Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any special prep needed to run C5Z's on banked oval track?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default any special prep needed to run C5Z's on banked oval track?!?

My neighbor is taking his C5Z to Daytona to run a DE.. He's tring to talk me in to it.. but i'm thinking i'll probably just watch..

I remember reading someplace about problems with the LS6 on banked turns even when overfilled.. He said there is nothing to worry about..

stock setup and stock tires.. no slicks..
Old 10-01-2008, 03:23 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch oil pressure closely as you work up to speed. Watch the traction coming off the banking. That's where you lose the rear end, and it's deceptive.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:31 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU
My neighbor is taking his C5Z to Daytona to run a DE.. He's tring to talk me in to it.. but i'm thinking i'll probably just watch..

I remember reading someplace about problems with the LS6 on banked turns even when overfilled.. He said there is nothing to worry about..

stock setup and stock tires.. no slicks..
Not an LS6 but my LT1 main bearings definitely suffered from just a 2 day exposure to banking, and I kept the oil temps way down at under 250F. But I didn't do the 1 qt over thing.

If he tries it, I think it wise to go 1qt over and use 3qts 15-w50 and the other 4qts 10-w40 to keep the oil thicker than stock 5w-30. Short shift and keep the temps low. I'm assuming stock LS6--no accusump no oil cooler.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Racin Jason
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure he adds an extra quart of oil. And tell him to keep a close eye on the oil pressure!!!! Racing on a banked oval (with 335 hoosiers) is how I spun bearings in my old LS1.

Last edited by Racin Jason; 10-01-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:55 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

add an extra quart of oil and he should be fine with stock tires
doubt he could pull enough G's to starve the engine with stock tires, unless he is a pro and can ride the absolute edge of the grip
Old 10-02-2008, 01:41 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like everybody said, run an extra quart of oil but if you plan to continue racing a lot install a accusump.

Aaron
Old 10-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do it the Johnny Haskell way, you'll need a sawzall to clearance the fenders after the first run.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:25 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Shrek
If you do it the Johnny Haskell way, you'll need a sawzall to clearance the fenders after the first run.
true true i happen to still have the fenders i cut out ..i'll sell them to you cheap!!!! buy an accusump!!!!
Aaron, remember when we ran rockingham the first time??? we wore out the grinder!!lol

Johnny
Old 10-02-2008, 11:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Your neck gets sore.,

Havn't run Daytona but on Lowes MotorSpeedway Roval ( Concord NC ) and going though NASCAR Turn 3 and 4, too look down the track I needed to look up into the corner of the A-piller near the windshield.

If You look straight out over your hood, all you see is asphalt
Old 10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I ran my C6 Z06 last December, and I'll be there again Nov 1-2 for the PBOC HPDE and also in December for the Audi event - look forward to seeing you there!!!

Of course the C6Z has a dry sump system and I had no problems. There was a race-prepped C6 there last year, and I don't know what he had done to his oil system. There were several C5's there (I think they may have all been C5 Z06's, and I don't know if their oil systems are any different than the regular C5) but nobody seemed to have any problems.

You're up on the bank for no more than about 15 to 20 seconds. When you come out of NASCAR T2 onto the SuperStretch (the back straight) you go through a chicane (the Bus Stop) to slow you down - and that will slosh your oil around a bit. After NASCAR T4 you flatten out pretty well down the front stretch of the tri-oval (I think it's still about a 5 degree bank, but there's no lateral G), but then you dive into the infield where you've got a couple of right handers that will slosh your oil around real well to get things oiled up nicely for your run back up onto the banked section.

The cool down laps shouldn't be a problem if you can maintain about 90 or so - you won't have any significant lateral G. However, if you get behind somebody doing 60 or so it will feel like you're gonna fall off the bank, and your oil will be accumulating down on the low side (left) of your sump - and I don't know where the C5 pickup is. You can always go way down to the flat section of the track if somebody does that to you during a cool down lap.

Overall, it is a track experience that is not to be missed if you have the opportunity!!!

I know there will be a lot more Vettes here this year, so I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of forum guys - we'll have to have a get together for forum members!

C'ya in Daytona!

Bob
Old 10-02-2008, 10:05 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Accusump it, it's pretty cost effective over long term.
You can roast bearings at the most inopportune time when on a track.

Last edited by OKsweetrides; 10-02-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:27 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

sounds like your a novice. street tires, street brakes, don't worry about it. 1 extra qt your fine.

it;s the high RPM's with R tires, and low oil that is the problem.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:54 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by larryfs
sounds like your a novice. street tires, street brakes, don't worry about it. 1 extra qt your fine.

it;s the high RPM's with R tires, and low oil that is the problem.
I agree with "don't worry about it".

Butt.....I was a novice last year at the Daytona event (still am), and I ran on street tires with a compromise pad (hawk HP+ with DBA 4000 rotors). Even a novice here on street tires can run redline RPMs and very high speeds on the banks and down the straights. My C6Z at 7,000 redline does about 160 in 4th - and I was running around the banks at about 155-158, so I was right up near redline. I'd shift into 5th coming off of NASCAR Turn 4 to accelerate for a few seconds up to about 170 mph before hitting the braking zone to head into the infield turns.

Daytona is a great track for a high hp car like the Vette and I would recommend any Corvette owner that can take advantage of it to come on down - You'll LOVE it!!!

Bob
Old 10-03-2008, 01:39 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I ran my C6 Z06 last December, and I'll be there again Nov 1-2 for the PBOC HPDE and also in December for the Audi event - look forward to seeing you there!!!

Of course the C6Z has a dry sump system and I had no problems. There was a race-prepped C6 there last year, and I don't know what he had done to his oil system. There were several C5's there (I think they may have all been C5 Z06's, and I don't know if their oil systems are any different than the regular C5) but nobody seemed to have any problems.

Bob
The C4 I had did not show problems that day but when the engine was torn down a few months later, it was apparant that there was abnormal wear on the mains & rods that would have, eventually, led to a spun bearing.

I had no extra oil in it though and I ran 10-30. I suggest using heavier wt oil + 1 qt over and then---PRAY.

Get notified of new replies

To any special prep needed to run C5Z's on banked oval track?!?

Quick Reply: any special prep needed to run C5Z's on banked oval track?!?