Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chaparral 2H

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Chaparral 2H

They were at it again...this time the Chaparral 2H was driven. The 2H has not been driven in public since 1969 so that made it extra special.

The 2H was referred to as the "whale" - I guess because of the long body and big tail.

This is an interesting car.
Starting at the rear:

The wing is polished aluminum and has an adjustable "aileron" (for want of better description). The wing is hydraulicly operated by a pedal in the cockpit.

The pivot point on the wing allows air pressure to hold the wing in the down (max downforce) position. On the straightaway, the driver would hold the wing pedal to the floor to put the wing in the horizontal position.

Due to a rules change, the wing had to be mounted to the chassis instead of the rear suspension. Under max downforce this caused the chassis to compress the suspension. To counteract this, Jim Hall installed an "active" system of 2 cylinders (like shocks) that pressurized and push up to counteract the downforce on the chassis (or transfer the downforce to the suspension depending on how you look at it).

The engine was actually a structural member of the car. The rear suspension was attached to the engine. The rear crossmember looks like it is hinged in the middle allowing rear toe to be set. And the crossmember can be tilted fore and aft.

The transmission is a standard, but uses a torque converter instead of a cluth. The car was started in gear. Since there was no clutch pedal, the driver left-foot braked for the turns and then pushed the wing pedal with his left foot on the straights.

Originally, the cockpit was enclosed. The driver sat down very low in the car. The clear side windows were necessary for the driver to see out the side of the car because he couldn't see over the body. The rearview mirrors were originally mounted low on the body behind the front tires. The driver also had to climb into the cockpit through the small side windows. The 2H driver (forgot his name) refused to drive the car with the enclosed cockpit so they designed a clear plastic cockpit cover with an opening (like an Indy car). As you can see from the pics, the driver still sat very low in the car but in a more upright position than before.

The battery was located in front of the driver - below his knees.

Tires - the back tires are ~19" tread width. The front are ~15" tread width.

this is the air intake on the top back of the car for the radiator

videos to come
The following users liked this post:
Mike Kendel (01-18-2020)
Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS Racing

The 2H driver (forgot his name) refused to drive the car with the enclosed cockpit so they designed a clear plastic cockpit cover with an opening (like an Indy car). As you can see from the pics, the driver still sat very low in the car but in a more upright position than before.
Driver was John Surtees
Old 02-03-2009, 02:04 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Wow. Talk about a RADICAL design for the times. This must have been the prototype for the Mach 5...

Those vortex generators in that last shot are a real trip. This must have been the first time such things were used on a 'streamlined' race car...
Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

starting engine

idling

putting the top on

clockwise pass
Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by joemoia
Driver was John Surtees
Yep. I think you're right.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Ahh yeah, that is awesome. There are some great design details on that car. As usual you made my day! Great photos and I always love hearing them run.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff... I got the chance to visit the Museum back in December, and the one thing I had heard is that all of the cars were "ready to drive" - the oil catch pans under them confirmed it. Wish I could have seen even one of them drive.. oh well, thanks for sharing that.

Panoramic I did of the museum, if any of you are driving through Midland, TX on I-20 stop by.. it's RIGHT by the interstate (you can actually see traffic in the videos above)

Jon K
Old 02-03-2009, 08:31 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by racerjon1
Panoramic I did of the museum, if any of you are driving through Midland, TX on I-20 stop by.. it's RIGHT by the interstate (you can actually see traffic in the videos above)

Jon K
Everytime I've driven through there I've really wished I could stop - but have always been pressed for time.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Very, very !!

Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

One of the requirements for putting the cars there was that they would stay ready to drive. The tires were so old on the 2H that they had to keep the speed down. They are trying to find some tires to fit. Mr. Hall said they had to be treaded tires because you never know what the conditions might be when they are driven.

After the cars are driven they have to drain the fluids before putting them back inside the museum.

I'm fortunate that I live here. We usually get a few days notice when they are going to drive one of the cars. The videos can't do them justice.

And you just can't imagine all the cutting edge thinking and technology that went into those cars. Just about everywhere you look you just go When you look at the spartan shops compared to today's racing teams it is really amazing.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Need to get back down to TX so I can check those out.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:18 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I saw the 2H practice for the 1970 CanAm at TWS in Bryan, Texas. It had a HUGE wing mid-mounted to the chassis.......I mean HUGE, like an Outlaw car wing. It didn't race because the driver (Tom Dutton, I think) lost it and crashed in practice, tweaking the chassis. I got pictures of the car on the trailer, and movies of the race. Mario was on pole, Denny Hulme lead most of the race, but burned a piston, so Bruce Mclaren won. Jack Brabham was second in the Boss 429er Ford. Jack and Mario went thru 13 aluminum 494CID Boss 429ers during practice and the race.....those were the days!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I saw the 2H practice for the 1970 CanAm at TWS in Bryan, Texas. It had a HUGE wing mid-mounted to the chassis.......I mean HUGE, like an Outlaw car wing.
I remember the "mid-wing" 2H. I couldn't find any pictures of the modified car via an internet search, although there are several models available of the Surtees-Laguna Seca race configuration:

http://www.alpimodel.com/minichamps/430691497.html
Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

...Jack and Mario went thru 13 aluminum 494CID Boss 429ers during practice and the race.....those were the days!
unlined blocks???
Old 02-04-2009, 03:10 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

I believe that Jim Hall said the 2H was designed to run with NO wing, but after it was built, they found out that it had so much lift that they had to run a wing, They chose to run a huge one that was mid mounted to load the entire chassis, but I guess it had some handling problems because it only ran in that configuration once, and even today, I think Jim Hall considers that car his only failure.

I don't know if the Ford blocks were lined or not, cause I never saw one opened up. Mario was MUCH faster than anyone else in qualifying. However they started out with an engine in each car, and twelve (12) spare motors in plastic on a flat bed trailer!!!!!!! (I have pictures)
At the end of the race, only (Sir) Jack Brabham's car was running. Mario lead by a mile and the engine blew up on the second lap (I think).

I got there on Wednesday, and got to meet a bunch of neat guys, including Sterling Moss, and Denny Hulme. However, I also got yelled at and thrown out of the McLaren garage for taking pictures of the wrong stuff.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 02-05-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:22 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

...However, I also got yelled at and thrown out of the McLaren garage for taking pictures of the wrong stuff.
pics?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:44 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by joemoia
I remember the "mid-wing" 2H. I couldn't find any pictures of the modified car via an internet search, although there are several models available of the Surtees-Laguna Seca race configuration:
Found this picture

Said the mid wing was mounted to run Laguna-Seca in October 1969but the car died on the pace lap and did not compete.

I bet that thing scared the hell out of the competition. Pretty funny looking with that huge mid-wing. I bet it had lots of downforce.

It doesn't appear to be movable like the rear wing or wings on other Chaparral cars. I guess they needed lots of downforce for Laguna Seca.

Get notified of new replies

To Chaparral 2H

Old 02-04-2009, 05:50 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

probably the same reaction I had when I saw this car

Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Scott thanks for posting the great pictues of the 2H with the huge wing. Were you living in Midland back in the 60s, and if so, did you know Jerry Hanna who worked for Jim Hall......and (briefly) owned one of the original Grand Sport Corvettes?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Nope. I moved to Midland in 1991.

I drove past the Chaparral Cars buildings for years and never put 2 and 2 together. Someone even mentioned that there was a race track South of town but I still didn't get it.

Quick Reply: Chaparral 2H