Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welded Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:08 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Welded Wheels

Does anyone have any experience with modified welded wheels. I've seen where individuals have a band welded in for more width. This would be great if the end product is safe / durable.

I'd like to run 275s up front and keep matching stocker gumbies.

I'm running 285 Exsta XSs on the rear and am thinking 275s up front would give me a nice street tire AutoX setup.

Last edited by avizandum; 02-08-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:11 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welded wheels are fine.

Weldcraft out of Michigan.
www.weldcraftwheels.com

I have been racing on their widened wheels for over a year. Their quality is outstanding.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:24 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't run them for a road race car. Drag over about 11 seconds or out on the road sure why not. As my welding teacher once told me, "only weld if there isn't a different way."

Randy
Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 PM
avizandum
Pro

Road racing / AutoX is the intended use... Any other opinions?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:05 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

considering you usually have to buy more wheels to take the "slice" from, I'd just buy wheels in the correct size. Welding heat changes the metals properties, and while not necessarily unsafe, I'd rather have a wheel that was cast or forged all at once, not tempered in the middle.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by avizandum
Does anyone have any experience with modified welded wheels. I've seen where individuals have a band welded in for more width. This would be great if the end product is safe / durable.

I'd like to run 275s up front and keep matching stocker gumbies.

I'm running 285 Exsta XSs on the rear and am thinking 275s up front would give me a nice street tire AutoX setup.
I'm running 275/305 on stock wagon wheels. Everyone that doesn't do this yells at me that "You don't have the right contact patch" or "that's bigger than the manufacturer recommends."

Bleh. The only thing I've noticed is better grip and balance. Tire wear has been normal (meaning I flip them once during their lifetime).

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Weldcraft did two sets of my ZR1 street wheels, but there are for street and autocross use only. Ive been told by numerous sources the weld is stronger if done correctly, but I never took a chance by using them at the track.
Hell, I broke one of my track wheels at the track and nearly bit the bullet, so theres no way a modified wheel will do track duty.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

VetteDrmr, I agree that the proof is in the pudding....I've used "oversized" tires on smaller rims with great results too.

ZR1 MK, I also have a friend who is a welder and states that a STEEL joint is stronger than the steel around it, HOWEVER I have my doubts that aluminum welds are the same.

I would use widened rims for the street if for some reason I could NOT buy the look/size I wanted, but I'd not do it at the track. There are too many great wheels available that do the job as a single mold/forging!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:30 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well,
Back in the day I spent 10-14 hours a day welding on Alumium. The weld if done 100 percent correctly will be stronger then the base metal, simular to steel. The problem lies in the surrounding base metal, like farmer said earlier. Then starts and stops on the weld can create a huge issue with alumium welding. There is a small crater that gets formed, everytime you stop. Sence penetration is a problem with welding alumium, it's very easy to get a crater trapped under the beed. Then on top of it all, if a crack starts, it travels very rapidly around the seem and can happen in a heartbeat. There is about a million reasons not to run a welded up wheel.

Just my further thoughts on this.

Randy
Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 PM
avizandum
Pro

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
I'm running 275/305 on stock wagon wheels. Everyone that doesn't do this yells at me that "You don't have the right contact patch" or "that's bigger than the manufacturer recommends."

Bleh. The only thing I've noticed is better grip and balance. Tire wear has been normal (meaning I flip them once during their lifetime).

Mike
OK, no on the welded wheels. You're running 275s on 9.5 rims, right? My OEM fronts are only 8.5, that's my problem.

I'd love CCWs, but I'm feeling lean...
Old 02-10-2009, 08:00 PM
FredSM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post and info folks. Thanks. I was seriously considering widening stock C6 18" fronts for rear track use. That's a nominal $600 investment total.

So, if the OP will pardon my hijack (sounds like we're in a similar situation though), is there a decent recommendation for frequent, advanced HPDE use that is even in the same ballpark in terms of $$$?

BTW, I've been using 295/19 and 275/18 R888s on OEM C6 wagonwheels . . . and yes, that changes the rake a tad.

FM
Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by avizandum
OK, no on the welded wheels. You're running 275s on 9.5 rims, right? My OEM fronts are only 8.5, that's my problem.

I'd love CCWs, but I'm feeling lean...
17x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear. Like I said, stock *wagon wheels*. You can get a set for next to nothing, and I've never heard of anyone having problems from a structural standpoint (some have had thin-spoke wheels crack, but even that's seldom).

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-15-2009, 11:12 PM
ColeTrain'sC5
Melting Slicks

You got 305's on a 9.5" rear wheel? that's awesome. i did get 295's on my last 9.5" set so i suppose 1 size bigger isn't a HUGE deal. I'd do 265's in the front of the stocker

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr

Mike
Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ColeTrain'sC5
You got 305's on a 9.5" rear wheel? that's awesome. i did get 295's on my last 9.5" set so i suppose 1 size bigger isn't a HUGE deal. I'd do 265's in the front of the stocker
Tipped my tire installer well; he's all smiles when he sees me coming! The 275 works very well on the 8.5s.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-16-2009, 01:26 PM
ColeTrain'sC5
Melting Slicks

awesome man

Get notified of new replies

To Welded Wheels

Quick Reply: Welded Wheels