Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Corrals

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:53 AM
threewinmag
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Corrals

Has anyone ever been to an IMSA event as a spectator and been a part of the Corvette Corral? What is involved with that? I'm thinking of going to Road America for the ALMS event in August and need to buy tickets now. Tell me a little about your experience and whether or not you think it's worth the money. I assume the CC is part of the VIP package but maybe it's not. It's really not clear between the three sites you have to visit to get information!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

The Corvette Corral at RA is free to any corvette owner to park, is run by the local corvette club and they do a great job. Last year they had free soda and water and hand outs from GM. It's in an area that RA has set a side for the corvette guys and is no extra cost. RA is a great place and and if you have not been there, it is well worth the trip. One note, the track is 4.2 miles and it's rolling, forested landscape. If you are going for 2 days you may want to consider renting a golf cart, there is a lot of walking. You can also drive your car and park in different areas for viewing. JD
You can call 772 528 0669 or PM me if I can be of any help!!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:42 AM
threewinmag
Racer

Thanks for the feedback! I understand now. Also, thanks for the contact information. I may take you up on that.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We parked in Corvette Corral at the Houston Grand Prix some years ago. It was worth it. We got to park closer than regular parking. Didn't have to worry about people banging into them. Corvette race drivers came out to judge Vette show so we got to talk to them for a while. Plus autograph session with the drivers.

That was my only experience but it was
Old 02-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Did it at Road Atlanta last year. Think it was an extra $25. Got to park on the hill above turn 12, had a tent set-up with LCD TVs to watch the races while you were inside, free water, drinks and Snacks, and a ZR-1 and Z06 on display. LG dropped by with their GT2 car. Well worth the money, i'd highly recommend it.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:10 AM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Presentations at Corvette Corral at RA and Det GP by GM (Tom Wallace, Jim Mero, Tadge Juechter, et al), Mobil and Michelin were great. Det GP had naked ZR-1 and seemingly more GM engineering people plus Emerson Fitipaldi (really accessible for conversations or pictures). Was surprised at the amount of time they are willing to spend talking one-on-one.

Tom Wallace who was at both venues said that they couldn't find a tranny for the ZR-1 like the one which provides ultra quick shifts in the SLK55AMG.

This week, I was told by the person who organizes the Corvette Corral for GM that GM would have the Corvette Corrals this year. Hope they stay in business to make that possible.

Stayed in the RA campground. Arrived on Wed., got to visit with alot of the team members including Doug Fehan and Steve Weseloski. The team members including some of the crew chiefs had time on Wed, Thurs and Fri to explain some things to us when they were testing but when the hordes descended on Saturday for the race, access to the garages and availability of the team members was much more limited. Sunday....many ALMS teams had either left or were packing up to leave.

Great opportunities for lots of close in pictures of the mechanicals.

There were very few showers (we only found 2) in the RA campground both of which were filthy so I hope you have a motorhome or if you are tenting you can drive to the Elkhart Lake community centre for a shower. Motorhomes can be rented in Milwaukee. The other amenities like toilets and wash stations were good. Had some great neighbours from Indianapolis in the campground.

Reserve a golf cart for four or two people...you'll need it. Take some plastic zip ties to overcome the governor. But take them off before you return the golf cart otherwise they'll charge you an extra $100.00. They go too slow with the rental governor.

Many of the team hospitiality tents at RA were very welcoming especially at dinnertime and met many interesting people. We were not party crashers.

At the RA Corral, GM gave away a gift bag which included a Genuine Corvette Accessories cap....something to donate to the Corvette Club charity fundraiser. GM's display in the main area....the Corral is close to the camping area....gave away Corvette Racing tshirts. It had some great engines.... 1,450 HP 4 cylinder drag car engine from GM Performance Parts plus all the other vehicles one would expect to see.

ALMS race was on Sat PM.

They had great Corvette Racing 6 x 8 banners on the walls of the tent.....unfortunately unavailable for purchase.

The hordes descended on RA on Saturday and the ccess to the garages and availability of team members was more limited.

The Audi guys were really great...especially the crew chief. Too bad they won't be around this year....with their new R15.

Downside at RA for me was that Tom Wallace would not agree to trade cars with me for the trip back the Detroit. He had his personal ZR-1 there.

Hope the foregoing is of help to you.

Have a great time at RA.

Last edited by cebars; 02-21-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Corrals

Quick Reply: Corvette Corrals