Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[VA/DC/MD/WV]Cone Killers Car Control Clinic - Sat 3/28/09

Old 02-03-2009, 11:36 PM
LilR3dCorvette
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St: Jude Donor '10

Default [VA/DC/MD/WV]Cone Killers Car Control Clinic - Sat 3/28/09

Cone Killers Car Control Clinic

Saturday, March 28, 2009 from 6:45 AM TO 5:30 PM

Jefferson Circuit, Summit Point, West Virginia

RAIN OR SHINE

***OPEN to ALL passenger car marques, coupes or convertibles, so tell a friend and spread the word to other car clubs. NO ROLL BAR OR FIRE EXTINGUISHER REQUIRED!***

If you HATE driving, come on out anyway to develop your confidence and skill.

If you LOVE driving, come on out and love it more.

Either way, we promise great fun, a great day, great learning and great camaraderie in a safe environment, a mere hour and a half drive for most of you.

ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED for this event. There will be a Plethora of Patient Instructors to help and guide you through all the fun.

HEAR what High School Drivers' Ed teachers were forbidden to tell you!

AMAZE your friends with your Driving Knowledge!

FEEL your car do things it has Never Done Before!

LEARN Astounding Facts about driving!

SPEED legally!

NO hyperbole is too extravagant to describe the Thrills That Await!

For your morning pleasures, we have devised a series of Devilish, Demonic and Diabolical exercises to stretch your thinking as well as your driving skills; in the afternoon we will put it all together on this most excellent track, just goin' a little bit faster. Aaaaaaand for an Extra Treat, you can all go for a ride with our Fabled, Fabulous, and Facile Instructors . All this and much more will be imparted to those 39 Lucky Drivers who register early for this rare but spectacular event...

Bring a tarp to put your junk on, dress for who-knows-what-kind-of-weather, wear lace up shoes, cotton long pants and long sleeve shirt and helmet...mandatory! Brain Buckets (helmets that is) can be rented from OG Racing for a mere pittance. They are located in Sterling, Virginia, and their number is 703-430-3303. Helmets must be SA rated, 2000 or later; no motorcycle helmets! To make sure all four wheels are attached to your car, all cars will be "teched" in the morning, so make sure your car is in good condition and safe before you show up. It's a good idea to have it inspected by a qualified technician before the Grand Event.

The fee for this SUBLIME ECSTACY is $175. Please make checks payable to NVCC. Checks MUST accompany registration form (see links below). This includes a health packed breakfast of greasy grungy Crispy Crème Donuts, (or a substitute), and coffee burned to perfection right here in West Virginia. Sorry, no refunds after March 20. Lunch will be available at the track.

By the way, NO WALK-INS, NO CAR SHARING!, NO TRUCKS, NO VANS, NO SUVs!

By the way, by the way, each cone killed will cost ya 2 bits for the funeral, so bring plenty of quarters. All proceeds will be donated to the charity of the group's choice. More information will be made available to those 39 With-It, and astute drivers who register early.

Registration form (Word doc) is located here. Tech form (pdf format) is located here. For event questions, email Miriam Schottland at ms.greywolf@gmail.com or Mark Neblett at mneblett@crowell.com ASAP.

Last edited by LilR3dCorvette; 02-11-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:28 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

With a write up like that you got my attention!

Can you give a little more detail on the Devilish, Demonic and Diabolical exercises - some examples perhaps?

Is the afternoon basically open track or is it still exercises...just at a higher speed?

I have driven DEs at Shenandoah and at Summit Main but I have never been on the Jefferson Circuit. Is this event oriented towards autox (the only reason I say that is because of your title), for example does it involve navigating a "cone" course? Or is it less "cone" oriented and more about controlling a car on track (or street for that matter). What I really want to work on is medium to high speed skid control, what to do in oversteer situations, understeer situations, emergencies like a deer on the track or an accident in front of you, things like that. I'm not much interested in learning to dodge cones quickly (been to a couple AX schools). TIA for any additional info.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
LilR3dCorvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by argonaut
With a write up like that you got my attention!

Can you give a little more detail on the Devilish, Demonic and Diabolical exercises - some examples perhaps?

Is the afternoon basically open track or is it still exercises...just at a higher speed?

I have driven DEs at Shenandoah and at Summit Main but I have never been on the Jefferson Circuit. Is this event oriented towards autox (the only reason I say that is because of your title), for example does it involve navigating a "cone" course? Or is it less "cone" oriented and more about controlling a car on track (or street for that matter). What I really want to work on is medium to high speed skid control, what to do in oversteer situations, understeer situations, emergencies like a deer on the track or an accident in front of you, things like that. I'm not much interested in learning to dodge cones quickly (been to a couple AX schools). TIA for any additional info.
This event would be right up your alley! The event is very much focused on car control, understeer/oversteer, accident avoidance, etc. The exercises are slaloms, wet skid pad, and threshold braking type exercises. Yes there are cones but this is not an autoX school in the traditional sense, it is more about gaining a greater understanding of driving as applied physics...weight transfer, car balance, and the like...

The afternoon would be taking what you learned and doing it at a higher speed. Jefferson Circuit is a short, technical circuit (1.1 miles) and you won't go faster than 80 mph, but you'll have a lot of fun navigating the different types of turns...late apex, double apex, etc...

You'll be able to take these skills into daily driving, autoX, and circuit track/HPDE events (we will also be having a HPDE on Fri 7/10 @ Summit Main, so save the date for that, too.)

If you have any specific questions, this is the lady to talk to: Miriam Schottland (ms.greywolf@gmail.com). She is the head instructor and has thousands of miles of racing and instructing experience.

We hope you will join us!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Just plugging the NVCC school.
IMHO ... this is what the first day of any driving school should be ... car control, driving physics, vehicle dynamics ... reading "the line," ... and progressing from controled exercises to track sessions with an instructor.
This is an exceptional opportunity for those with open cars ... they will limit the top speed but this is a chance for the convertible crowd without rollover protection to "test the track waters" ...
Old 02-11-2009, 12:30 AM
LilR3dCorvette
Le Mans Master

Bump
Old 02-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like fun.

TTT!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:21 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Guys! Its always a great event, and I'd be there if I was not racing that weekend! The NVCC does a great job and has the finest instructors there (thats because their usual crowd is racing ).

I highly encourage anyone interested to attend!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
LilR3dCorvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
Guys! Its always a great event, and I'd be there if I was not racing that weekend! The NVCC does a great job and has the finest instructors there (thats because their usual crowd is racing ).

I highly encourage anyone interested to attend!
Ross! Thanks for the bump!
Old 02-18-2009, 01:00 PM
LilR3dCorvette
Le Mans Master

As of 2/18 we have 25 paid registrants, with 14 open spots left.

Last edited by LilR3dCorvette; 02-18-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette94
As of 2/18 we have 25 paid registrants, with 14 open spots left.
I'll be coming to this, been on my to do list to help out for some time. Looking forward to working with NVCC people.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:09 PM
LilR3dCorvette
Le Mans Master

Default update

We are now filled to capacity. Thanks to all who have registered

A wait list will be started for any additional registrations received.

Last edited by LilR3dCorvette; 03-03-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To [VA/DC/MD/WV]Cone Killers Car Control Clinic - Sat 3/28/09

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [VA/DC/MD/WV]Cone Killers Car Control Clinic - Sat 3/28/09