Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor Runout

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:07 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rotor Runout

I'm asking about Rotors here because you guys go thru more Rotors than most. Should I check runout when I install "new" rotors or only worry about checking runout if I feel a vibration or pulsating pedal or something like thatl?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:52 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I have never had any significant run-out on a new rotor and have never checked them.

If you had run-out you would either feel vibration in the pedal under light to moderate braking or have pad knock-back. Pad knock-back would become evident when you had a long pedal after the first stop with a long highway drive. the brakes would pump up just fine and be solid until the rotor oscillation pushed the pads back again.

I suppose you could have junk/rust/? on the rotor mounting surface that could cause problems too, but I think that would also be a rare occurrence.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:08 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I have never had any significant run-out on a new rotor and have never checked them.

If you had run-out you would either feel vibration in the pedal under light to moderate braking or have pad knock-back. Pad knock-back would become evident when you had a long pedal after the first stop with a long highway drive. the brakes would pump up just fine and be solid until the rotor oscillation pushed the pads back again.

I suppose you could have junk/rust/? on the rotor mounting surface that could cause problems too, but I think that would also be a rare occurrence.
Thanks for the input, that's what I was trying to find out.

Get notified of new replies

To Rotor Runout

Quick Reply: Rotor Runout