Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to improve on last year's AutoX season

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:04 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to improve on last year's AutoX season

Looking to see if what I picked up during the offseason will help improve upon last year's results:

Added a "sharkbar" style harness bar (2 3/8" aluminum .1875)
Added Corbeau FX1 seats (with sliders)
Pfadt Seat mount for the driver's side
Pyrotect 5 pt camlock harness clip in

Car is an 01z, AR Headers, Stinger and tune makes 372whp
Brakes are stock, rotors and pads have less than 500 miles. Blue fluid
06z shocks with 3k miles on them. Car is lowered .75". Factory sways, 02 up metal end links
02 z06 rims with 275/315 710's. Lots of runs on them, but they are not dead just yet. Hoping to get into the warm season and see if I need to pickup new rubber or not.

Any other advice other than seat time? I am basically weighing shocks vs new rubber. I was thinking pfadt sports.

Thanks in advance
Fej
Old 03-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Originally Posted by fej
Looking to see if what I picked up during the offseason will help improve upon last year's results:

Added a "sharkbar" style harness bar (2 3/8" aluminum .1875)
Added Corbeau FX1 seats (with sliders)
Pfadt Seat mount for the driver's side
Pyrotect 5 pt camlock harness clip in

Car is an 01z, AR Headers, Stinger and tune makes 372whp
Brakes are stock, rotors and pads have less than 500 miles. Blue fluid
06z shocks with 3k miles on them. Car is lowered .75". Factory sways, 02 up metal end links
02 z06 rims with 275/315 710's. Lots of runs on them, but they are not dead just yet. Hoping to get into the warm season and see if I need to pickup new rubber or not.

Any other advice other than seat time? I am basically weighing shocks vs new rubber. I was thinking pfadt sports.

Thanks in advance
Fej
Fresh rubber will gain you most time wise for sure. The stock C6Z shocks are great to start out on. Once you have reached the limit of them then make the jump to adjustables. I'm currently running the pfadt's and have been extremely impressed with them so far.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
Fresh rubber will gain you most time wise for sure. The stock C6Z shocks are great to start out on. Once you have reached the limit of them then make the jump to adjustables. I'm currently running the pfadt's and have been extremely impressed with them so far.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Call me crazy.....but why are you running C6Z shocks in a C5 ?

My advice is too simply copy the fastest C5Z06 guy in your area---minus maybe fancy shocks.

Better yet get someone faster than you as a co-driver.

What you really have there is kinda just a C5Z06 type set-up.....but you know just enough to mess it up....sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

C6z shocks were put on the car about 6 months after I purchased it as it was my DD then. I did not really realize until you asked about them how many miles are really on them, about 18k. Easier for me to justify getting new shocks

I replaced them at the time as the valving is not too much different than the 01z shocks, length was the same, and the replacement set of the C6z's were half ($195) what 04's or similar were. By no means are they great shocks, but they are definitely better than the shocks that had 48k on them when I replaced them.

Think I am going to have to try and save to do both tires and shocks. There seems to be a large pro Koni single group on the forums, and a smaller but more vocal anti-Koni group here.

I really don't plan on playing with adjustments once I get the car set up and weighted, so I guess I am asking Pfadt Sport, Bilstein, or Koni singles?

Thanks for the help
Fej
Old 03-18-2009, 09:53 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would highly recommend an in car camera and / or data acquisition like MaxQ or DL-1. If you use these regularly you will probably be much faster at the end of the year than if you bought tires or shocks. The camera and data acq allow you to get more feedback since you can compare to the local fast guys and have them critique your video.

If you do want to buy shocks, the 3013 Koni's are what are on the highest finishing SS Vette at Nationals.

Chris Shay
Old 03-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Originally Posted by fej
C6z shocks were put on the car about 6 months after I purchased it as it was my DD then. I did not really realize until you asked about them how many miles are really on them, about 18k. Easier for me to justify getting new shocks

I replaced them at the time as the valving is not too much different than the 01z shocks, length was the same, and the replacement set of the C6z's were half ($195) what 04's or similar were. By no means are they great shocks, but they are definitely better than the shocks that had 48k on them when I replaced them.

Think I am going to have to try and save to do both tires and shocks. There seems to be a large pro Koni single group on the forums, and a smaller but more vocal anti-Koni group here.

I really don't plan on playing with adjustments once I get the car set up and weighted, so I guess I am asking Pfadt Sport, Bilstein, or Koni singles?

Thanks for the help
Fej

I switched from the Bilstein sports to the Pfadt's. With the new shocks I can simply get on the power earlier out of corner. The car feels so much more planted through transitions. They also soak up mid corner bumps flawlessly. I'm still working on getting the settings dialed in but I can tell you that every click can be felt. It's a very nice shock for the money
Old 03-18-2009, 10:33 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxer6
If you do want to buy shocks, the 3013 Koni's are what are on the highest finishing SS Vette at Nationals.

Chris Shay
No wonder you didn't win...you were on the wrong shocks.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:12 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

That's some of the crazy stuff I keep hearing.

About how great some sway-bar or some shocks are.

Doesn't make that big a deal. More top drivers don't know what they are doing with shocks than anything else.

Get a shock that simply works---ok that's .07 % of the formula needed to win.

Driving...that's the other 99 + %
Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 AM
klasik-69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
I switched from the Bilstein sports to the Pfadt's. With the new shocks I can simply get on the power earlier out of corner. The car feels so much more planted through transitions. They also soak up mid corner bumps flawlessly. I'm still working on getting the settings dialed in but I can tell you that every click can be felt. It's a very nice shock for the money
I run the Pfadt coil overs and wish I could say that every click counts. I really can't feel much difference between 4 or 5 clicks. If I run all one way vs. the other, yes I can feel the difference. I have no complaints about them and the handling, but don't notice subtle changes.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Alignment settings?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

I don't have them with me, but they are right in line with the settings recommended here (and from the guys I run with). I will find the paper tonight and post them up.

Lehman I hear you, I run against guys with 3 way Penske's and guys that have been sorting out their car for the last 12 years (Grand sport) who tear it down after every weekend We have what I would think is a pretty skilled group with a fair amount of national champs across several classes.

I have a long ways to go with the seat time before I begin to really be competitive, I just want to try and make the right choices and travel the right path to get there in the shortest amount of time

Fej
Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of camber. Poly bushings. Corner weighting.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:37 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Bringing this back from the dead.

Picked up Penske singles for a great price that are freshly revalved for stock z setup.

Played around with my normal setup (275/40/17 and 315/35/18) against 315/35/18F and 335/30/17R combos this season (always used tires). Hoping to do a 305/18F and a 315/18R at the next event which will be the first with the new shocks.

Gary's pintop mounts are (hopefully) in route.

Picked up about a second from the 2.5 seconds or so I was slow last year against guys on new rubber 2x a year. Not bad I thought considering my late 04 date coded V710's with 100+ runs on them.

Hoping the shocks help a tiny bit, and new rubber to start next season.

Any other advice is appreciated. I run ASP.

Still working on the nut behind the wheel
Fej

Last edited by fej; 09-17-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to improve on last year's AutoX season

Quick Reply: Trying to improve on last year's AutoX season