Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

goodyear nascar article.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:59 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Default goodyear nascar article.

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/opin...ega/index.html
Old 10-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"We've had [tire problems with] right fronts, right rears, some of the tires looked different. So that's what we're trying to put together right now is to try and find some things that correlate, come together to point to an explanation."
that's easy, they're all made by Goodyear. Problem solved
Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is downright scary; Goodyear needs to get its act together or NASCAR needs to contract Brigestone/Firestone before somebody gets killed.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:01 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

No fan of Goodyear, but Hoosier had serious tire issues during the ARCA race at Talledaga on Friday as well. GY didn't have any significant tire issues with the truck race on Saturday.

Three different chassis/body styles, two different manufacturers. What's the common thread?

Speed?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:45 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Three different chassis/body styles, two different manufacturers. What's the common thread?

Speed?
No, too much weight. They are all stupid heavy for the size for the tire that they are using.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:06 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
No, too much weight. They are all stupid heavy for the size for the tire that they are using.

Plus, at Talladega with the 33 degree banking and the speeds they run around the banks, they get a huge additional downforce that effectively increases the weight of the car a huge amount.

They only run left turns, so the right side tires take a real beating!!

Bob
Old 10-09-2008, 02:04 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I watched some of the race. These tires just exploded, and destroyed the body panels with it. Not to mention taking out a slew of cars with it every time. I saw 2 explosions, and only watched 1/2 hour of the race.

I never liked goodyear. 2 of my truck tires just failed internally for no reason.

Wranger HP's terrible in the snow.
The 1990's gatorbacks were outright dangerous in the rain.
Maratron trailer tires have a bad rap.

I just don't get how the biggest tire company in the world gets away with producing garbage.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:35 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did you expect of a spec series?
Old 10-09-2008, 04:34 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Except that all three series are really close in weight and tire sizes. ARCA is running chassis similar to the old NASCAR setup, and they had problems with Hoosier at speeds pretty close to Cup cars.

NASCAR trucks are more similar to the current COT, but are probably 15 mph slower. They didn't have any problems with GYs.

COTs had problems with GYs on Sunday (and Earnhardt's blowout, *left* rear that time).

That's why I was thinking "speed". But hey, that's why we're armchair tire engineers

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Here's some info about the CoT (Car of Tomorrow) that NASCAR has been running since last year:

Kyle Busch, who won the very first race with the car at Bristol in 2007, proclaimed that the car "sucks" afterward and expanded on this criticism at Dover in 2008 in noting how the Car Of Tomorrow was "hitting a wall of air" in the wake of a leading car, thus neutralizing ability to close up on leaders.

In the 2008 Brickyard 400, the longest run under green flag conditions was 12 laps due to extreme wear of right-side tires, especially the right rear. The Car of Tomorrow, in its first use at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, did not create any improvement of the conditions on the track, which is well known for its rough surface. The lack of downforce on the car and its higher center of gravity created conditions that made it very hard on the right side tires. During the race, the tires used on the cars generally lasted no more than 10 laps at a time.
Boldface above was added by me, but that indicates to me that maybe they've been having more problems with tires since going to the CoT than they did previously.

Bob
Old 10-09-2008, 07:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by the blur
I watched some of the race. These tires just exploded, and destroyed the body panels with it. Not to mention taking out a slew of cars with it every time. I saw 2 explosions, and only watched 1/2 hour of the race.

I never liked goodyear. 2 of my truck tires just failed internally for no reason.

Wranger HP's terrible in the snow.
The 1990's gatorbacks were outright dangerous in the rain.
Maratron trailer tires have a bad rap.

I just don't get how the biggest tire company in the world gets away with producing garbage.
no longer the biggest tire company. When I wet to a NASCAR race I was amazed how small the tires were.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:07 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

They just took out Earnhardt Jr! No warning, just "pow" then into the wall. Just ridiculous
Old 10-12-2008, 08:04 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

No one want to buy some GY cup car scrubs?

Get notified of new replies

To goodyear nascar article.

Quick Reply: goodyear nascar article.