Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire wear Patterns?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tire wear Patterns?

What could be causing this kind of wear? The second to the outside tread is wearing more than the rest is this a Camber problem? Too much or to little

Last edited by Lan.Jet; 03-07-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:45 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Are you tracking and if you are possibly too much pressure. I had to little and the sidewall took the hit. So besed on that I thinking too > pressure. I'm no expert
Old 03-07-2009, 05:19 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say too much neg camber and too much pressure. I'm far from an expert, but from what I understand, that would explain that wear pattern.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Yes, this car is tracked I only drive it on the street to get to the track.
I have been running 30 PSI hot and -.8 Camber. I was running the stock 2000 Z51 stabilizer bar. I have just installed a T1 bar. I don’t know if this will help or hurt this problem.

Thanks for the replies
Old 03-07-2009, 06:24 PM
RogerT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire wear issue.

Forget about a negative camber problem. Too much negative camber will wear the inner tread first. Here, the outer tread is wearing. Too high tire pressure will wear the center tread first. Too much toe-in can wear the outer tread first, but will give a " finned " appearance to the tread, outside to inside, and more obvious on the right side tire. This does not look like a toe-in issue.

I'm thinking maybe you have low tire pressure and the tire tread is "rolling over " to the outside. What do the rest of you think?

I hope this helps.

Roger T
Old 03-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Add negative camber to at least -1.50 and add a two or three pounds of air pressure.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:51 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with LAST C5 - you need more negative camber - as much as the alignment tech can give you - and to raise your cold pressures a pound or two. This will even out the wear during track situations. On the other side of the coin if you also use the car for street driving, the extra negative camber will start to eat the inside of the tire in the same fashion. It's a damned if you do and a damned if you don't situation. Not enough negative = eat outside of tire on track. Enough negative for proper high loading track usage = eat the inside ribs of tire in street driving. If you go to R compound Kumhos or Hoosiers you will quickly destroy a very expensive set of tires without enough negative camber.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:33 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

excessive toe can cause this kind of problem..... do you know where it's set???
Old 03-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Originally Posted by Roger T
I'm thinking maybe you have low tire pressure and the tire tread is "rolling over " to the outside. What do the rest of you think?

I hope this helps.

Roger T
I Keep a close eye on the sidewall indicators > and the scuff is always at the tip. I will try more pressure and see what happens.

Originally Posted by Last C5
Add negative camber to at least -1.50 and add a two or three pounds of air pressure.
Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I agree with LAST C5 - you need more negative camber - as much as the alignment tech can give you - and to raise your cold pressures a pound or two. This will even out the wear during track situations. On the other side of the coin if you also use the car for street driving, the extra negative camber will start to eat the inside of the tire in the same fashion. It's a damned if you do and a damned if you don't situation. Not enough negative = eat outside of tire on track. Enough negative for proper high loading track usage = eat the inside ribs of tire in street driving. If you go to R compound Kumhos or Hoosiers you will quickly destroy a very expensive set of tires without enough negative camber.

I was thinking I had to go more -Camber. The only problem is this is a C5 with C6 z06 rims and tolerance is very close. I heard the Z06 has longer trailing arms to get more clearance. I just installed 1/4 inch spacers. So maybe I can get a little more with out buying new rims.

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
When I had the alignment last September it was set to 0

Thanks for all the replies

Last edited by Lan.Jet; 03-07-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:22 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Lan.Jet

When I had the alignment last September it was set to 0

Thanks for all the replies
There it is Toe should be in on the rear. Just enough so it doesn't go to toe out under braking.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
There it is Toe should be in on the rear. Just enough so it doesn't go to toe out under braking.
No, it isn't the toe. The wear pattern would be indicative of excessive toe in. Excessive toe in wears the outside of the tire. If you have near zero toe the wear pattern is camber related. In this case more rear negative camber is called for.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 03-08-2009, 04:36 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

30 hot seems a little low to me...?
Old 03-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

I have been running 30PSI for about three years and only last fall after running about six days at lime rock did this problem start showing. I will be taking tire temps this year so that should help. I would think that because these are EMT tires if the pressure was low it would wear the edge more because of the hard block supporting the edges?
I am probably wrong I will try experimenting more this season it’s the only way to learn.
Thanks again for the help
Old 03-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

As mentioned above I am running 0 but where should it be set?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may also wish to check the suspension for fore/aft movement.. try jacking the car slightly , say an inch and a half and see if you get more toe-in or toe out when it is up... you may have a sort of bump steer problem from worn / loose suspension bushings and anchors.. when you acclerate there is some squat which you could also check the toe changes with a chain to hold the car down as you lift it ever so litttle on a 4 post rack..

I would also put a spirit level against the face of the tire to be sure that I did indeed have negative camber. It looks a lot like the tires on the front of my Suburban from hard cornering with zero to positive camber...

Last edited by Tintin; 03-08-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:25 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

i would measure the toe to make sure.............

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/align.pdf
Old 03-08-2009, 09:02 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said, "I have been running 30PSI for about three years and only last fall after running about six days at lime rock did this problem start showing."

Eureka! This is the clue we've been looking for!

I think your camber setting has moved/changed.

This is a common problem with Corvettes. If the eccentric bolt (used to set the camber) is not tightened enough, the eccentric can move, which will result in a more positive camber setting than you used to have. This is more likely to happen when you track your car, because the high cornering forces put a lot of pressure on the camber eccentrics. Occasionally hitting the apex curbing can also cause this.

Your tire wear indicates hard cornering with less than adequate negative camber. I believe that your camber adjustment moved last fall, so now you do not have 0.8 degrees negative anymore.

If I were you, I would have an alignment shop check all the alignment settings again, INSIST they torque the bolts correctly, then check the torque settings myself.

What do the rest of you think? Am I on the right track?

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Tire wear Patterns?

Quick Reply: Tire wear Patterns?