Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Tube Woes in 99 FRC

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:13 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Torque Tube Woes in 99 FRC

I finally pulled my TT from the 99 FRC. It was noisy at Road Atlanta in Aug and has been sidelined in the trailer since then.

I installed a used TT about 4 months ago, with a new front bushing and LGM rear aluminum rear one, when I put in a Spec 3+ clutch and flywheel.

The car has a competely destroyed pilot bushing/bearing, the throwout bearing came out in pieces and the slave cylinder has grooves cut in it by the prop shaft snout. The clutch/flywheel seem OK. The bearing race in the TT seems to be loose now (it was tight when installed a few months back).

I need any technical insight why I have this problem. The dowels on the bellhousing, TT and trans seem to be fine. While I have done this a few times I am really tired of pulling the drivetrain.

Also I need a new TT - later style preferred - but any will be considered.

Need to get the car back on track to whoop up on TimZO6 at Road Atlanta in Dec and ZO6Cool this month....
Old 10-05-2008, 07:30 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Hi Jeff. I lived in Augusta (SRS) fior 15 years. I am new to torque tubes, so I don;t have an answer, but I have some questions. I have an 04 Z06....so, ho long does a torquetube last? bushings? What do you mean "early of late" torquetubes. I assume an 04 is "late" but need to know how long and what type of repairs?

Thanks, and I hope some more knowledgable members can answer your (our) questions.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some thing is twisted which is causing the issues. You should check the run out on the shaft-imput shaft and check the bearing real close.

Late has larger bolts, which isn't just about the bolt. There is less rubber in the bushing.

Randy
Old 10-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Uhhhhh
LGM rear aluminum rear one
And, uhhhh
bearing race in the TT seems to be loose now
Connect the dots...
Old 10-05-2008, 10:05 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Jeff, sorry to hear about that. I learned a TT lesson or 4 myself.

Finally I listened to Danny, and got a Z06 Torque Tube (Larger) and put aluminum bushing front and rear. It only cost me 3 extra torque tubes and one trip to Oklahoma to buy a used worthless one before I finally listened.

I hope you get it all worked out
Old 10-05-2008, 10:54 PM
ROBERT@SS
Advanced

Default Tt

ROGUE VETTE,

How long have you had the alum bushings in?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by ROBERT@SS
ROGUE VETTE,

How long have you had the alum bushings in?
1 year.

This includes 6 days at VIR, 7 Days at Putnam, 4 Days at M-O, 4 Days at BeaveRun and all transits to and from each track with the exception of towing it to VIR once but not back since I drove it home.

I believe Popp has had his in at both ends of the tube for a couple years. Including a One Lap of America, and LOTS of track time.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:48 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Geff Sawtelle has had the aluminum bushings on both ends for 2 years now, with 2 seasons of NASA Time Trials on them. For a track car it just makes sence, I haven't even noticed an increase in drivetrain noise either.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Some thing is twisted which is causing the issues.

Randy
Lets see. Post by Jeff with a GREAT observation by Randy.........and, I,m not even sure if Randy has ever met Jeff, but he describes him pretty well.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:30 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
Lets see. Post by Jeff with a GREAT observation by Randy.........and, I,m not even sure if Randy has ever met Jeff, but he describes him pretty well.
Gee, you guys must be in management - sage observations but no real solution....

How much play should there be between the prop shaft pressed on bearing at the front and the TT housing? The O-ring there is still intact.

SCCACornerworker - what dots? I did not even see the pencil...

I have had the LGM rear bushing in for a couple of years now.

63 Corvette - I lived in Ellensburg and Spokane...TT life depends...doing my time at SRNL now. My 02 ZO6 with 44K mostly track miles is fine, the 99 FRC orginal one lasted ~120K mostly track miles, this one was supposed to have ~60K and has lasted a few months. The 99 and earlier ones are ~6in and the 00 later are ~8 in or so I hear.

Looking for a TT ZO6 preferred - but will take any that is "tight".
Old 10-06-2008, 11:20 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Jeff
Garrett
Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 AM
woosch
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure whatever one you end up with you replace the bearings before you install it. My Z06 had less then 40k on it when we took the torque tube apart and found one of the rear bearings dragging. Replaced them all and didn't have any other issues.

Took another Z06 apart with similar miles and both rear bearings were screwed, dragging noises when turned.

I'll see if I can dig up the part numbers for the bearings, you can buy them for like $15 each.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 AM
MBDowney
Instructor

Default Overstock on new TT's

Odd, I got a "cold call" e-mail just this week from Unidrive in Australia (I'm the webmaster for my local Corvette Club, that's where he got my address most likely). The rep said that they have a surplus of C5 TT's located in their Kentucky warehouse, PNs 12564456 (Auto) and 12564457 (Manual) and since GM doesn't need/want them, they are being offered "at greatly reduced prices" to Corvette Clubs across the US and Australia.

If anyone is interested, let me know via PM with your e-mail addy and I'll forward on the e-mail I have with spec sheets, drawings and other details.

MBDowney
Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by woosch
Make sure whatever one you end up with you replace the bearings before you install it. My Z06 had less then 40k on it when we took the torque tube apart and found one of the rear bearings dragging. Replaced them all and didn't have any other issues.

Took another Z06 apart with similar miles and both rear bearings were screwed, dragging noises when turned.

I'll see if I can dig up the part numbers for the bearings, you can buy them for like $15 each.
I have some part numbers for the bearings, there are two if one and one of the other. (These are the bearings for the Z06 tube, not sure if they are the same for the non-Z). The two front bearings are SKF numbers 6008 2RSJEM and the rear bearing is a 6007 2RSJEM, the front bearings were like $60 each and the rear was $55. I bought the bearings through Motion Industries, not sure if there are better prices out there but I was just happy to find them. Plus I have installed them in 3 different cars without any issues. Hope this helps, also there are some special tools you will need to remove some of the giant snap-rings that hold the bearing supports in place, just fyi.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:50 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MBDowney
Odd, I got a "cold call" e-mail just this week from Unidrive in Australia (I'm the webmaster for my local Corvette Club, that's where he got my address most likely). The rep said that they have a surplus of C5 TT's located in their Kentucky warehouse, PNs 12564456 (Auto) and 12564457 (Manual) and since GM doesn't need/want them, they are being offered "at greatly reduced prices" to Corvette Clubs across the US and Australia.

If anyone is interested, let me know via PM with your e-mail addy and I'll forward on the e-mail I have with spec sheets, drawings and other details.

MBDowney
Contact info please......

I just ran those numbers at the dealership and there is NO special pricing here.........
Old 10-08-2008, 10:55 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Contact info please......

I just ran those numbers at the dealership and there is NO special pricing here.........
X2

Randy
Old 10-08-2008, 11:34 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff.....Call me accidentally lost your #'s.....

Get notified of new replies

To Torque Tube Woes in 99 FRC

Old 10-08-2008, 01:57 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought you were supposed to just run an aluminum one in the rear. But I did mine like 4 years ago when I swapped in a ACPT driveshaft.

So you can run Al in front and both?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:08 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Jeff.....Call me accidentally lost your #'s.....
I will - work got in the way today!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:42 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OKsweetrides
I thought you were supposed to just run an aluminum one in the rear. But I did mine like 4 years ago when I swapped in a ACPT driveshaft.

So you can run Al in front and both?
That way you have no chance of "whip" in the driveshaft. They say that when the car is in nuetral and your foot is off the clutch that it will make a rattling sound but I know that I don't hear it in Geff's car. Not sure if Danny hears that or not.

Quick Reply: Torque Tube Woes in 99 FRC