Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 racing. Kumho Ecsta V700, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default C4 racing. Kumho Ecsta V700, any good?

Im considering a set of Kumho Ecsta V700 in P275/40R17 and P315/35R17.

I found some negative information about these when they came out in '04 ('greasy after hot-lapping', 'blisters if used in the dry w/o shaving', etc.). However, it was a new tire then. Its likely Kumho fixed those complaints.

Please dont lecture me about needing separate tires for everything. Im not die hard. Im just out to have fun. Obviously theres no such thing as a tire thats good at everything. The issue I have is weather is so unpredictable in the summer. Might be dry at the track, but sometimes I'll get sprinkled on the ride home.

Im looking for a tire that will:
1. Be fun to wear down to race tread depth - on the street.
2. Roadcourse race
3. Drag race (at least on the rear)
4. Limp home in the rain (being very careful).

What do you all think of Ecsta V700 ?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I'll let you know mid year when I get mine mounted.
Check with Aaron, he is the resident Khumo expert.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:44 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You might want to check with Luke at the Tire Rack to see if you can (or should) use that tire as you are asking. Their Kumho V700 web page still says the tire should be shaved for dry use. Unshaved, the description shows them to be used for wet racing conditions. If that is old information, then maybe the website should be updated.

There is a TR web page that shows what tires should be shaved and it lists the V700 as one that has to be shaved for dry competition use. And they discuss why a competition tire like the V700 should not be driven on the street just to lower the tread height.

The Kumho web page for the Ecsta racing tires doesn't mention the shaving/dry use statements as shown on the TR web page.

As to drag racing use, I don't think they would be anywhere near as good as specific drag slicks. Most road-race/autocross competition tires need heat in them to work properly. A bleach box may get the tread surface hot, but the temps may not last very long especially if you hve to wait at the line for any reason. And the sidewalls are not as stiff as a drag race specific tire.

Have you looked at the Ecsta XS as another possible choice? It's more of a street tire, but it can certainly be used for track days and you can use it on the street. TR shows them available in both 275/40 and 315/35 sizes.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:09 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

I've run that exact combination with excellent results on my FRC, using ZR-1 repo wheels (heavy but strong as an ox).

I've never had my tires shaved, and have never had problems with chunking/blistering.

Street use is fine, they work OK in rain unless you DO have them shaved. The only real problem with using them on the street is that they throw a bunch of stuff up onto your car.

One thing that you'll occasionally find on V700s is the opening of a seam line that runs laterally across the tire, typically on a rear tire. when that happened I just ran the tire on the other side at the next event, and that closed up the gap.

One time I did pull a flap up from one of those seams about the size of a half-dollar. I trimmed the flap off, and I'm running that tire such that acceleration feathers the edges down. I've run that way for the last 2-3 events.

Short version, I think you've got a good choice there.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
One thing that you'll occasionally find on V700s is the opening of a seam line that runs laterally across the tire, typically on a rear tire. when that happened I just ran the tire on the other side at the next event, and that closed up the gap.

One time I did pull a flap up from one of those seams about the size of a half-dollar. I trimmed the flap off, and I'm running that tire such that acceleration feathers the edges down. I've run that way for the last 2-3 events.
IIRC, I had heard that about some of the early V700's and that the problem was suppsoedly fixed a couple years ago. Or at least Kumho came out and said it was not an issue. Running the tire so that the flap is away from the rotation direction was the recommendation from Kumho.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
You might want to check with Luke at the Tire Rack to see if you can (or should) use that tire as you are asking. Their Kumho V700 web page still says the tire should be shaved for dry use. Unshaved, the description shows them to be used for wet racing conditions. If that is old information, then maybe the website should be updated.

There is a TR web page that shows what tires should be shaved and it lists the V700 as one that has to be shaved for dry competition use. And they discuss why a competition tire like the V700 should not be driven on the street just to lower the tread height.

The Kumho web page for the Ecsta racing tires doesn't mention the shaving/dry use statements as shown on the TR web page.

As to drag racing use, I don't think they would be anywhere near as good as specific drag slicks. Most road-race/autocross competition tires need heat in them to work properly. A bleach box may get the tread surface hot, but the temps may not last very long especially if you hve to wait at the line for any reason. And the sidewalls are not as stiff as a drag race specific tire.

Have you looked at the Ecsta XS as another possible choice? It's more of a street tire, but it can certainly be used for track days and you can use it on the street. TR shows them available in both 275/40 and 315/35 sizes.
XS is too much of a street tire. I put so few miles on my car that I want to run a race tire all the way around.

When I go to the drags, Ill throw on my BFG's.

Im looking for a tire that will allow me to hook on the street w/ a spiritied but legal street launch, take me thru the twisties, and allow me to get home if it sprinkles.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:56 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
XS is too much of a street tire. I put so few miles on my car that I want to run a race tire all the way around.

When I go to the drags, Ill throw on my BFG's.

Im looking for a tire that will allow me to hook on the street w/ a spiritied but legal street launch, take me thru the twisties, and allow me to get home if it sprinkles.
I understand your desires, but I don't know of any tire out there that's going to "hook" on the street. Both the tires and road are dirty and cold. My V700s spin with about a 1800 rpm launch when they're cold. Not much, but they do spin. As they warm up the launch rpm goes up to about 2500. No better than that because the surface just won't take it.

Again, the V700s, esp. full depth tread, will work just fine on the street, as long as you don't mind the debris thrown up on your paint. BUT, the XS or MX tires are pretty popular for the street as well.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-03-2009, 11:01 AM
threewinmag
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the V700's on a Mustang I owned prior to the Corvette. I didn't use them on the street because they were primarily for track use so I can't speak to them in that respect. I found them to be hard when cold and not that great when warm. When I bought the Corvette and went to the track, I decided it was best to have track tires and street tires and to try to straddle the fence wasn't good for either application.

That being said, I would check out the Nitto 555's. I've head better things about them in terms of being more predictable in all sorts of conditions than the V700's.

I know that doesn't really answer your questions, but I thought I'd share what I knew.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:29 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=threewinmag;1569154540]
That being said, I would check out the Nitto 555's. I've head better things about them in terms of being more predictable in all sorts of conditions than the V700's.

QUOTE]

I love them. But having said that I'm going to be trying the new Nitto NT05! It's supposed to be the NT-01 for the street. Grippier than the 555's and comparable wear. Search the web for some of the real world tests.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 racing. Kumho Ecsta V700, any good?

Quick Reply: C4 racing. Kumho Ecsta V700, any good?