Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time @ VIR - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:56 AM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Default First Time @ VIR - any tips?

We are going to VIR in a few weeks, and its my first venture there. I'm looking forward to it, but in watching a lot of YouTubes there appears to be some consistently tricky parts of the track where cars go off.

I've got a bunch of years of HPDE experience and dozens of days on east coast tracks, but looking for the veterans' points of view on this fast track....
Old 02-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Although Oak Tree is a sharp turn people respect it so you dont see as many accidents there.

As an instructor last time at VIR with NCM I noticed turn 3 catching people off guard by carrying too much speed into it, the decreasing radius turn (turn 4) to be hard for people to grasp - turn no keep turning , and the right position to be in starting your trip up the up hill esses (turn 7 I believe).

some other things exiting turn 10 let the car drift out to the edge. there is alot of extra room out there. On the back straight after you crest the hill you will be coming down the other side you will want to brake on the uphill part before the left. I actually turn the left into another straight. Down the roller coaster part is fun, but the last turn if you lift you could lose the back end.

I know there are far better people at VIR than me so I am sure they will chime in.

It is one of my most favorite tracks and coming from WGI you see it is nice to have alot more room for mistakes.

not sure if my video helps but here:

Old 02-21-2009, 12:24 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the dupe. My computer had a hickup.

Frank

Last edited by gonzalezfj; 02-21-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:31 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For VIR Full:

Listen to your instructor.

The apex of T8 (the second turn in the esses) is blind when you are entering at the bottom because it is behind a slight hump. Make darn sure you have the car aimed at the apex of 8 before you hit the hump and have zero steering input when going over the hump. The faster you go, the more the above applies.

In T10, make sure you don't turn in early and give yourself a lot of room on exit. The exit is off-camber and downhill, so all of a sudden, the car no longer wants to turn. If you look at all the black skid marks on the pavement you will understand this is a tricky turn.

DON'T LIFT at the kink. Keep some throttle on all the way through the kink. If you lift at high speed, the rear will come around and you won't be able to catch it.

Other than the above, VIR Full is a blast to drive. It's my favorite track east of the Mississippi.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 02-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by
not sure if my video helps but here:

[yt
OU_d_wvHQIA[/yt]
Smooth driving

2.13 lap time, what is the track record for street cars ?

Rune
Old 02-21-2009, 07:04 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Be prepared to become addicted. I can almost guarantee it won't be your last time there.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:07 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know that there'd be an official record for street cars but I'd like to know how fast the ZR1 can get around it. Wasn't there an video of Johnny O. in one flying around VIR? I'd like to know his best time. I'm sure David Farmer's damn fast in his Z06 and I think he runs street tires.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tcmc5
I don't know that there'd be an official record for street cars but I'd like to know how fast the ZR1 can get around it. Wasn't there an video of Johnny O. in one flying around VIR? I'd like to know his best time. I'm sure David Farmer's damn fast in his Z06 and I think he runs street tires.
I remember that ZR1 video, it was either Johnny O or Fellows. Seems like it was a 2:01.

I'm sure David has put down some excellent laps in that Z06. I'd like to put my Traqmare in there and get some data.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Smooth driving

Rune

I asked this question last year as I run street tires and Chuck H was running about a 2:10 with a stock C5 on street tires. Not easy

Originally Posted by mcar00
Be prepared to become addicted. I can almost guarantee it won't be your last time there.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

JIm McNemar ran 2:01 and 2:00 last fall in his 2008 LGMotorsports Z06. Matt Callahan has also run a number of 2:00-2:01 in his street legal Porsche GT2. I know Matt has run in the 1:59-1:58 range in his cup cars.

Over the last two years I made huge progress in my street legal modified Twin Turbo. What I noticed was that as I got smoother, I drove lower speeds on the back straight, but higher speeds and smoother everywhere else. My traqmate proved what I was thinking. I started out the 2007 season trying to get used to driving with a motor in the rear as opposed to the configuration of my C5. One distinct area the C5/6 platform has is its width. You can carry some deceptively fast speeds into T7/8/9/10 so be careful. Since the Villas were built the run off in the climbing esses is much reduced and an off there could be very bad.

I managed to go from "Fastest time all weekend of 2:10" and now warm up first session of the day at 2:10s...

For your first event, just dial it back. Listen to your instructor, and learn to trail brake thru corners like T4 and T14. They will help you remain smooth and carry more momentum into the next section. Slow in and fast out works really good for beginners!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPo_jstgvMs

This was of me running down a 2700# 450HP Porsche 911 Racecar. My car is full leather interior, power everything, and scaled at 3360#. I think I had the AC on that morning as it was HOT!

Enjoy!
Mike
Old 02-22-2009, 08:59 AM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is the track map for those who need it as reference (me):

Old 02-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Smooth driving

Rune
thanks - this was the last session after a 2 day weekend. I was working on making it smooth so when I left the track that smooth line would be the last thing in my mind. During the weekend I ran 2:08-09, but I hope with a few changes to the gearing and suspension I can come down some.

It really is a fun track and you can move. David Farmer was my instructor 2 years ago and I got in the car with him and was amazed how much further the right driver could go....

Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I just now got home from the NASA event there. They milled the corners and now they have applied sealer. The corners have a ton of grip now. I had a blast. Went through the Instructor clinic and instructed the rest of the weekend.

Biggest thing to remember is if you get 2 wheels off in T10, ride with it. DO NOT TRY TO SAVE IT !!! You will end up hitting the wall on the other side of the track.

Also, when entering the Snake (T5a-6a) be gentle with the gas. Squeeze the gas not punch it. It will eat a Vette as it has many times before. It ate a 2006 ZO6 this weekend. It can be a big tank slapper.

In case anyone is interested Mike Jr Johnson was there this weekend racing in Spec Miata. He had a blast and did well. I think he got 5th both days. Wally won ST2 both days. Craig Gelston was there but was feeling a bit under the weather. His father, Ed, came in 3rd on Sunday. For those that missed it, it was a great weekend.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To First Time @ VIR - any tips?

Quick Reply: First Time @ VIR - any tips?