Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corner Weighting C4

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Midnight LT4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corner Weighting C4

I haven't had any luck cornerweighting my 1996 LT4 A-stock car. My diagonal weights were about 120 lbs off so I tried adjusting a rear spring bolt (both were as low as they could go to start with) The weights moved in the right direction but not as fast as I thought it would. After driving it to settle the car it returned to pretty much the original settings. After a while I was as high as I could go on one side and as low as I could go on the other side and with around the same cross weights that I started with. My theory is that the rear spring mounts are so close together that after driving, the rear spring sort of self levels so that about the same weight is carried by both left and right sides.

Anyone have any luck with corner weighting their C4 or have any insight into my situation?
Old 03-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that I have done it but are you disconnecting a swaybar link on each bar?
Old 03-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=corner+weigh
Old 03-21-2009, 03:10 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David Farmer corner weighted my C4 and maybe he will chime in. In order to get it done, we had to put on the longer rear spring bolts and I also bought the VBP transverse spring with adjustable ends similar to a C5. I needed a stiffer front spring anyway so it just made sense to go that route. I will say that between the corner weighting and proper track alignment, it mad a big difference.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Make sure the rubber pads on the spring mounts aren't shot and letting the spring rock. You should be able to get a decent corner weight difference doing what you have done.. I was able to get my C4 very close to right with the stock bolts, but you are right, one was as loose as I could get it with the cotter key in the nut, and the other was almost all the way up tight...

In A Stock he can't change the bolt lengths...

After all, it is a 12 year old car and the rubber does tend to get soft after a few years...

Also, on a stock C4 with rubber bushings on the front bar you can jack some weight with the front bar using adjustable end links. While not the best way to do it, the bar is clamped in the rubber and the rubber twists, so the bar won't shift from side to side like it will in a C5.

I still suspect that the rear spring isn't clamped tight.. Also that would tend to make the rear roll stiffness lower and would also make the car push more....

Last edited by Solofast; 03-21-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corner Weighting C4

Quick Reply: Corner Weighting C4