Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Solo car number size requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default SCCA Solo car number size requirements?

I'm getting ready to buy a number set, and I wondered what size was required - I was digging out the GCR when I figured someone here would know off the top of their head

THANKS!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

if I remember correctly, the #s need to be a min. of 8" high, and 1" thick strokes them, and the letters must be 4" with the same stroke.

Last year in Topeka, after running the same #s for the past 3 years, they said "sir, you'r #s failed tech... they're 1/4" too small..."

I think mine were 7 3/4" high. Luckily since my car was black, and the #s were white, they felt they were still readable.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:26 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut
if I remember correctly, the #s need to be a min. of 8" high, and 1" thick strokes them, and the letters must be 4" with the same stroke.
This is correct. www.solotime.com has everything you'll need.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:01 AM
racerjon1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The short answer:
Numbers must be a minimum of 8" high with a 1.25" stroke. Class letters must be a minimum of 4" high with a 0.75" stroke. In all cases, the height of the class letters must be between 25% and 75% of the height of the numbers. Stroke width must be at least 10% of the height. (Straight from the rules)

This is a post/write-up I did for our local SCCA Region a few months ago:

What defines a racecar?

Is it a roll bar? No, Police cars have those.

Stickers showing off the parts you have on the car? Nah, show cars have those in spades.

Want to know?

Drive a car by a school bus full of elementary school kids and they will let you know when.

So when is it?

It’s when the number dominates the car.

There is a reason why the #3 is synonymous with Dale Earnhardt Sr. Why when I say “the #43” and you think of Richard Petty. It’s why the #14 has been reserved for the use of AJ Foyt in IndyCar racing.

So it stands to reason that if you want your car to work as a competition vehicle when autocrossing you should have very visible numbers on the side of it. (Oh.. and it’s in the rules as well.)

The SCCA Solo Events rule book has an entire section on numbers, and even a clarification in the appendix.

So let’s break down Section 3.7 – VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION:

SCCA National Solo Rules wrote:
3.7.A: All vehicles must display numbers and class letters on both sides, which must be readable by Timing & Scoring, Course, and Grid workers at all times.
What this means is what it says - All cars must have numbers and class letters on both sides, and they must be able to be read by timing and scoring along with course workers. “Able to be read” is defined more in depth later.

3.7.B: Only one set of numbers and class letters may be visible while the vehicle is running.
This means that you can’t have another set of numbers on the car.. like “14ES” if you are registered as “14ASP”

C. Class shall be represented by the upper-case abbreviated form rather than be spelled out. Ladies’ classes shall be indicated by the letter “L” following the class letters. (Example: “BSPL” instead of “B Street Prepared Ladies”).
Hey.. that one is even spelled out for you. I am not going to bother explaining. (I will mention that I have seen something like, “45 TIR” for street-tire classes. Which, by the rules doesn’t work. (sorry no picture of that)

D. Numbers and class letters should be positioned next to each other. All letters and numbers must be on body panels, not on windows. All numbers and class letters must use the same typeface and the same color, and this color must provide adequate contrast to the background color (see Appendix F for examples).
Let’s break this one down, because it seems to be one of the more misunderstood…

Numbers and class letters should be next to each other. Adjacent to. Not numbers on the door and letters on the window, or fenders, or, well.. anywhere else.

Where are the class letters? Is XP the sponsor or the class? See the problem?

All letters and numbers must be on body panels, not on windows.

This doesn’t work.

All letters must have matching typeface (font) and color: See the example above with the “XP” not having a matching typeface just adds to the confusion.

Colors must provide contrast to the background color. Dark colors on a dark color doesn’t work, light colors on a light car doesn’t work… (As I have heard said, red is dark, black is dark.. so red and black doesn’t work)

I hope I don’t have to explain this example, and even though it was probably put on by tech, it still doesn’t work – this is why tech should have some purple masking tape.

At least the class letters are ok.. but white on silver.. yea.. that’s just not working.

This one didn’t pass tech at the 2008 SCCA Solo National Championships – so if you THINK it might work, you might want to go one extra step to be sure.

One of the worst examples I have ever seen.

E. Numbers must be a minimum of 8" high with a 1.25" stroke. Class letters must be a minimum of 4" high with a 0.75" stroke. In all cases, the height of the class letters must be between 25% and 75% of the height of the numbers. Stroke width must be at least 10% of the height. (See Appendix F.)
This one is the one you get to do math with. When we work tech at national events, this is where we come out with little rulers and such.

Don’t let anyone ever tell you size doesn’t matter. (At least in the case of numbers on racecars) The bigger it is, the easier it is to read. Notice these example pictures are kind of small – I did that on purpose. If you want a good test, take a picture of your car, resize it to thumbnail size. Show it to someone who has never seen it before for less than one second. If they can’t tell you what number it is, go back and order new numbers. (If you haven’t ordered numbers yet.. well.. make sure you wont have to order new ones, they can be expensive)

Example one.. class letters too large. It is readable, but it isn’t right, and at a glance it is good to have the different sizes.

Think this one will pass my thumbnail test?

For reference, here is the image used in the SCCA Appendix:

F. The “1” on two-driver cars and the “L” on Ladies class cars are subject to all of the above requirements with regard to placement, color, size, and stroke.
We also see this one violated at local events. I will dig up some pictures and update the thread.. Essentially though, putting the “L” or “P” or “T” somewhere far away from the number and class letters doesn’t help anything..

G. Karts may use numbers and class letters of reduced size provided that the following conditions are met: 1) Numbers must be displayed on the front and rear in addition to both sides; 2) Class letters must be on both sides; 3) In no case may the numbers be smaller than 6" in height with ¾” stroke, using a high-contrast color and background.
This one explains the rule for karts.. so it won’t apply to most of us. But you see there is still a lot of attention paid to being able to see the number.

Finally, some good examples:

To prove that it can be done in tape – good size, correct ratio for numbers:letters.. the stroke isn’t really enough, but for a local event, it isn’t horrible:

Dark numbers on a light background:

Light numbers on a dark background:

More light numbers on a dark background:

Of course, sometimes you don’t want to have a lot of different numbers and letters to keep track of, so you want a single-piece number plate – here are a couple that work:

So hopefully that helps…

Take this time to make sure your numbers are ok. Remember, you can’t have an SCR-SCCA annual tech without SCCA Nationals-spec numbers. Make sure that you are not the cause of a numbers-related delay or scoring problem.

Then, once you get them right, drive by an elementary school and watch the kids pointing and cheering.

Jon K
Old 01-29-2009, 10:35 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Folks, this was FANTASTIC - thanks!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:38 PM
sammm
Racer

Default sorry to hi-jack

I have to buy a set of AX numbers/letters too. What is preferred...Static-cling or self-adhesive?

What type are you buying billla?
Old 01-29-2009, 01:37 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by sammm
What type are you buying billla?
I bought the reusable vinyl numbers:

- 2 sets of 8" numbers, block, opposite slants
- 2 sets of 4" class letters (SS), block, opposite slants
- 2 chunks of material to put stickers on

http://www.soloperformance.com/Solot...et_p_1380.html

Last edited by billla; 01-29-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:22 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Most sign/graphics shops can make static cling number sets

I got my numbers done in black on a clear background. The cost was $40 for a pair and they came on a plastic-coated sheet for storage. The shop said they could use any Windows True-Type font and I had a choice of somewhere around 20 colors.

Static cling sets will work fine for autocross but they probably won't stay on for high-speed events like track days. Reusable adhesive vinyl works best for that but from what I have read, the adhesive can stand only so many applications for it begins to lose its effectiveness.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by billla
Folks, this was FANTASTIC - thanks!
This helps me too. Thanks.

My SS were the correct size at 4 inches, but my 586 is only 7". That's OK for where I run locally. I have to make new ones for Dixie anyway, as I have a different number.

Also, I know I'm missing the front Hoosier Sticker. Stickers are on the way.

In case you are wondering, mine are made of a 3XL T-shirt. The Pfadt logo and the car number/class are printed on a 16" x 40" piece of black shirt, affixed to the car under contact paper. I use the contact paper to prevent rock chips from the sticky tires. (Note: The rocker panel in this picture did not have the contact paper installed yet.)

Last edited by Datawiz; 01-29-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Yes, I'll be ordering a set of #s this year from solotime as well, and are going to use the re-usable adhesive. You're garunteed to get good #s from them since they've been doing this a while adn also that they're a sponsor of the SCCA and merch partner now.

I'm buying a yellow sheet of is as well to put my Hoosier decals on since they are not fun to remove ( at least the white ones sucked trying to get those of black cars ) and I don't want to take any chances. The mandated SCCA ones will go on that as well since i'm already buying a sheet.

BTW.. racerjon... GREAT writeup there.! I wish more people saw that locally...
Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 PM
sammm
Racer

Originally Posted by Datawiz
In case you are wondering, mine are made of a 3XL T-shirt. The Pfadt logo and the car number/class are printed on a 16" x 40" piece of black shirt, affixed to the car under contact paper. I use the contact paper to prevent rock chips from the sticky tires. (Note: The rocker panel in this picture did not have the contact paper installed yet.)
Very slick! What do you have wrapped around and inside the front fender well?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Dirt.

Nothing in the wheel wells.

Last edited by Datawiz; 01-29-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Everyone should have a $25,000 printer lying around for just such a purpose.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 PM
sammm
Racer

Originally Posted by Datawiz
Everyone should have a $25,000 printer lying around for just such a purpose.
Absolutely!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought 10" reusable vinyl outline numbers/letters from here:
http://www.izoomgraphics.com/index.p...=index&cPath=1

haven't used them in competition yet, but they looked great in the garage...
Old 01-30-2009, 10:55 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

For those that don't want to leave temporary, event-specific stickers attached directly to your paint after an event -

Here's a trick I've always used when given stickers at event registration that I don't have time to do anything else with other then just stick it directly to the car (like a TireRack windshield header or Hoosier stickers) ----

Take the sticker off it's backing and stick it to your SHIRT before applying to the car. It will grab a lot of lint from your shirt, reducing the stickyness of the adhesive just enough so that the sticker will stay attached to the car through the weekend, -BUT- it will be MUCH easier to remove at the end of the event. It has less chance to leave adhesive on the paint after removal on a hot day as well.

Some people look at me like I'm nuts when they see me do this in the pits, but when they understand why I'm doing it, they usually say "Man, I gotta do that, too!".
Old 01-30-2009, 11:49 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
Take the sticker off it's backing and stick it to your SHIRT before applying to the car.
Cool approach to free "low-stick"!

You can get sheets of low-stick vinyl from Solotime as well...but it ain't free!

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Solo car number size requirements?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:51 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Pylons
I bought 10" reusable vinyl outline numbers/letters from here:
http://www.izoomgraphics.com/index.p...=index&cPath=1
Those are cool! The problem I faced was that I don't have an 'assigned' number, so I had to buy the full set so I can run whatever is assigned at the event.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
Cool approach to free "low-stick"!

You can get sheets of low-stick vinyl from Solotime as well...but it ain't free!
true...but paying for the vinyl may be worth it if it's a sticker you need to put on/off mulitple times that's what I'm going to do for the nat'l autox event decals this season
Old 03-05-2009, 04:56 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Crystalracer, how did that "low-tack" vinyl I gave you work? I haven't stocked up yet (as said above it is expensive), but it is handy for autocrossers. If what I gave you isn't the same as solotime sells, then I have no idea what they are using.

btw, I still have your helmet banner sitting here.....collecting dust...sorry.

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo car number size requirements?