Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Winner Underweight - No DQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:39 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Daytona Winner Underweight - No DQ

I stumbled across this on the GARRA forum:

http://community.grand-am.com/forums...a-1cea06e33a84

Roger Edmunson posted -

From the press release:"The winning No. 58 Brumos Racing Porsche Riley was found to be out of compliance for minimum vehicle weight in post-race technical inspection. The car was found to be 12 pounds underweight. The team was fined $5,000 in addition to five driver, team and manufacturer points. This will not affect the race results."

Curiously, I found no such press release at the GARRA website
Old 01-28-2009, 01:11 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting that it did change the race results. Wonder how many other cars were underweight?

That being said it was the best finish I have ever seen to an endurance race.

Larry
Old 01-28-2009, 03:02 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Be interesting to see what happens.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:13 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is in line with the new "political" climate... as long as you apologize and "pay the fine", its ok to break the rules
Old 01-28-2009, 05:11 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45
This is in line with the new "political" climate... as long as you apologize and "pay the fine", its ok to break the rules
I'm certainly NOT condoning breaking the rules, but from a practical standpoint, the underweight 12 lbs equate to just 2 gallons of fuel less than the team engineers estimated would be left in the tanks at the end of the race.

Hardly big-time cheating, if you ask me.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 01-28-2009, 05:14 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Between the lost oil, water, rubbed off splitter material (jabroc), missing bodywork, etc., It wouldn't be that hard to be underweight at the end of a 24 hour race.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by TLGunman
Between the lost oil, water, rubbed off splitter material (jabroc), missing bodywork, etc., It wouldn't be that hard to be underweight at the end of a 24 hour race.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Gatorac
Pro

It's not the big of a deal to have a close race when you have a full course caution on average of every hour. I would actually expect more cars on the lead lap in the final hour.

How many pit stops happened under green? Looked like a fricken Nascar race for cryin' out loud. "Lucky Dog"? Phooey. That's not endurance racing.

It was a good final 3 hours though even though it seemed to lack the drama of a "real" endurance race.

Of course, this is just my opinion.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:51 PM
flink
Racer

And you could surely scrape 3lbs of rubber off each tire. I'd guess that they
actually exclude the tires during weighing?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Very true. And in modern/current autosports they never change the outcome of a race. There may fines or points or both, but they won't take away a win.

With that said, JPM would have won that race if not for the HP/top speed advantage of the Porsches. It is no different than LMP1 and LMP2 ALL last season - the P2 Porsches could get very close to or beat the Audis on tight courses due to "harder" driving and better handling, but on open courses, no chance. At Daytona in the infield the 01 would close up every time and on the straight it was out-muscled.

I am always for the under-powered, better handling, harder-driven car. Now let the hating begin...
Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Very true. And in modern/current autosports they never change the outcome of a race. There may fines or points or both, but they won't take away a win.
At last year's ALMS Detroit Grand Prix the LMP1 class winner Audi R10 was DQ'd for being underweight in the post-race inspection and the win was awarded to the Intersport Lola. F1 and ALMS have routinely DQ'd podium finishers for rules violations.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I would aggree that it was most likely not intentional. A rule is only a rule if it is inforced. There is a minimum weight, not an approximate minimum weight. He should have been DQ'ed.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

you should account for that in your pre-race setup then.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:13 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
While I would aggree that it was most likely not intentional. A rule is only a rule if it is inforced. There is a minimum weight, not an approximate minimum weight. He should have been DQ'ed.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:23 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

It is not always what you do but who you are.. I have been involved with pro motorsports of all types for over 35 years... Nothing has changed one bit if this is all true. My slide throttle setups were made illegal for the WSC and trans-am cars back when the Riley Scott Fords were winning like crazy with Weaver EFR and others as being too expensive and propritory.. They cost less than the approved 3 piece magnesium setup..LOL...
Dave
Old 01-29-2009, 09:03 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Rules are rules and not guidelines. If the struggleing under budget team is able to abide by them, then I see no excuse for the well funded teams even have a slight problem. This non-DQ is only going to make for more concessions in the future and when the example is finally set with another team, how will that look?

And the best finish in an endurance race, IMO, was the GT2 finish at Sebring 2 years ago.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

I find it funny that there would be no question what to do if someone came in underweight at a NASA race.

Get notified of new replies

To Daytona Winner Underweight - No DQ

Old 01-29-2009, 09:15 AM
GAS
Instructor

I am another vote for "A RULE IS A RULE". Kind of like our infamous ex president that said "I did not have sex with that women". It's OK to cheat a little?? Come on people.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

For those who don't know or forgot, NASCAR is now in charge of GrandAm, and NASCAR doesn't disqualify winners. They may move the winner to the back of the pack so Tony Stewart can win, but didn't disqualify the real winner.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:15 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racerbob4
For those who don't know or forgot, NASCAR is now in charge of GrandAm, and NASCAR doesn't disqualify winners. They may move the winner to the back of the pack so Tony Stewart can win, but didn't disqualify the real winner.
What else did people expect?

Quick Reply: Daytona Winner Underweight - No DQ