Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 PM
RogerT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock Recommendation.

I have a 2001 coupe I autocross. I have added C5 Z06 sway bars front and rear, lowered on stock bolts, and aligned with 1 degree negative camber on all 4 wheels. The car handles well, feels neutral.

Is my best next step in upgrading to put on better shocks? I'm considering C5 Z06 shocks, C6 Z51 or C6 Z06 shocks, or Bilstein shocks.

Your opinions please. Thanks.

Roger T
Old 02-25-2009, 03:34 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger T
I have a 2001 coupe I autocross. I have added C5 Z06 sway bars front and rear, lowered on stock bolts, and aligned with 1 degree negative camber on all 4 wheels. The car handles well, feels neutral.

Is my best next step in upgrading to put on better shocks? I'm considering C5 Z06 shocks, C6 Z51 or C6 Z06 shocks, or Bilstein shocks.

Roger T
KONI FSD
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 AM
waktasz
Pro

I would get Koni singles, not the FSD or any Chevy shocks. You'll want adjustable shocks if you are getting serious with autocross.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

I've only heard good things about the pfadt shocks, might want to give them a ring and talk to them about it.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:07 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Pfadt adjustables:

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...products_id/75

Enjoy.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I run 04 Z shocks and like them.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Roger T

Roger T
You are a lucky person because SCCA has a proposal to move the C5 non-Z06 into a new stock class in 2010 where it will be competitive.

First thing I'd do is put the stock rear bar back on so it qualifies for the new stock class.

Everybody has an opinion on shocks and it usually coincides with what they have on their car. Budget minded: '04 Sachs from a Z06, Koni, or Pfadt. Best but expensive: Bilsteins or Penskes valved by someone who knows what they're doing. Smart: Used Bilsteins or Penskes and have them revalved by someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Z06Fix
Drifting

I just installed a set of the PFADT single adjustables. I have only driven them for a few miles on the street so far, but I'm extremely impressed. The car feels so much more solid and responsive. It soaks up the bumps very well and does not get skiddish over rough pavement, even mid turn. I also feel like the I can get on the throttle earlier. Which will be a huge help on track. The rear just feels so planted now. I played with the settings a bit and was very impressed to be able to feel a difference in adjustments. I wound up setting them a 10 front and 12 rear. I will leave them there until I can get on the race rubber.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:50 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere

Everybody has an opinion on shocks and it usually coincides with what they have on their car. Budget minded: '04 Sachs from a Z06, Koni, or Pfadt. Best but expensive: Bilsteins or Penskes valved by someone who knows what they're doing. Smart: Used Bilsteins or Penskes and have them revalved by someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck.
It depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Less than $500 = stock or stock replacements
$500-$1000 = Koni FSD, Pfadt
$2500-$5000 = all the double adjustables

Dog
Old 02-25-2009, 05:50 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran my car with the factory ('04 Z06) shocks on the car for several events. The car was well behaved and balanced. The Chevy shocks would be fine if you just want to keep improving. However the damping is too soft. This is especially true with R compounds. When you start tossing the car around more, it will transition to fast and hit the bump stops too hard.

The single adjustable Koni's were my choice. They are nationally competitive. The fastest SS Corvette at Nationals has them. The other nice thing is that you can set them softer than the Z06 shocks for the street.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:39 PM
66IISS
Racer

Who are you talking about as the fastest corvette in SS at nationals, Chris?

Anyways, I talked to Joe Stimola the other day (he will be rebuilding our Koni's I believe) and he said that he's seen a lot of blown Koni's off of Corvettes. He doesn't know why, but Corvettes tend to blow Koni's. When we got them on the Z06, they were fine, took them off to get some warranty work done and when we took them off, both rears were blown. So all those with Koni's may want to go and make sure they're still fine.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:56 PM
RogerT
Pro

Default Shock upgrade

I guess I didn't present my question well. What I ment to ask was " Is my next best upgrade for autocrossing upgrading my shocks?"

C6 Z06 or Z51, C5 Z06, or Bilstein Sport are options I consider based on cost/improvement.

Again, your opinions please.

Roger T
Old 02-25-2009, 11:04 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Ok, here's what I would do.

1) Put the stock bar back on the rear.
2) Increase your front camber to max and the rear to -1.2.
3) Buy a second set of rims and put Hoosier A6s on them.
4) Add a trailer hitch and get a tire trailer to pull your A6s.
5) Enroll in an Evolution driving school.

Then, next year think about shocks.

Last edited by TedDBere; 02-25-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:08 PM
RogerT
Pro

[QUOTE=TedDBere;1569079877]You are a lucky person because SCCA has a proposal to move the C5 non-Z06 into a new stock class in 2010 where it will be competitive.

First thing I'd do is put the stock rear bar back on so it qualifies for the new stock class.

Good luck.

I compete in some autocross events sanctioned by the National Council Of Corvette Clubs. Because of engine and suspension modifications I am in Group II. Shocks are not an issue in this group as long as they are not coil- over shocks.

Thank you for your imput.

Roger T
Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You will be hard pressed to find a better shock then the Bilstein for the money. You can install them stock or with a trick valving. You will spend 330 for the stock ones, and 695 for the trick valving (4 shocks included) The bilsteins are the way to go because they are shorter and can offer more travel for lowered cars or well drivin.

Let me know if we can help!!!

Randy
www.dougrippie.com

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 02-26-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Davinss
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock Z06 shocks or Koni Yellows
Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 PM
RogerT
Pro

Thank you to all who responded to my asking for advice. Now I have lots of good information to consider.

Roger T

Get notified of new replies

To Shock Recommendation.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:14 PM
RogerT
Pro

Roger,
You are not alone. I talk to hunderds of people about suspension every year. Many of them admit their lack of shock knollenge. This is ok, because then we can get you into a product for you. This is the biggest reason why we don't sell adjustable shocks to 99 percent of our customers. To be honest, most people with adjustable shocks shouldn't be playing with them at all. I hear some of the rational behide the changes that they make and it makes me You can't fix a driver, or bad setup with a couple clicks on a shock valving.

At this point, I would suggest getting a set of the stock Bilstein sports. Running them for the whole year. Keep working on other things like camber, toe, driver, tire managment. Then at the end of the session, give me a call and we can talk about your shocks and see if we need to change up anything. Or half way if you think you are having a shock issue. Don't change too quick!!! I know the guys that figured out the valving on the Bilstein sports, these guys are damn good at what they do.

Size does matter, The stock size shocks will bottom out during hard cornering loads. Super smooth tracks are the only place that you can run a lowered car using stock size shocks. Well lets be honest, not too many super smooth tracks.

The sport shocks are built in a smaller package. The engineers at Bilstein traded some droop (how far the tire drops) travel for more bump (tire going up) travel. This gets rid of the bottoming of a shock!!!

Here is some info for you.
http://www.bilstein.com/tech.php?PHP...9b7b60afae3387

Thanks
Randy
763-477-9272
www.dougrippie.com

PS If you want you can copy and paste this to the thread, I'm sure there is someone else out there that can benfit.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Old 02-27-2009, 11:11 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

WTF is that ^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: Shock Recommendation.