Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track veteran with a C5. Just bought C6 Z51. Lots of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:06 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track veteran with a C5. Just bought C6 Z51. Lots of questions...

I've been going to HPDEs since 2000, probably 50+ track days.

My current track car (see sig below, also my daily driver) has DRM brake ducts w/spindle ducts, a Sparco TRS sport seat, a roll bar, a 6-point harness, and an Accusump. I also use R-compound tires (Toyo RA-1s or R888s) that I trailer behind the Vette.

I just bought a 2006 coupe with Z51 and a 6-speed. I'm going to start tracking with this car soon. So I have a dozen questions.

Will my wheels with the r-comp tires fit onto the C6? They are 18 x 9.5 and 18 x 10.5. I would like to keep using these wheels, because they allow me to use scrub tires in sizes that are easy to get. Will they fit over the stock Z51 brakes ok? Are there other issues to consider? Is anyone else using r-comps with a C6 (not Z06), and what wheel & tire sizes do you use?

Will the stock Z51 brakes be ok, or will the drilled rotors tend to crack a lot? Should I get some non-drilled rotors? If so, where can I buy some at a low price?

I'm going to need a 'hardbar' for my 6-point harness. Who makes the best one for a good price?

I've got more questions, but I don't want to put too many questions into one thread...

Bob
Old 10-05-2008, 12:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

your wheels will fit.

may have TPS issues and put you into reduced power mode. Keep your stock wheels close by

Z51 brakes are just fine. Use them until you have to replace them. brake pads and brake fluid you know about.

Hardbar makes hardbar. if you mean harness bar, well Hardbar of course
Old 10-05-2008, 12:55 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
your wheels will fit.

may have TPS issues and put you into reduced power mode. Keep your stock wheels close by.
Yeah. I know what you mean when you say to keep the stock wheels nearby, but I think I will buy a set of sensors for the race wheels.

Z51 brakes are just fine. Use them until you have to replace them. brake pads and brake fluid you know about. .
When I wear out the stock rotors, which replacement rotors would you recommend - stock or something that is not cross-drilled?

Hardbar makes hardbar. if you mean harness bar, well Hardbar of course
Yes, I meant harness bar. I guess Hardbar has become synonymous with harness bar. Like "Kleenex".
Old 10-05-2008, 01:15 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
Yeah. I know what you mean when you say to keep the stock wheels nearby, but I think I will buy a set of sensors for the race wheels.
If you get a set of sensors for your track tires/wheels, you'll need a tool that transmits the proper radio frequency to trigger the sensors.

The C6 sensors aren't triggered by a magnet like the C5 sensors are.

Bob
Old 10-05-2008, 02:08 PM
MikeFleischer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been going to HPDEs since 2000, probably 50+ track days.

My current track car (see sig below, also my daily driver) has DRM brake ducts w/spindle ducts, a Sparco TRS sport seat, a roll bar, a 6-point harness, and an Accusump. I also use R-compound tires (Toyo RA-1s or R888s) that I trailer behind the Vette.

I just bought a 2006 coupe with Z51 and a 6-speed. I'm going to start tracking with this car soon. So I have a dozen questions.

Will my wheels with the r-comp tires fit onto the C6? They are 18 x 9.5 and 18 x 10.5. I would like to keep using these wheels, because they allow me to use scrub tires in sizes that are easy to get. Will they fit over the stock Z51 brakes ok? Are there other issues to consider? Is anyone else using r-comps with a C6 (not Z06), and what wheel & tire sizes do you use?

Will the stock Z51 brakes be ok, or will the drilled rotors tend to crack a lot? Should I get some non-drilled rotors? If so, where can I buy some at a low price?

I'm going to need a 'hardbar' for my 6-point harness. Who makes the best one for a good price?

I've got more questions, but I don't want to put too many questions into one thread...

Bob

I don't know all the answers here but I have an 05 Z51. The wheels will fit. I have only run my 05 once so far at Road America. The stock brakes are pretty good though require a bit earlier and steadier pressure. My rotors survived the weekend just fine but I added some Quantum motor sports brake ducts up front and was running on street tires so with R comps you may see a difference. A lot of folks convert the z51 back to the non-z51 setup for the cheaper rotors (I think you swap the caliper bracket and rotor and you have a stock C5/6 setup).

No idea on harness bars. I ran a Brey-Krause bar in my old C5Z06, but If I did something like that again I am not sure how I would go, but new seats would be part of that package for certain.

BR,
Mike
Old 10-05-2008, 02:20 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HardbarUSA for the harness bar. I personally went back to the base caliper brackets and the NAPA rotors on my Z51 before going to Wilwoods (where I still run NAPA rotors). Everything you did for your C5 will apply to the C6. C6 wheels are a different offset/backspacing so if you want the perfect fit you'll need new wheels, if not lots of folks are running C5 wheels on C6s. The earlier poster is correct in that you need a tool to program the TPS on the C6 and they use different sensors than the C5.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:27 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkmccready
The earlier poster is correct in that you need a tool to program the TPS on the C6 and they use different sensors than the C5.

Is the tool easy to get or do I have to get it from a Chevrolet dealer? (Please tell me I never have to experience another Chevrolet dealer's Parts department.) What does it cost?

Bob
Old 10-05-2008, 03:11 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Do a search for "Bartec" both here and in the C6 Tech / Wheels sections. You'll find lots of hits. Prices vary depending on tool. I got mine from http://www.wrighttoolcompany.com/ but I honestly forget the cost.

BTW, to ignore Chevy dealers parts department, go online with Gene Culley @ www.gmpartshouse.com ... (forum sponsor)
Old 10-05-2008, 05:30 PM
wmk32
Instructor

Is the tool easy to get or do I have to get it from a Chevrolet dealer? (Please tell me I never have to experience another Chevrolet dealer's Parts department.) What does it cost?

Bob
You should be able to get one from a forum member for about $130 give or take.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Bob

for brake rotors: there are some relatively inexpensive Z51 diameter rotors now avail be. The other option is to go to the stock C5/ C6 rotor, by NAPA / Raybestous and the C6 caliper mounting bracket

and brake ducts are a must, but you know that one
Old 10-05-2008, 05:58 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

Bob
Here's a thread with info about a Bartec Trackside available from forum vendor Katech:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2085024

The TPMS computer in the car can only hold 4 sensor ID#'s in its memory, so every time you swap from street to track wheels and back you'll need to do the "relearn" procedure. It only takes about a minute. Below is a video of how to do the procedure (it's using a tool similar to the Trackside, but all the tools would be used in the same manner).

Bob

Old 10-05-2008, 11:30 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Rotors will have surface cracks, I will replace it at season end. New ones from Chevy are $82 a piece. I have to keep the stupid stock one for stock class
Old 10-06-2008, 12:11 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Er, can't you go to the base brackets and rotors and still be stock legal? Aren't the C6 base and Z51 on the same line?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:40 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats Bob on your new ride. Stick with the stock rotors. They are bigger in diameter then the base ones. You can get replacement rotors from ProParts USA 818 888-8904. There made by Centric. They still have drilled holes and only come one sided. Just like stock. I think they sell for around $70 a rotor.
Good luck

Steve
Old 10-06-2008, 05:41 PM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Bob

for brake rotors: there are some relatively inexpensive Z51 diameter rotors now avail be. The other option is to go to the stock C5/ C6 rotor, by NAPA / Raybestous and the C6 caliper mounting bracket

and brake ducts are a must, but you know that one
Which ducts are the best for the Z51? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:26 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 986_c6
which ducts are the best for the z51? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
drm
Old 10-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

your wheels will fit.

may have TPS issues and put you into reduced power mode. Keep your stock wheels close by

I've been racing my '08 Z for a year now with 2 sets of rims/r-comps with no sensors. I have only ONCE had an issue and that was when the street tires came off and one of the tires was truly low in pressure. If the last know pressures to the car at all 4 corners were fine, the sensor-wheels have never caused any issues.

$0.02.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:45 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I have an 06 Z-51 and found:

Your wheels will fit.

TPM should not be an issue. I got one warning without them and then no more DIC alerts

Went to C5 brake brackets and NAPA solid rotors. Same stopping for about 13/ the cost.

A Sparco Evo 2 seat will fit just fine. I used the Hardbar mount.

Have fun with it

Get notified of new replies

To Track veteran with a C5. Just bought C6 Z51. Lots of questions...

Quick Reply: Track veteran with a C5. Just bought C6 Z51. Lots of questions...