Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just getting by- tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:23 PM
REDLYNER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just getting by- tire questions

I was about to pick up some scrubs, but with them being my first set, I had a couple of noob questions I was hoping you guys could help with.

I'll be using wagon wheels on my '01 Z06 as my autocross wheels, and through reading the forum have seen what most recommend for tire sizes. But they are not available to me at this time.

So, I was looking at some A6 245/45's for the front and A6 275/35's for the rear. Assuming the scrubs are around 50% tread left, will this be better than just running on my street tires? Or am I wasting my money?

Also, how many autocross events could I expect for them to last? I know that is a hard question to answer, but I'm looking for ballparks. Like one event? Five events?

Last noob question- if I ran straight slicks, what is the size recommended for the wagon wheels- 280/640? What about the front 17x8.5?
Old 01-30-2009, 07:54 PM
R Mackow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first AX wheels and tires were C5 wagon wheels(17 and 18") I put Hoosier A3SO4s on: 275s on the front and 305s on the rear(actually I bought them used from a terrific autoxer.) This combination worked great. In the rear i needed a 1/8" shim that I had a local sheet metal fabricator make for about $10/each. I needed the shim because the rear was set a 1 deg. negative camber, so the tires rubbed the black plastic wheel well. The shim took care of it. thhe hubs projection is shallow so an 1/8" is about the max. shim thickness you can do.
I also ran these tires at a HPDE event where I corded them when I spun out.
I typically. buy scrubs and do about 10 low speed NCCC, 14 high speed NCCC and about 5 SCCA autox events, plus two HPDEs on one set of scrubs. I've used A6s and v710s...depends on what's available.
I also suggesst getting rid of the OEM pads and going to a Hawk HP+.
They are dirty ask heck, but you'll enjoy the stopping power. Also, learn how to bleed your brakes yourself to keep the brake pedal firm.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 PM
REDLYNER
Burning Brakes

Thanks! All good advice.

I have autocrossed from age 17 until I was 25- but never had any cash to actually put into it. I'm starting off with scrubs because I want to learn how to treat race tires before I start dropping the high dollars on new sets.

The guy I was buying from has a set of 295 R6's- will it kill me to run R6's on the back and A6's on the front??

Also, if I'm running the 295's on the rear, will I push too much with the 245's up front?
Old 01-31-2009, 03:54 AM
Armycop
Drifting

Originally Posted by REDLYNER
Thanks! All good advice.

I have autocrossed from age 17 until I was 25- but never had any cash to actually put into it. I'm starting off with scrubs because I want to learn how to treat race tires before I start dropping the high dollars on new sets.

The guy I was buying from has a set of 295 R6's- will it kill me to run R6's on the back and A6's on the front??

Also, if I'm running the 295's on the rear, will I push too much with the 245's up front?
Welcome back to the addiction! I did my first season on V710's (295 front/315 rears on ZO6 rims) and it's a night/day difference from the best street tire. If you keep your size stagger near stock you shouldn't have problems with understeer. As for mixing the '6's, the R's might not heat up enough to get good grip, as the A's in back would, IMHO. I kept the same setup for HPDE's as well.
And definately step up to better brake pads; stocks will work, but HP+'s work better!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:01 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I may be off base here as I'm new to auto-xing my Z06, but if you're planning on attending SCCA events those wheels wouldn't be legal for SS as they're not the same size as stock for your Z06.

Also, SS requires DOT tires.

Just a heads-up, and one of the more experienced folks should check me on all of this.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

You need to put your race tires on your stock wheels, the wagon wheels, although smaller aren't really legal.

A6's don't last all that long anyway, to my mind you are better off running V710's since they last a lot longer and if you aren't trying to be nationally competitive they are plenty sticky. A6's don't have a lot of tread anyway, if you are looking at scrubs that were used on the track (as opposed to autocrossed) then they were more severly heat cycled (and probably not as sticky) as they used to be (or else they wouldn't be selling them).

Just my opinion but to my mind it probably not worth it unless you can buy them for MUCH less (like 20%) of the original price.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:50 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by billla
I may be off base here as I'm new to auto-xing my Z06, but if you're planning on attending SCCA events those wheels wouldn't be legal for SS as they're not the same size as stock for your Z06.

Also, SS requires DOT tires.

Just a heads-up, and one of the more experienced folks should check me on all of this.
You are correct about wheel sizes, but understand that V710's and A6's are considered DOT legal.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:20 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by thehammer69
You are correct about wheel sizes, but understand that V710's and A6's are considered DOT legal.
Yep, but he mentioned 'straight slicks' as well - I should have been more specific.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

245/275 combo will work just fine. 275/295 combo would work even better. Assuming your wheels are 17x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear the 275/295 combo will fit just fine. Especially with the A6's.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:51 PM
REDLYNER
Burning Brakes

Considering I have a cam, long tube headers, high flow cats, tuning, etc- I'm not too worried about the SS class rules.

I believe I will be ok with the wagon wheels in ASP- I also thought I could run straight slicks in ASP, is that not the case? Just wondering- I'm sure I can find that with some more research.

Again, I have about 20 races under my belt- but I never did anything besides show up and race. I'm taking it seriously this year and hope to compete locally.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:27 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 245 front 275 rear Toyo set up on my 3rd set (back up set) of track wheels and they will be fine. Just running a R compound will be VERY noticable compared to streets. 50% left will get you a few events at least (3-5??). your question about is it worth your money...that depends on how much you pay.. I wouldn pay more then 60.00/tire if they have 50% left but thats me.

Note ** about A6s, R6s etc all being DOT.. it doesnt matter... if a LEO pulls you over even if they are DOT, they are BALD in their minds. having one or two shallow grooves doesnt appear safe to the LEO and if they want they can give you a ticket. Its like running street tires that are bald, they are fully DOT certified but not legal.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:36 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

you can buy 1/8" (3mm approx) spacers on ebay.... if you need them.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:38 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by REDLYNER
I believe I will be ok with the wagon wheels in ASP- I also thought I could run straight slicks in ASP
Good to know; having all the information helps

My read of the rules is a no for slicks in ASP...link to the full rules is at the bottom of my post. The rules are your friend; I almost made some small mods that would have pushed me out of SS right after I got my Z06.

15.4 WHEELS
Vehicles may only exceed the allowances of 13.4 as specified herein.
A. Wheels of any diameter, width, or offset may be used...

15.3 TIRES
Tires must meet the eligibility requirements for Stock Category...

13.3 TIRES
C. The tire model must have Department of Transportation approval.

E. No racing tire or recap (on any casing) may be used. Siping or
re-grooving of tires is not permitted.

H. Each tire must have non-zero measurable tread depth ...

2009 SCCA National Solo Rules (1.6M PDF)
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_R...Solo_Rules.pdf
Old 01-31-2009, 09:57 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A cam puts you into Street Mod...
Old 01-31-2009, 10:13 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by avizandum
A cam puts you into Street Mod...
That was kinda why I posted the link to the rules; really need to look through the "etc." too I'd suggest detailing ALL the mods to be sure.

Street Prepared:
AA. Camshafts and related parts must remain standard

Last edited by billla; 01-31-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Just getting by- tire questions

Quick Reply: Just getting by- tire questions