Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time Attack question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:55 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Time Attack question

I am interested in time attack because I could race my 09 Z51 against the clock and not risk damage (by others). What I am curious about is how they run their practice sessions? Do they seperate everyone as they do in the timed event or just run them like an HPDE where everyone can get bunched up?

I know I'm opening myself to all kinds of flaming about be afraid to go wheel to wheel! I can't afford the repairs! I raced MX, enduros, and hare scrambles until I was 50. Those days are long gone. I want to have fun and not damage my car. I've done NASA HPDEs in a Honda S2000, but I don't want some 18 year old in a STI an inch off my bumper, nor do I want to be on someone elses and get all the rock chips.

Thanks!

Last edited by tomiboy; 10-04-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

You should look into NASA HPDE & Time Trials. They are a blast. Just getting started with them this year myself. By far the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel.

www.nasaproracing.com
www.nasaforums.com

Last edited by Jason; 10-04-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:52 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tomiboy
I am interested in time attack because I could race my 09 Z51 against the clock and not risk damage (by others). What I am curious about is how they run their practice sessions? Do they seperate everyone as they do in the timed event or just run them like an HPDE where everyone can get bunched up?

I know I'm opening myself to all kinds of flaming about be afraid to go wheel to wheel! I can't afford the repairs! I raced MX, enduros, and hare scrambles until I was 50. Those days are long gone. I want to have fun and not damage my car. I've done HPDEs in a Honda S2000, but I don't want some 18 year old in a STI an inch off my bumper, nor do I want to be on someone elses and get all the rock chips.

Thanks!
our two main clubs NASA and ASA bunch everyone up. but its cheap

other clubs do have solo events but they are expensive

the track times would be much better solo! like qualifying for a race

check your local Porsche, BMW and Ferrari clubs or other exotic clubs that cherish their paint G/L and Haul *** !

Last edited by rustyguns; 10-04-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

The time attacks I know of have multiple cars on the track at once. Too many cars and not enough time to have one driver out there at a time! They do their best to space them out, but if you catch someone you are going to have to pass them...
Old 10-05-2008, 01:12 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

If staying away from other cars is what you want, NASA is not what you're looking for.

Look into Redline Time Attack. They do solo type runs. Wont be much passing there.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

NCCC also is solo time trials
Old 10-05-2008, 07:03 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I run in the Midwestern Council high speed autocross series. It is technically a timetrial event.

Most events are at Blackhawk and a few at Autobahn but on a few rare occasions we have run at Grattan, Milwaukee Mile and GingerMan.

Morning practice sessions are groups of about a dozen cars at a time with passing only allowed on the main straight. They launch cars at 5-10 second intervals so you may never pass or be passed in a 3-4 lap session. You are not allowed to pass without a point-by, so for the most part I have not seen any risky moves in 20 years of doing this.

I tell students that anyone who is behind you, got there for a reason. They are faster. You should give them a point-by when you can, and as soon as they move off line to go by, you should lift the help them make a quick pass.

I have been behind some knuckle-heads that think they are holding me off. That is when I switch from being polite and hanging back a couple of car lengths to getting in their mirrors a bit. They get the message, but I catch some rubber turds in the front end.

Timed runs are staged so that no passing should ever take place. If you catch someone, you don't have to get close to get a re-run.

Generally if you are too aggressive in tailing a slower car, the corner workers call it in and the aggressor has to have a talk with one of the officials.

Some of the driver meetings address this issue and ask to faster car to back off, and stretch out the gap if the slower car won't point you by. They get the black flag for not paying attention to the blue and yellow flag at turn 7.

The scariest part of the day is driving to and from the event with people texting, eating and whatever else in their cars at 70 mph.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:11 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
The scariest part of the day is driving to and from the event with people texting, eating and whatever else in their cars at 70 mph.
and ppl say racing is dangerous. bloody rush hour around any major city is fricken crazy.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:27 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

At our club, we run HPDE style open track, then NASCAR style qualifying
Old 10-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Nikolas
Advanced

Our practice sessions are split by Class (Street, Modified, Unlimited), with all the cars on the track at once, with controlled passing in designated passing zones.

Our Time Attack sessions have anywhere from 5-10 cars on the track at a time, depending on track length, gridded with the fastest cars out front.. sent out on track in 5-10 second intervals.. In theory, you should not catch the guy in front of you.. unless you were sand-bagging or the guy in front of you has an off or makes some mistakes on track and thus slows down, allowing you to catch them.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:23 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
and ppl say racing is dangerous. bloody rush hour around any major city is fricken crazy.

Get notified of new replies

To Time Attack question

Quick Reply: Time Attack question