Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deterioration of brake pedal "feel"

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Deterioration of brake pedal "feel"

I was thinking that even as the pads wear down and the rotors wear down, that as long as I was bleeding and using good fluid, that I'd still have a firm, short pedal.

It doesn't seem that way.

New pads & rotors seem to bring it back though.

Brake lines are good & no caliper spread. Pads bedded in, all that stuff good.

Brakes stop ok, it's just pedal feel seems less than short & firm as the pads & rotors wear.

Should this be? If so, why?

No guesses please.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:51 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I was thinking that even as the pads wear down and the rotors wear down, that as long as I was bleeding and using good fluid, that I'd still have a firm, short pedal.

It doesn't seem that way.

New pads & rotors seem to bring it back though.

Brake lines are good & no caliper spread. Pads bedded in, all that stuff good.

Brakes stop ok, it's just pedal feel seems less than short & firm as the pads & rotors wear.

Should this be? If so, why?

No guesses please.

Easy, as the pistons move further out, the volume of the system increases. The master has a set amount of fluid it moves. So as the volume increases the amount of brake pedal travel increases.

Randy
Old 03-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Easy, as the pistons move further out, the volume of the system increases. The master has a set amount of fluid it moves. So as the volume increases the amount of brake pedal travel increases.

Randy
Not unless when you release the pedal the pistons pull back farther from the pads/rotors as they wear. Do they? A given amount of pedal travel will move the pistons the exact same amount no matter where the pistons are in the bore.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:28 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
Not unless when you release the pedal the pistons pull back farther from the pads/rotors as they wear. Do they? A given amount of pedal travel will move the pistons the exact same amount no matter where the pistons are in the bore.
It's getting late. Maybe not as easy as I once suggested.

Randy
Old 03-06-2009, 02:37 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is always worth checking the parallelism of the calipers to ensure that the caliper has not spread; are your pads tapered or do they wear evenly?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:10 AM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed this the other day with the stoptech ST40 calipers. Dumped my
half-used HPS pads, installed Axxis Ultimates and woop, the pedal was
higher and firmer. A lot. I assumed that it was the different pad types, not
with any particular justification.

I know I'm not allowed to guess, but...

One reason might be that the piston seals are not as rigid when the piston
is extended further (sounds improbable).

Another reason might be that the piston and the pad are no longer
perpendicular (ie: caliper spreading). So each time pressure is applied, a little
bit of the fluid volume is used to rotate the piston about its axis so that it fully
mates with the rear of the pad.

<runs out and measures the HPS's>

Yup, 0.2mm difference. So if my theory is correct then when the brakes are
released, one side of the piston is touching the pad while the other side of
the piston has about a 0.1mm gap. So it will require about 0.05mm piston
travel before the piston is fully mated against the rear of the pad. Dunno if
that's a noticeable amount of travel though.

Of course, it could be that the piston does not straighten itself up when it
is released from a wedge-shaped pad, in which case my theory is bunk.

But you did ask for guesses, didn't you?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
Even in this case it means you have a long pedal because you have to move the pistons back to the pads before you apply any force to the rotor...

Isn't this why the frugal types often stuff a old backing plate as a spacer between the pistons and the pad? I know some folks say "heat barrier" but ... ;-)
Old 03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Piston knock back........thats why you have to pump the pedal in a 'holy crap' manner on occasion......it WILL increase the 'sphincter factor' if you aren't expecting it. Not so much on a solo pad.........
Old 03-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Pad taper.

As they wear, pads lose their "parallelism" (just invented that word...pretty good, huh ?). Leading end of the pad wears differently than the trailing edge, due to temperature, "firebrand wipe", etc. etc. etc.

As they get "unparallel", you'll get more piston movement required to go from "relaxed" to "CLAMP THAT SUCKER".

Easy way to check is just take the pads out, and stack them face to face. If you can see any difference in wear between the leading and trailing ends, THAT is your problem. If you've got really big pads and multiple pistons, you can feel the problem without it even being visually apparent. I have Wilwood 6-piston GN calipers on one of the race fleet, and the big-*** pads & caliper layout are really susceptible to longer pedal travel as the pads get tapered.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:00 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sidney004
It is always worth checking the parallelism of the calipers to ensure that the caliper has not spread; are your pads tapered or do they wear evenly?
Some SLIGHT taper. I will ck parallel, but I think it's good.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:04 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Don Keefhardt
Pad taper.

As they wear, pads lose their "parallelism" (just invented that word...pretty good, huh ?). Leading end of the pad wears differently than the trailing edge, due to temperature, "firebrand wipe", etc. etc. etc.

As they get "unparallel", you'll get more piston movement required to go from "relaxed" to "CLAMP THAT SUCKER".

Easy way to check is just take the pads out, and stack them face to face. If you can see any difference in wear between the leading and trailing ends, THAT is your problem. If you've got really big pads and multiple pistons, you can feel the problem without it even being visually apparent. I have Wilwood 6-piston GN calipers on one of the race fleet, and the big-*** pads & caliper layout are really susceptible to longer pedal travel as the pads get tapered.
Thanks, I'm leaning to thinking its taper that gives me a slight longer/softer pedal & I will still ck parallel next time I pull rotors.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you have a good bleed and not boiled over brake fluid. It was my understand that pad taper with stock C5 calipers and race pads. The more they taper the deeper that pedal feel gets. The car still stops but it isn't a good feeling. Fresh set of pads and voila, good pedal feel.

To help control tapering I have been swapping the pads in the front left to right after day 1 at a 2 day DE. Helps with that pedal feel and gets me maybe an extra weekend out of the pads.

The only race pads I have used on track so far are Carbotechs. They are kinda soft and taper fast in the stock caliper.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:10 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by vms4evr
As long as you have a good bleed and not boiled over brake fluid. It was my understand that pad taper with stock C5 calipers and race pads. The more they taper the deeper that pedal feel gets. The car still stops but it isn't a good feeling. Fresh set of pads and voila, good pedal feel.

To help control tapering I have been swapping the pads in the front left to right after day 1 at a 2 day DE. Helps with that pedal feel and gets me maybe an extra weekend out of the pads.

The only race pads I have used on track so far are Carbotechs. They are kinda soft and taper fast in the stock caliper.
I never wrote it down, when I did pads. Which end tapers? bottom or top of pad?

So when you swap tapered pads do you put the taper end up or down?

Old 03-06-2009, 04:12 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vms4evr

You are correct!!! Taper is the culprit and Carbotechs seem to taper more than Hawks. Another reason why I'm sticking to Hawks.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by froggy47
I never wrote it down, when I did pads. Which end tapers? bottom or top of pad?

So when you swap tapered pads do you put the taper end up or down?

It is not a question of top or bottom. The leading edge of the pad wears more than the trailing edge. In the front brakes the leading edge is at the bottom. In the rear brakes the leading edge is at the top.

Change the pad to the opposite side of the rotor and you will extend its life by minimizing tapering.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 03-06-2009, 04:17 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Don Keefhardt
Pad taper.

Parallelism is a perfectly good word. Look it up in your Funk & Wagnalls (a joke for the oldsters that remember Laugh-In).

Frank Gonzalez
Old 03-06-2009, 04:49 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
You are correct!!! Taper is the culprit and Carbotechs seem to taper more than Hawks. Another reason why I'm sticking to Hawks.

Frank Gonzalez
I got some lightly used Hawk DTC70s from Joe that I am going to try in a couple of weeks. If I understand it right the Hawks will wear slower but the rotors will wear/crack faster. NAPA blanks are cheaper than new pads so it seems like a fair trade. Even if swapping rotors is more time consuming.

Get notified of new replies

To Deterioration of brake pedal "feel"

Old 03-06-2009, 05:37 PM
froggy47
Race Director

It is not a question of top or bottom. The leading edge of the pad wears more than the trailing edge. In the front brakes the leading edge is at the bottom. In the rear brakes the leading edge is at the top.

Change the pad to the opposite side of the rotor and you will extend its life by minimizing tapering.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 03-06-2009, 05:41 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

We found a trick a long time ago for pad taper. Put a 45 degree angle on the leading edge of the pad. No more "end milling" so to speak. You can run this 45 degree about 1/2 inch down the pad.

Randy
Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not a question of top or bottom. The leading edge of the pad wears more than the trailing edge.
Sometimes it is a question of top or bottom. If the taper on the pad is radial, where the "top" of the pad is worn markedly more than the "bottom" ; my experience is that the caliper has spread, which can be confirmed by measuring the parallelism between the piston faces and the ears where the other set of pads seat.

As you describe the leading edge of the pad always wears more than the trailing edge, which is a normal wear pattern.

Quick Reply: Deterioration of brake pedal "feel"