Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Oil Cooler installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:29 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Oil Cooler installed

Bought mine from TPIS.... Great Kit somewhat easy install...

My kit did not have the bolts to bolt cooler to bracket .... 3 bucks at Ace took care of that...

Lines were proper length and had heat shield on one end.
Cooler it self was from Earls and had all correct fittings.
Adapter did not have a name but was very functional and I did not have to extend the oil temp sensor ..... kinda a plug and play once you can get up there.

Instructions said use the same bolts that are in your cross member (cross member holds the air dam) to mount the bracket for the cooler. There was no bolts so just used some sheet metal screws ... no big deal... Mounted up fine..

So i rough fit everything then went back an pulled it back down and tighten it all back up... Make sure you get the oil adapter hoses tight ... that one was a pita to mount with those hoses attached would hate to pull it down again.

I ran the lines through the engine cradle by the motor mount over the steering ram and into the rad area.....

On a 15 mile drive I saw oil temps down from 210 before oil cooler to 174 and a surprise was the water temps down from 205 +/- 3 to 185 ... all in all not so bad....

This took me about 3 hours at about 1.5 hours each night
Let me know what ya think

Photos attahced

Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-04-2009, 06:51 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very cool
Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 AM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Great move. I'm amazed at the number of folks who change out their radiator without going the extra mile to install an ex oil cooler. The latter in many cases has a bigger impact on temps.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:08 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice clean install.

did you happen to get a PN on the earls oil cooler, or do you know the size?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
Nice clean install.

did you happen to get a PN on the earls oil cooler, or do you know the size?
Ya know I went to get that info but the part number had been marked out on the Earls cooler ... I found that weird.....

I will ask them later today ..... gonna give them a call and let um know they forgot my bolts... just as a courtesy ...
Old 03-04-2009, 08:31 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

dose this cooler run a stat aswell?? would make getting the engine upto temp easier.

Chris.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be great.

I'm looking to do this along with an upgrade rad in the next couple of weeks, that should finish my 'mods' for this season. then all I'll have to worry about is the consumables... hopefully.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have about 15 hrs in mine so far. Cooler is mounted, lines made, hose ends attached, knock sensor moved, everything attached to LPE adapter including temp sensor. However, the LPE uses Allen wrench bolts and I worked for 1 1/2 hrs last nite trying to attach adapter to block. Car is only on jackstands, and there is just no room to work. It will take 3 hands. Very frustrating. I am glad yours worked so well. I started to get that adapter because is already had the fittings. I wish I had now that I see it uses regular bolts. It would make it easier. Good job.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:50 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by chuntington101
dose this cooler run a stat aswell?? would make getting the engine upto temp easier.

Chris.
I did not do the stat thing ... she is not a daily driver but drove it to work this morning .... In 6th at 60 MPH she was ruining 160 or so. But it was also 22F outside ... If I ran in 5th she went a bit higher ... :-)
Old 03-04-2009, 11:19 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 745 Posts

One thing you could do to help the oil get warmer (you want it up around 190) is to build a cover for the cooler. Check out the final few pages of the oil cooler install guide for some pictures of the cover.

http://webpages.charter.net/VetteDrmr/

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great
Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by waddisme
I have about 15 hrs in mine so far. Cooler is mounted, lines made, hose ends attached, knock sensor moved, everything attached to LPE adapter including temp sensor. However, the LPE uses Allen wrench bolts and I worked for 1 1/2 hrs last nite trying to attach adapter to block. Car is only on jackstands, and there is just no room to work. It will take 3 hands. Very frustrating. I am glad yours worked so well. I started to get that adapter because is already had the fittings. I wish I had now that I see it uses regular bolts. It would make it easier. Good job.

That was the hardest part of mine...... but only took about 30 min to get it right ... no room to work and the hoses were so darn stiff .....with the braid and the fire sleve.... The only reason I chose this adapter is somone told me you needed to extend the sensor wires with the LPE one... (not sure if thats true)
Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

That was about the only thing that went right with mine, as there was enough slack to attach sensor and it still has some room for flex. After wasting and hour and a half Tuesday trying to get the adapter on, I went home last nite and got it on in less than 15 min. Just saw it different in the light of day and was able to use a big screwdriver to lift adapter up to align screw. Still had to take 10 mins to allen wrench bolts in when real bolts would have taken 2 mins. Got everything back together and was fixing to try it out when - I hooked up the battery and . . . . the battery was dead. Not sure what that is about. It is only 4 mos old. Hopefully by the weekend I will be driving again. Hopefully in the future when someone does a search, they will find this thread and remember - Don't use the LPE adapter, there are better ones!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Bought mine from TPIS.... Great Kit somewhat easy install...

I ran the lines through the engine cradle by the motor mount over the steering ram and into the rad area.....
Looks good! Your's is very similar to mine except for the heat exchanger brand. Couple of things -

-Where the braided lines run over the cradle on my car, I noticed some abrasion of the braided lines against the aluminum cradle after some miles. I also noticed abrasion against the power steering hose (visible in your cradle picture). I wrapped the braided lines with hard plastic wire loom, and tie-wrapped them away from the PS line.

-A cover for the heat exchanger is nice to have in the winter as some have mentioned. You can go all-out and fab one - or you can tie-wrap a piece of styrofoam to the front of the cooler.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:06 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by RedLS6
Looks good! Your's is very similar to mine except for the heat exchanger brand. Couple of things -

-Where the braided lines run over the cradle on my car, I noticed some abrasion of the braided lines against the aluminum cradle after some miles. I also noticed abrasion against the power steering hose (visible in your cradle picture). I wrapped the braided lines with hard plastic wire loom, and tie-wrapped them away from the PS line.

-A cover for the heat exchanger is nice to have in the winter as some have mentioned. You can go all-out and fab one - or you can tie-wrap a piece of styrofoam to the front of the cooler.

Yes... I thought about that.... My heat shield stuff extends about 1/2 way into that cradle... I will try to figure out how to protect it the rest of the way ...Its so tight in there hard to get anything else in there to protect it... I will keep an eye on it for the next few drives

Get notified of new replies

To New Oil Cooler installed

Old 03-05-2009, 10:12 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I used this stuff here:

http://www.competitionproducts.com/p....asp?dept=1007

It is inexpensive and was recommended by another forum member. It does make the lines really tight going thru the cradle, but I had enough so that it covers the lines almost all the way past the radiator. My lines are exposed some from the cradle to radiator (rad is laid back from sc days) so the extra covering makes for good insurance. If you get some of this, make sure to get the size that will fit over your fittings.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...S/DSC_0168.jpg

Wrap the SS line anywhere it might even remotely touch something; when they rub they're like saw blades!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:31 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
I have about 15 hrs in mine so far. .... I worked for 1 1/2 hrs last nite trying to attach adapter to block. Car is only on jackstands, and there is just no room to work. It will take 3 hands. Very frustrating.
I feel for ya, went through a similar thing on mine. Had trouble with the adapter plate, and then I really screwed the pooch and stripped out one of the aluminum threads. Don't use an air ratchet on those, even just to snug the plate up, lol.

Quick Reply: New Oil Cooler installed