Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nascar drilled rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:12 AM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Nascar drilled rotors

At the Martinsville race this Sunday they were showing the latest, greatest hot set up for brakes since that track is very brake intensive and the rotor they showed was drilled. Thought that drilled rotors were a no, no for racing...or is it because they probably throw away the rotor after the race. One of the broadcasters (Waltrip?) commented on the problem with NASCAR brakes is the limitation put on them by the tire/wheel size. They didn't quite explain the calipers except to say they were much lighter than the previous ones. The clouds of brake dust during tire changes were awesome, cough, cough
Old 03-31-2009, 12:30 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

The rotor & caliper that Jeff Hammond (the commentator) showed on TV is the new Raybestos-branded brake setup that Joe Gibbs Racing is working with. That rotor has a LOT more swept area then a normal Sprint Cup rotor, because the caliper has been re-shaped to be very narrow (and much lighter, too), to allow for the bigger rotor and still fit the whole deal within the confines of the mandated 15-inch diameter wheels.

It may have looked like the rotor was cross-drilled, but actually those indentations do not go all the way through the rotor, and are cast into it during manufacture, instead of being drilled through afterwards. It's hard to see that on TV, though.

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 03-31-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:27 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the caliper, claimed to be stiffest and lightest in NASCAR:
http://www.raybestoschassis.com/wps/...df?MOD=AJPERES
It is made by Alcon.
Here is the story:
http://www.raybestoschassis.com/wps/...Braking+System

13.15" O.D. x1.65" thk rotors, Raybestos pads:
http://www.raybestoschassis.com/wps/...ate+At+Bristol

Technical specifications:
http://www.alconusa.com/client_image...nt.13_97_4.pdf

Last edited by Sidney004; 03-31-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:09 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

NASCAR just started to use aerodynamic aids. which was about mid 60s when the rest of the racing world starting using aerodynamics.

So if NASCAR is now just using drilled and slotted rotors, that is about right on the evolutionary level of nascar.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
NASCAR just started to use aerodynamic aids. which was about mid 60s when the rest of the racing world starting using aerodynamics.

So if NASCAR is now just using drilled and slotted rotors, that is about right on the evolutionary level of nascar.
Sorry Tom, I have to respectively disagree, and I realize that to give the appearance of halfway defending Nascar on this forum risks banishment for life! With that said, Nascar has worked with aero for years (200mph Dodge Daytona back in '68). They do more with less (within the rules) than anyone. On the big tracks (Dega and Daytona) they used to "cheat" and move a front fender up/out for the additional downforce. They know exactly how to set up the car for minimal drag on tracks with long straights and maximize mechanical grip for the turns on the same track. They play with the rake of the car for more or less downforce for the given track. They aren't allowed to use trick parts but those engineers and crew chiefs are some of the best at getting the most out of a car on the planet. Their rules are tight and restrictive by design to promote close racing, and some of their technology is "old" but I don't see how anyone can't say it is some of the closest hardest racing there is.

I watch F1 for high tech racing that is occasionally close racing (maybe the rule changes this year will improve that).

I watch NASCAR for close hard GREAT racing, even while their technology is controlled and dated in many areas of the car.

My personal opinion is that NASCAR only changes technology when they think they have a problem - typically when the racing starts to become less "close", and certainly for safety reasons - but they never implement new techno just for the sake of it.

Now fire away boys!

Oh, almost forgot - the original post was about brakes! Indeed NASCAR has some of the best brakes money can buy b/c the cars are so heavy. True, no carbon discs, and limitations due to the wheels, and some great engineering to fit great systems within those constraints (the very definition of engineering) but the abuse on the brakes at a track like Martinsville is incredible. Some of the teams use AP brakes at Martinsville as well.

Last edited by Everett Ogilvie; 03-31-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:40 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Everett, Well said!!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:47 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

there's only so much brake you can stick in a 15" wheel. The fact that they can work around that with a 900 hp 3400 lb car and have brakes at the end of the day at Watkins Glen/Martinsville/Infinieon is pretty amazing.

I shot some video for a piece we were doing a few yrs ago at Gibbs (before COT), they were prepping for m-ville that week. Here's a shot of what they were using back when. Hard to get a feel for the pads as the angle of the shot is steep, but those are the thickest pads I had ever seen
Old 03-31-2009, 04:43 PM
ctk30
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a road course car

Old 03-31-2009, 05:07 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Tom was just being a hard-***, and I totally agree with him. I can't stand Nascar, but I do occasionally watch a lap or two now that they have aero treatment that compliment the current state of racing knowledge (sort of).

They discussed NASCAR braking a bit during the F1 race this weekend......Nascar brakes hit around 1000deg F, while F1 carbon brakes hit twice that much!!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Tom was just being a hard-***,

Thank you very much.

What ever. YES Nascar does give lots of other motor sports support in one way or another. NASCAR does employee many many ppl, Heck almost whole towns north of Concord NC work for one team or an other.

and the amount or brakes, rotors, calipers and pads, these teams go though in a season. you an find almost any brake calipers you want on eBay from some NASCAR shop or anther.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:20 PM
anotherone
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default omg

[QUOTE=ctk30;1569519360]This is a road course car

When I saw this picture I was shocked since I just changed brakes for sebring. Mine looked like toys.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nascar doesn't have near the same braking profile that most road races have.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

NASCAR engineers are as sophisticated as any on the planet. They just must work within rules that are designed for even, close competition and cost savings rather than technology for technology's sake. As any of you following F1 know, the FIA and the related groups are looking at all kinds of cost savings, including annual budget caps, to bring costs back in line with reality. They are heading NASCAR's way, not the other way around. F1 may even have customer chassis before long....

And, if we really were to go to where tech is now, the driver would do very little and digital electronics, robotics and sensors would take over. We can already build cars that would generate g-loadings beyond what any person could readily handle if the rules permitted using more than 4wheels....and we could build a robotic car that could out-lap Lewis Hamilton, if cost where no object.

Get notified of new replies

To Nascar drilled rotors

Quick Reply: Nascar drilled rotors