world challenge 997's.

the problem with the mx-5 cup car is where to race it. I'm not certain, but I dont think theyre allowed in spec miata just yet.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Nikolas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be wary of your comparisons...... need to take into account the track configuration used by each sanctioning body.

Grand Am Rolex did not use any of the chicanes, AFAIK... but I was there with Star Mazda, and we were all using the 2nd chicane. NJMP had also erected tires at the apex of the "bridge" turn, to cut down speeds more leading onto the front straight, which I do not believe were present for the Rolex race. Both of these changes together probably added 2 seconds to the lap times...
Old 09-29-2008, 09:23 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
T1 car will be between the koni challenge and world challenge 997's.

the problem with the mx-5 cup car is where to race it. I'm not certain, but I dont think theyre allowed in spec miata just yet.
They have a class in NASA where you can run MX-5 and they will allow the car in Spec Miata with some additional weight/restrictor plate.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:12 AM
kingkyle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jersey!

I was able to do a 1:25 on my last lap of the video... once I get more comfortable with the track, 23's are reasonable.... so Nasa SU will run about that.

http://www.vimeo.com/1759311

Kyle

Get notified of new replies

To NJMP Thunderbolt Time Comparisons

Quick Reply: NJMP Thunderbolt Time Comparisons