Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these Pagid pads bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:21 AM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Are these Pagid pads bad?

What's your opinion? At tech inspection for my C6Z, I needed front pads immediately to replace the original Brembo pads for my 14" Brembos, and the only ones available were "PAGID RS4 Orange Brake Pads". I bedded them in, and when starting a few hot laps I got a front shudder so bad I felt I had to pit in, I thought something came apart. I ran the rest of the day OK, maybe some vibration at times. I think these pads really suck, but maybe it's my personal bias. Are these bad pads? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:46 AM
Gary_C
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kelp
What's your opinion? At tech inspection for my C6Z, I needed front pads immediately to replace the original Brembo pads for my 14" Brembos, and the only ones available were "PAGID RS4 Orange Brake Pads". I bedded them in, and when starting a few hot laps I got a front shudder so bad I felt I had to pit in, I thought something came apart. I ran the rest of the day OK, maybe some vibration at times. I think these pads really suck, but maybe it's my personal bias. Are these bad pads? Thanks.
What process did you use to bed them in?

What pad compound was in the system before you switched to the Pagid Orange?

That is one of my favorite pad compounds for track use. It is definitely not recommended for street use at all.

Fee free to respond here or give me a call when you get a chance.

Gary C.
Brembo / Race Technologies
888.Brembo.8 ext.118
gary@racetechnologies.com
Old 09-30-2008, 01:07 AM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kelp
They suck because there was a shudder?? That's the pad material transferring to the rotor. That's perfectly normal.

Got any other reasons why they suck?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't use Oranges...

DO use Pagid RS29s Yellows... I got 9 hard track days on my front RS29s and 15 days on the rears. They don't have the bite of the Oranges, which means you won't have rotors wearing as quickly, if at all... I have a total of 15 days on my front rotors and they're still in spec... LOVE RS29s!

When I bought my 996TT, the previous owner had put on Pagid Oranges. In three weekends I killed a pair of front rotors... What we did to get them to work thru the weekend at Watkins Glen that year was to FLUSH the rotor with brake cleaner to get all the deposits off. I had to do that at least once per day or the steering wheel shudder was horrible. Never again!

Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 09:52 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

It's common to have shudder if you were using a standard compound (Hawk, PFC, etc) and then switch to a ceramic based pad (CarboTech, Pagid, Cobalt). The rotor face should have been cleaned before you bedded in the old pads. The reason for the shudded is an uneven transfer layer, if you can get the rotor clean and re-bed they would probably work fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Are these Pagid pads bad?

Quick Reply: Are these Pagid pads bad?