Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flipping Hoosier R6 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Flipping Hoosier R6 Tires

I assume Hoosiers are not directional or left/right designated.

So if I'm getting wear on the outer edges then I can flip the tires right to left so the worn edges are on the inside.

Also if only one side is wearing can the right and left wheels be swapped. This would reverse the direction of the tire. Is this a problem??

DH
Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not directional. Flip them inside out and move them side to side. I move the left to the right side every other event. Since most tracks cause more wear on the left front because we run clockwise. Haven't had any problems. After 3-4 events is when I flip them inside out.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a problem at all! I do it all the time with A6's. Hell, I even did it with Kumho V710's and Goodyear GSCS's!! Directional tread only has one purpose, water evacuation. The only DOT race tires I know of that you did not want to flip on the rim were the old model BFG R1's, they actually have "stagger" in the sidewalls.

Joe
Old 01-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

This info is from the Hoosier Tire website:

Does it matter which direction I mount my Hoosier Racing Tires?

Tires can be reversed or flipped but not until they have been run for at least four complete heat cycles. If this is not done the tire could be damaged and may fail.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:37 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Not a problem ---- Have done it for several years now. It is the best way to maximize the life of an expensive set of tires.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
This info is from the Hoosier Tire website:

Does it matter which direction I mount my Hoosier Racing Tires?

Tires can be reversed or flipped but not until they have been run for at least four complete heat cycles. If this is not done the tire could be damaged and may fail.
Does this mean 4 race days or 4 race sessions ??????

DH
Old 01-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

From the Tire Rack:

The first time a competition tire is used is the most important. During that run, its tread compound is stretched, some of the weaker bonds between the rubber molecules will be broken (which generates some of the heat). If the tires are initially run too hard or too long, some of the stronger bonds will also be broken which will reduces the tire's grip and wear qualities.

Running new tires through an easy heat cycle first, and allowing them to relax allows the rubber bonds to relink in a more uniform manner than they were originally manufactured. It actually makes them more consistent in strength and more resistant to losing their strength the next time they are used. An important heat cycling step is that after being brought up to temperature, the tires require a minimum of 24 to 48 hours to relax and reform the bonds between their rubber molecules.

I would say, 1 HPDE day. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 01-25-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:56 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 heat cycles means 4 sessions.

4 race days the tires would be non-competitive already, lol.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I would say, 4 race days. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.
Thanks for all the info

I'm going to wait till after this up comming event (which will be the 4th) and then flip them.

DH
Old 01-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by magnetic1
4 heat cycles means 4 sessions.

4 race days the tires would be non-competitive already, lol.
Well for my level competition they will be getting way more than 4 track days ...................

DH
Old 01-25-2009, 07:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

4 heat cycles = 4 times the tires are up to 180* or 4 good sessions

but what the hell, flip them as you need them.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

I think there's a big difference between a day of racing vs. 3 x 25 minute HPDE sessions per day, which is what I think DH and I are referring to.

A complete heat cycle is both the warming up and proper cool down of the tire - Tire Rack and a few other sources say 24 hours between heat cycles, which you don't get between HPDE sessions (you might get 2 hours between sessions).

I agree, if it was a full race day for a heat cycle, that wouldn't work - tire would be gone within 2 days vs. 8 to 12 HPDE days - different calculation for HPDE. Just a thought - your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 01-25-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
4 heat cycles = 4 times the tires are up to 180* or 4 good sessions

but what the hell, flip them as you need them.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Thanks everyone for the FLIPPIN advise ......

DH
Old 01-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From the Tire Rack:

The first time a competition tire is used is the most important. During that run, its tread compound is stretched, some of the weaker bonds between the rubber molecules will be broken (which generates some of the heat). If the tires are initially run too hard or too long, some of the stronger bonds will also be broken which will reduces the tire's grip and wear qualities.

Running new tires through an easy heat cycle first, and allowing them to relax allows the rubber bonds to relink in a more uniform manner than they were originally manufactured. It actually makes them more consistent in strength and more resistant to losing their strength the next time they are used. An important heat cycling step is that after being brought up to temperature, the tires require a minimum of 24 to 48 hours to relax and reform the bonds between their rubber molecules.

I would say, 1 HPDE day. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.
So it shouldn't hurt to run a brand new set 3-5 sessions on an HPDE or TT session day? I just got my first set and don't want to eff them up by running them up to temp one session and then running them again and again in a day with a couple hour cool-off between track sessions.

If not, any recommendations on how to heat cycle them good before a track day? I don't have anyplace to just get a good cycle on them other than the street...
Old 01-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Recommend only going 7/10s the first day on brand new R-compound tires to heat cycle and scuff them up to eliminate the tire mold release compound - then "go for it" on the 2nd day.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:23 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

I think there's a big difference between a day of racing vs. 3 x 25 minute HPDE sessions per day, which is what I think DH and I are referring to.

A complete heat cycle is both the warming up and proper cool down of the tire - Tire Rack and a few other sources say 24 hours between heat cycles, which you don't get between HPDE sessions (you might get 2 hours between sessions).

I agree, if it was a full race day for a heat cycle, that wouldn't work - tire would be gone within 2 days vs. 8 to 12 HPDE days - different calculation for HPDE. Just a thought - your mileage may vary.
That's not true. When they are talking about 24 hours between heat cycles, they are referring to the FIRST heat cycle. This is the one that Hoosier says is important to wait 24 hours to prolong tire life.

After that... EACH time you get the tire up to temp is a heat cycle.

(3) 25 min. HPDE sessions = 3 HC
(3) 60 min enduros = 3HC

Get notified of new replies

To Flipping Hoosier R6 Tires

Old 01-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

That's not true. When they are talking about 24 hours between heat cycles, they are referring to the FIRST heat cycle. This is the one that Hoosier says is important to wait 24 hours to prolong tire life.

After that... EACH time you get the tire up to temp is a heat cycle.

(3) 25 min. HPDE sessions = 3 HC
(3) 60 min enduros = 3HC
This will be good info to remember when I get my next set, which I hope wont be too soon.

Does driving to the event at 70 miles an hour count. They get warm but not hot ?????????????????

DH
Old 01-25-2009, 07:46 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
This will be good info to remember when I get my next set, which I hope wont be too soon.

Does driving to the event at 70 miles an hour count. They get warm but not hot ?????????????????

DH
Depends on who you talk to.. some say that is a HC.. some say you need to get it up to 180 degrees. Ive never driven to the track on Hoosiers before, u aint scared of getting flats?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Depends on who you talk to.. some say that is a HC.. some say you need to get it up to 180 degrees. Ive never driven to the track on Hoosiers before, u aint scared of getting flats?
I drove 3 years on Nitto R2's on my DD C5 ........ I got plug kit, needle nose pliars and a pump just in case.

I don't really have a choice either

DH

Quick Reply: Flipping Hoosier R6 Tires