Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have experience with trailer "Ramp Overs"

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Anyone have experience with trailer "Ramp Overs"

I have done a lot of research and most enclosed trailers measure in at 81" between the wheelwells. A few are 83" such as the Haulmarks, but most are only 81". My track car is 79" wide without the wheels/tires and to load it into a trailer would necessitate changing the front two wheels/tires to a narrow set-up just to get the vehicle into the trailer. Even then I would only have 1" to spare on each side of the body possibly requiring multiple adjustments....

I am considering having "Ramp Overs" installed into my trailer. These are diamond plate aluminum ramps that are around 20" wide that run from the aft ramp and go up and over the wheel wells. I already have to winch the track car into the trailer to keep from burning up the clutch, so winching is already a requirement.

Does anyone have any experience with using these good/bad???

I can forsee that placing the tie down straps onto the frame would be much easier once the vehicle is 10" or so off the deck, but any negative issues to be concerned with?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRocket
I have done a lot of research and most enclosed trailers measure in at 81" between the wheelwells. A few are 83" such as the Haulmarks, but most are only 81". My track car is 79" wide without the wheels/tires and to load it into a trailer would necessitate changing the front two wheels/tires to a narrow set-up just to get the vehicle into the trailer. Even then I would only have 1" to spare on each side of the body possibly requiring multiple adjustments....

I am considering having "Ramp Overs" installed into my trailer. These are diamond plate aluminum ramps that are around 20" wide that run from the aft ramp and go up and over the wheel wells. I already have to winch the track car into the trailer to keep from burning up the clutch, so winching is already a requirement.

Does anyone have any experience with using these good/bad???

I can forsee that placing the tie down straps onto the frame would be much easier once the vehicle is 10" or so off the deck, but any negative issues to be concerned with?

Thanks!!!
My car is the same width, and we have hauled it a couple of times in a rig with the ramp overs. They were great as far as width goes (and also for being able to get under the car for tieing down (Dean, you know what I mean!), inspection etc.), but the problem was the entry angle and the angle at the peak where the ramps leveled off. My car is so low that both angles were huge problems and we had to use lots of wooden blocks and move it a few inches at a time, remove the blocks etc., so the low side skirts would not hit the angle at the peak. I often wondered about a set of the internal ramps that do not level off and simply maintain the entry angle somewhat so there is no peak.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:44 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

These guys seem to have a pretty good set-up as far as the ramp angles and crest...

http://www.buffaloespeedenterprises.com/317423.html

Old 03-07-2009, 08:37 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I would think raising the center of gravity that much might cause some issues under braking.....but of course lots of trailer have lifts/lift gates in them, so it's probably not a big deal. I've never had any problems driving my cars right into all of the closed trailers I've had (Pace, Featherlite, etc), so it seems like a lot of trouble to me personally.

Is this a Vette, or something else???
Old 03-07-2009, 08:39 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

those ramps actually look really nice, if you've got the $$$ to spare. Even would be nice for taking a look under the car in a pinch.

Still seems unnecessary to me, but it does look sharp.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Some of the guys who run modifieds in my area have ramp setups similar to that in their trailer. However, their ramps are a little higher so they can push the car in and actually work under it if they need to during a race.

Bill
Old 03-07-2009, 11:30 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Yeah, the car is a widebody NASCAR type GTA car; 79" at the fenders and 82" with the race wheels/tires.

I spoke with Haulmark and they can build me a trailer with 83" between the wheel-wells but still only 83" wide. That would leave 0.5" on each side...

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have experience with trailer "Ramp Overs"

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with trailer "Ramp Overs"