Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my boosted Z06 @ NJMP

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default my boosted Z06 @ NJMP

took the z06 to the lightning course @ NJMP for a PDX w/the SCCAon 3/21.

Along with flushing all the fluids, in preparation for the event I replaced the stock rad with a Dewitts unit, added a set of Quantium Motorsport brake cooling ducts and switched to Carbotech XP-10 pads in the front & xp-8's in the rear. The results of the above modifications netted me an AWESOME time at the track. The highest my coolant temps got were 181*, oil reached an indicated 248* (still need to install the oil cooler) and the brakes never faded with the new pads, motul 600 RBF & quantium ducts.

Only issue I had was cracking all four of my drilled and slotted rotors just before the last session of the day. They will be replaced with solid units before next time.

Over all my impression of the track is that its FAST and if you take the right line very smooth. I hit almost 150 on the long straight lifting a hundred feet or so before the flag tower.

The SCCA put on a great event. Only issues IMO was with the classroom instruction. The guy doing that didn't really have clue what he was talking about and it showed.
I also would have liked to had instructors with me each time I ran but I think they were scared of the car or something.

All the other drivers were polite and gave the point by as soon as you got in the passing zones. I had both my cameras setup facing front and rear and I got some real good videos, I just need to go threw them all and edit them.

I know there were a couple other forum members there, I'd like to hear their impressions of the event.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:39 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Great facility there.

I'm real glad I had a chance to get out on the track

too bad you didn't have Gary Hoffman as an instructor, he was hitting 153 in his C6Z06
Old 03-23-2009, 03:48 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
took the z06 to the lightning course @ NJMP for a PDX w/the SCCAon 3/21.

Along with flushing all the fluids, in preparation for the event I replaced the stock rad with a Dewitts unit, added a set of Quantium Motorsport brake cooling ducts and switched to Carbotech XP-10 pads in the front & xp-8's in the rear. The results of the above modifications netted me an AWESOME time at the track. The highest my coolant temps got were 181*, oil reached an indicated 248* (still need to install the oil cooler) and the brakes never faded with the new pads, motul 600 RBF & quantium ducts.

Only issue I had was cracking all four of my drilled and slotted rotors just before the last session of the day. They will be replaced with solid units before next time.

Over all my impression of the track is that its FAST and if you take the right line very smooth. I hit almost 150 on the long straight lifting a hundred feet or so before the flag tower.

The SCCA put on a great event. Only issues IMO was with the classroom instruction. The guy doing that didn't really have clue what he was talking about and it showed.
I also would have liked to had instructors with me each time I ran but I think they were scared of the car or something.

All the other drivers were polite and gave the point by as soon as you got in the passing zones. I had both my cameras setup facing front and rear and I got some real good videos, I just need to go threw them all and edit them.

I know there were a couple other forum members there, I'd like to hear their impressions of the event.

Too bad you didn't ask me to ride with you. I'm not scared of Vettes. I would even have taken you around in mine (#97).

Lightning is NOT hard on brakes, it only has two braking points (T1 and T7) with plenty of cooling time in between. If you cracked all 4 rotors you need to make sure you get undrilled rotors pronto!!

It is unusual for C6Z rear rotors to crack. Did you have the electronic nannies on? If so, that's the reason for the craked rear rotors; the A/H was intervening with rear brake applications to help keep the car from sliding, thus heated the snot out of the rear brakes.

Remember, smooth is fast. If you are activating the A/H in competitive mode, we may need to talk about your driving style.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 03-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Knucklehead Racing
Instructor

It was fun out there. Nice day. Tons of track time. I was breaking in a new engine on my T1 Vette #94. Really nice day. Good to see you Frank. Thanks for the 4 minute tire change.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't waste your d/s rotors at the track. Just scan the parts section and get some slightly used stock rotors for cheap. I just got a set last week of fronts with 9500 mi for $35 and shipping. I like the Carbotechs alot. They stop well, don't fade and have enough bite to slow me down without upsetting my car too much. Track sounds like a blast. I just got thru putting an oil cooler on mine as I was over 300* last Dec at VIR after just 4 laps. Will see how it helps next week.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:46 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good stuff Marc, I want to see some video
Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

solid rotors are going on before the car leaves the garage again thats for sure. the D/S rotors were only run cause they came with the car and I didn't have time to get replacements before the event.

I was running with all the traction control stuff off. Not sure why the rears cracked but that tells me the braking bias is sufficent in the rear. I'll get some pics, its not a little crack but several LONG cracks.

fgonzalezfj I wish I would have known you would've rode along. I asked twice for instructors but wasn't given one either time. A ride along in your car would have been nice too. I almost had this guy named Steve w/a pheonix preped cyber grey z06 as my instructor but he got me confused with another student.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:38 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

found a shot someone took of my car about to enter the long straight, notice the new vanity plate

Old 03-23-2009, 11:03 PM
phillymike
Advanced

I had a great time at the event.

I was in the PDX group B (in a Ford product, shhh), and had Frank as my instructor. He gave me some great tips, showed me the line, and gave me a thrill ride in his Z06.

I had absolutely no idea what that car was capable of.

What can I say? I'm hooked! On Frank's recommendation, I'm considering the Bertil-Roos 5 day course to get my competition license. I'm already looking for a c5, or maybe the right c6 to build as my own track toy.

Thanks again Frank for everything, and please don't feel bad about my leaving early. Coming in was the right move for me, and next time I'll be better prepared mentally, physically, and with a more prepared car.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:31 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
solid rotors are going on before the car leaves the garage again thats for sure. the D/S rotors were only run cause they came with the car and I didn't have time to get replacements before the event.

I was running with all the traction control stuff off. Not sure why the rears cracked but that tells me the braking bias is sufficent in the rear. I'll get some pics, its not a little crack but several LONG cracks.

fgonzalezfj I wish I would have known you would've rode along. I asked twice for instructors but wasn't given one either time. A ride along in your car would have been nice too. I almost had this guy named Steve w/a pheonix preped cyber grey z06 as my instructor but he got me confused with another student.

Bad communications. My apologies on behalf of SCCA. "Steve with the Phoenix Cyber Grey car" is my buddy and partner in crime Steve Landstra. Too bad you two didn't get together. He is an excellent driver and a good instructor.

Come to the National Corvette Museum HPDE at Lightning on July 20-21and ask for me specifically. I will make sure you get a top notch instructor and get to ride with him at least one session.

PM me if you register for the July 20-21 event so I can make arrangements for your instructor. Or you can look for a yellow C6Z (#97) in the paddock.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

I would love to do the NCM event but I won't be around a computer when registration opens on Thursday. Maybe I can catch you two at another SCCA event. I don't know if you've run with trackdaze before but I'll be going back to lightning with them in September.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 AM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

I kind of like Lighting...some don't. I tried Thunderbolt and it's much more technical but still tons of fun. My temps didn't go above 190* all day, I'm sure the cool weather had much to do with it not to mention how hard you drive your Vette. Doug proved that to me last yrHell even if I have to back off a bit to cool her dn, I'm still having a great time and that is all that counts it's not a race, there is no trophies at the end just keeping your car in one piece is reward enough.My highlight of the day was going for a ride with Dave Rosenblum (30yr racing vet) from TT4C in his Subaru (4 door all wheel drive WXJ LMNOP or whatever you call it) eating up the track and a Lamborghini.The man can drive, it's all about the driver!!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:20 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

yes, the weather was perfect, especially for my boosted car. i was REALLY surprised my coolant temps didn't go higher then 181*. Just shows how well that new Dewitts rad i installed is working. I was being pretty hard on the car too. I was well north of 6k RPM @ WOT in 4th gear on almost every lap and I didn't have to point anyone by the whole day.

One really cool thing was the fact that I did the whole track in 4th gear. I saw maybe two spots where I could have down shifted into third. it was that sharp left hander after going threw the underpass and the other was the lightbulb turn before the long straight. Probably could have carried more speed entering the straight if I redlined 3rd but since my car makes so much torque down low and I wasn't out there racing I just kept it in 4th. I was fast enough that I didn't have to point anyone by all day.

Something I forgot to mention was that the best learning experience of the day for me was the 2nd session where we did the "no braking" exercise. That was the first time I did something like that and I'll admit I was skeptical about it but boy did I learn a ton from it. I'm going to be doing that now everytime I visit a new track from now on.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:37 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

What is the no braking exercise? Also, when do we get to see some vids?
Old 03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

basically you just drive around the track and try not to use the brakes. it sounded stupid the first time I heard it honestly but it showed you how to build momemtum and gives the track a 'rythem' if that makes any sense.

this is my attempt at editing the incar and rear camera... may still be processing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRCz-4ynAaw
Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

third session of 5 and the first time I really started to open her up. I think the instructor was a little skurd

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/s...ing_642933.htm
Old 03-26-2009, 05:21 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

couple more vids

session 4 part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNHPM...eature=related

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyxrK...eature=related

Get notified of new replies

To my boosted Z06 @ NJMP

Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I have to say, the Lightning course put a big smile on my face. I had a blast there, and except for needing a replacement trailer tire (and a local truck tire joint had an 8 ply 80 PSI version for $120 mounted), everything went well. Nice part of the country, lots of services, nice hotels and restuarants, could not be much better. Besides, the great guys at ECS are not too far away if you need help! I will be be back for sure.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

The guy doing that didn't really have clue what he was talking about and it showed.

I asked twice for instructors but wasn't given one either time.

Uhhh, at the PDX events, most instructors are clearly labelled as such with BRIGHT GREEN or YELLOW glow in the dark hats! Grab ahold of one !

That's funny about the lead instructor not knowing about what he was talking about. There must've been like 20 wrecks during that event?!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:29 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

re. the lead instructor; I think it was more a problem with confidence, talking in front of a large group and articulating his point. I'm sure he 'knew what he was talking about' but he wasn't able to communicate any of that info the class.

Quick Reply: my boosted Z06 @ NJMP