Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoX-Q: sir, what air presure you run? A:Why dont you chalk your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:19 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default AutoX-Q: sir, what air presure you run? A:Why dont you chalk your tires?

I couldnt help remember back in 04 when my first AutoX gave me a bad taste in my mouth for AutoX. This was with the ASCC (Akron Sports Car Club).

I couldnt believe how competitive the people there were. There was a lot of bickering over...oh, I think he/she has an illegal mod because he beat me this time and he usually doesnt.

During check-in, a lady screamed at me and my roomate bc we didnt know what class our cars were in (Sorry, it was our first auto-X).

I asked a Subaru WRX owner what air pressures he was running. His snooty response to me was, why dont you chalk your tires and find out for yourself?

Im still confused over why AutoXrs pride themselves on using an extreme minimum of cones to make the course confusing.

Ive raced with other groups in NE ohio. The Porsche club, NORA, and none were as snotty and bickering as the ASCC was back in 03 and 04.

I also did a DE school and numerous high-speed events with Corvette Cleveland. Road course racing with them has always been a positive experience w/ none of the bickerings and snotty-attitudes of ASCC.

So I guess the point of this post is, what was your first time auto-X like?

Last edited by dizwiz24; 02-04-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:36 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

My very first time autocrossing was with an SCCA-like group where I was introduced by a "friend", who promptly vanished and left me to flop around like a fish. So, I frankly don't count that one.

My next time was much better. I got connected with the Porsche club, who promptly put an instructor in the car with me. Two weeks later they had an autocross basics school.

I then joined the local BMW club to get more seat time (they also embraced non-margues than the PCA club does), mentioned I was a fair newbie, and had several instructors offer to help out.

So, I guess mine was similar to yours. The key is to find a group that runs that you enjoy, and always ask for help. I expect that if I hadn't been dumped that first event (I kept trying to find my "buddy" to help out) and had instead asked the group for help I would have received a similar response that I got (and have since given) at the PCA and BMW events.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-04-2009, 12:33 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my first time wasn't very different from yours...

I didn't know what class I was in because it was my first time. when I registered they asked my mods and put me in SS. ok, fine whatever, I'll be in any class. well, there was some guy with a C6Z running hoosiers who was all stickered up in that class too. when he heard my car he went right up to me asked my mods, I gladly told him thinking I was going to get some advice but instead in a very snotty tone said 'you're in the wrong class, you need to be in SM2, I'll go tell the officals for you' and took off for the registration desk.

I was running bone stock suspension on 5 year old stock tires making 700+whp, there was no way I was competition for him. turns out he was some pro driver and got FTD. so, that kinda left a bad taste in my mouth but I got over it. Now I try and recrute/help newb's like myself as much as I can.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:34 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

My very first experience was attending a two day school at FedX field put on by the DC regional SCCA group. Very positive.

So, going to my first autocross race a couple weeks later, I at least knew the basics. The group I went to, Central PA SCCA, is full of fantastic folks. No shortage of help, everyone was very cordial. I've been back many times, they seem to "get" that new members secure their own future. Without new members many clubs will wither and die.

So I guess it highly depends on the club putting on the event.

Doing DE events with a variety of groups has always been very positive. I don't think I've ever come across an "A-hole" yet.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut

Doing DE events with a variety of groups has always been very positive. I don't think I've ever come across an "A-hole" yet.
The best experiences w/ Auto-X is when I race as an outsider of a car group different than my own.

Like the Porsche group. They dont seem to have any care about who I am, how fast I run (which isnt very), or if Im any threat to anybody.

I was plain suprised how snooty and competitive the auto-xers at ASCC were.

Get out w/ a group on a road course and its a different tune. Only thing that pissed me off ever w/ road course racing was a guy who loved to see people wreck their car. He got all happy when someone managed to trash their car out there.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 02-04-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:55 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

My first autox was with the Minnesota Autosports Club and it was great. I showed up in my '70 MGB and met a few great folks with the group that walked me through getting my car ready (EVERYTHING out, etc.), walked the course with me and drove it (slowly) with me. They made sure I was as prepped as possible.

If anyone from that group happens to read this, please pass my regards to everyone with special thanks to Phil Ethier.

I've been kind of an on-and-off guy for Autox and I haven't had as good experience with other novice programs, even those with novice chairs, etc. I've always thought the best novice experience would be to ask for volunteer "buddies" that would take on joining at the hip with the novice at their first event - ideally in opposite classes so the buddy wouldn't have to balance between their own prep and driving.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:18 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Been doing Autox's & HPDE for a decade now, all over the US

There's good and bad people and events.

Just need to try out the various ones in your area and see which ones you fit into.

SCCA and NCCC both run in OHIO, why don't you check them out?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:21 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
. when he heard my car he went right up to me asked my mods, I gladly told him thinking I was going to get some advice but instead in a very snotty tone said 'you're in the wrong class, you need to be in SM2, I'll go tell the officals for you' and took off for the registration desk.

I was running bone stock suspension on 5 year old stock tires making 700+whp, there was no way I was competition for him. turns out he was some pro driver and got FTD. so, that kinda left a bad taste in my mouth but I got over it. Now I try and recrute/help newb's like myself as much as I can.
I see you gripe, but you have to admit, it was a mistake who put a guy making 700+rwhp into a Super STOCK class. Sure you may have been on old tires etc, but some guys get pretty competitive and a season's championship can come down to one event. The guy should have not had the tone, but otherwise, it seems like he handled it OK. Would have been nice if he came back and gave you some tips or something but you know these autocrossers can be a little ...off.

The SSSCC in Washington is a great club and everybody was really inclusive and has been to everyone, there was one guy who tried to run SS with oversize tires/rims his first time out (he was on mine and I told him he wouldn't be SS, but that didn't translate apparently when he registered and tried to tell them to bump him out of SS eventhough his car was bone stock) and a similar thing happened. But again, those guys were battling for season points and novice or not, he could have messed up their season illegally. He understood though I suppose I was there reiterating why it needed to be changed. We also have a novice class for this reason.

Last edited by USAsOnlyWay; 02-04-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:50 PM
R Mackow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All my experiences with AX, HDPEs with the local NCCC and Susquhanna region SCCA clubs in PA has been fantastic. I go out of my way to take newbies for an AX ride(allowed under NCCC rules, not SCCA).
The information sharing is great.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 PM
02QSZ06
Instructor

The Finger Lakes Region of the SCCA here in New York is pretty helpful and friendly to new drivers. Also the BMW club is fun to run with.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:15 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i run in OVR and everyone is nice and will talk to you about anything. NORA was also a good bunch of people. the nicest by far are the folks in Tenn. i think it was Tar Heels something or another. people in akron for the most part are all like that from my experance.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

My First experience was awesome!! Gainesville Raceway with helpful people!!

My 2nd experience was a disaster (different club). Crashed through a fence (Who puts a fence on an autox course)

Like someone said. Find a group you enjoy.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Originally Posted by argonaut
My very first experience was attending a two day school at FedX field put on by the DC regional SCCA group. Very positive.

So, going to my first autocross race a couple weeks later, I at least knew the basics. The group I went to, Central PA SCCA, is full of fantastic folks. No shortage of help, everyone was very cordial. I've been back many times, they seem to "get" that new members secure their own future. Without new members many clubs will wither and die.

So I guess it highly depends on the club putting on the event.

This is exactly my experience in the Washington, DC Region of the SCCA. There is a novice program and a novice coordinator, and virtually all of the local hot shoes are very, very nice folks.

Those of us who run in the Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania region are blessed by solid programs run by and attended by good people.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

I to run with the Minnesota Autox club. It is a great club and open to new comers with great people. I don't run every autox with them but I usually make at least 3+ a year with them. I usually stick to road racing now but still like to do the autox stuff every now and then. Some of the most fun I had autoxing was at Car Craft Summer Nationals this last summer in St. Paul, Mn when the MN AutoX guys set up a course that was a 25 second course and then all the high hp car craft cars attempted to do it. There was a Evo9 that did it too. I ended up with the quickest time of the weekend but it was just a fun time putting a bunch of high hp cars on that small of a course for some reason.

PS: My Dad is a St. Paul,MN police officer and MN Autox lets him run the squad through the course when he shows up with it. He usually runs an autox or 2 every year in the squad. Here's a video of one run:

http://www.broadcaster.com/clip/19718

and here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr9y_AGoxOY

Note I did not take these video clips it was just people from the events that thought it was funny.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:20 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

My first local event was with a non-SCCA club and it was an overall positive experience. The people there, with the exception of the club grand-poo ba were all super nice and helpful. It helped that I went with another owner that had experience and got alot of the stuff out of the way so i didn't have any 'stupid' issues.

1 month later, I did my first local region SCCA ( Steel Cities ) event and holy crap was that a jump up in the pressure. It was a 2-day event for the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and the 1st day's course was over 60 secs for the fast guys... think my best time was in the 70s or 80s.

Not one person I met that weekend treated me like an outsider and as soon as I said "I know this might sound stupid to ask, but I'm new...." and they were all supportive and eager to make sure it was a positive experience.

Here, we have a Novice chair that conducts novice walks before every event and answers questions afterwards to anyone. We allow ride alongs in cars for just about anyone as long as they've signed the waiver. We try to limit the ride alongs so that people aren't getting an unfair advantage, but not when they're riding with newer people or people just having trouble staying on course.

I've had a number of people ride along with me to figure the course out, or just to get an idea what they're getting into.

We also do fun runs at the end fo the day so people can get a ride and see what they can do with more seat time and also see where they lost time on course.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:49 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to find the right club. I autocrossed with an SCCA group when I lived in Dallas in the late 80s and gave up after a few events. Just like you said -- they were hypercompetitive and they discouraged novices. I hope that club died from attrition because that is what they deserved.

I've found some really great clubs in the Boston (Ayer, MA) area. They are competive, but more interested in cultivating novices and improving everyone's driving techniques. If you raise your hand saying "I'd like to get better" at these clubs there are several guys and gals that will gladly work with you. The rules don't take runs away from these skilled drivers for riding with you and you don't lose runs for riding with them. It is a really a fun, educational, and competitive formula.

Don't give up -- AutoXing is a blast -- just find the right group.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:27 PM
1963GrayGray
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C1 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

My experience in Central Pa. was the same as previous posters. Both SCCA and NCCC autocross events made both myself and my son feel very welcome when we first started autocrossing several years ago. Another fine group are the National Road Rally folks in Cumberland Md. at the airport.
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To AutoX-Q: sir, what air presure you run? A:Why dont you chalk your tires?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Davinss
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone who helps run autox events with a few different local clubs. Please keep in mind that many times the people running registration/tech/workercheif may be really busy. If you're new and someone seems really busy ask them to direct you to someone else who can help!

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Im still confused over why AutoXrs pride themselves on using an extreme minimum of cones to make the course confusing.
Typically in my experience too many cones is more confusing than too little. Which is the opposite of what you would think...
Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Sorry, I meant to answer this on in my first post. I've run both courses with a minimum of cones and a "sea of cones". I agree that overdoing the cones makes it very difficult to see the course. It also limits what line you can choose to run the course (which is part of the skill).

One thing to keep an eye out for is areas where you could accidentally pick up the wrong gate to head to next. Sometimes this could have you opposing traffic. Whenever I've found something like this I bring it to the attention to the course organizers, which go out and check it out. Sometimes I find that while it looked like you could take the wrong gate while walking the course, that in the car it worked much better and was clear where you were supposed to go. Other times they added directional cones to make sure cars went towards the correct gate.

Bottom line: if part of the course is confusing to you, bring it up to the organizers. Everyone wants a safe course.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-09-2009, 10:37 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by 1963GrayGray
My experience in Central Pa. was the same as previous posters. Both SCCA and NCCC autocross events made both myself and my son feel very welcome when we first started autocrossing several years ago. Another fine group are the National Road Rally folks in Cumberland Md. at the airport.
Dave
I look forward to doing a CPA event as well as run at Cumberland as I hear both are alot of fun and the people are great.

Quick Reply: AutoX-Q: sir, what air presure you run? A:Why dont you chalk your tires?