Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radiator fans question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default radiator fans question

I noticed there are 3 relays for these. My assumption is that there one for each fan and a third for high speed. So do both fans work at low speed and then again the same at high speed?
Also, anyone know what the amp draw is on them as well as the cfm? I'm thinking about replacing the factory setup with a single fan to clean up the area and I simply don't like the clumsy factory install.
thanks,
-V
Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I looked in my service manual and thought I would update. Of the three relays, two are the same. At low speed both fans work in series off one relay. In high speed the third relay (its the different looking one) changes the ground and separates the fans to run in parallel each off a separate relay. The amp draw or cfm I still cannot find anywhere.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:57 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Bringing this back up. I am actually doing the single fan now and would prefer to use the factory relay. Anyone know what the amp rating is? Factory dual fan cfm?
Old 04-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
Bringing this back up. I am actually doing the single fan now and would prefer to use the factory relay. Anyone know what the amp rating is? Factory dual fan cfm?

DeWitts has a dual fan package for the C5 Corvette. They advertise that their fans produce 3,200 cfm - "double the factory output."
Old 04-19-2010, 04:01 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I've looked at not only spal, but some of their distributers and every one lists different cfm ratings for the same fans. Not sure who to believe.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've looked at not only spal, but some of their distributers and every one lists different cfm ratings for the same fans. Not sure who to believe.

I bought a Spal 16" that had an "Average" rating of 3000cfm.
Did the same thing you are doing. DeWitts Rad and removed the factory stuff.
Saved about 10lbs on the nose and in front of the axle
This setup works great and flows better at speed than the factory setup ever will due to more open air flow around and through the fan.
In town and as I come off the track it works great. Car cools right down.
I reprogrammed my fans to turn off about 50mph and to turn on at 200 degrees and off at 180 degrees. When I came in from on track this weekend after a 45 minute session it took the fan about 5 - 10 minutes to cool the Water temp to 180 then shut off.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:12 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
When I came in from on track this weekend after a 45 minute session it took the fan about 5 - 10 minutes to cool the Water temp to 180 then shut off.
Is this a good measure since the water pump isn't moving the water, or do you leave the car running?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:31 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

geerookie, I was just about to give up on the single fan. Everywhere I've searched I've come to the conclusion that a single spal 16" will not cool enough at low speed. Can you idle your car in traffic on a hot day without the water temp getting too hot? Even with the stock fans in that situation my car gets about 220 or so. Keep in mind I plan on keeping the A/C condensor in front.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:00 PM
geerookie
Drifting

This will kink of answer both questions.
When I come in I leave the car running until it gets down to 180. If you don't it just heat soaks the motor.

I live in NJ and just got the car back on the track/road two weeks ago...
It hasn't been warm enough to try the new setup on the road and I don't have AC anymore.
This past Friday it was about 75ish when I did the 45 min. run and it cooled the car while not moving and only idling so I would say it would work awesome on the road, even with AC. I also have the factory thermostat.
One note...the SPAL does move a ton of air and along with that comes some noise.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens. What part # spal are you using? I think I will go with the curved blade 16" puller. #2049
Old 04-20-2010, 09:30 AM
geerookie
Drifting

I guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens. What part # spal are you using? I think I will go with the curved blade 16" puller. #2049
I'm using the 2120. Just remember suction fans are more efficient and offer better cooling through the rad when off. I think the 2049 is also suction.

The 16" is a near perfect size for the DeWitts rad. I made my own custom aluminum mount and wired into the factory Fan 1 circuit.

Get notified of new replies

To radiator fans question

Quick Reply: radiator fans question