Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mild Suspension Setup on C5, Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:39 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Mild Suspension Setup on C5, Help.

Hey guys, Im trying to setup my C5 as a nice canyon carver and occasional autocrosser. I just ordered some C6Z06 sways but I hear some guys saying the bigger rear sway bar causes oversteer. But, wouldnt the bigger front sway bar counter that? Theyre suggesting big tires like 335's. I have 245-45 r18's in front and 295-35 r18's in rear. The car is lowered to the max with longer bolts in rear and no bushings in front. Handles good already and stays pretty flat in the corners but I want something a little more aggressive. I was thinking C6Z06 shocks as well with my stock spring so that it wont be way too aggressive. Some guys with stock C5 tire sizes say they like the C6Z06 sways. Should I expect the same? Thnx.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Davinss
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by 'want something more agressive'. Even the stock suspension on the C5 is fantastic and more than good enough for a 'canyon carver/autocross'. If you don't have the Z51 package it would be worth picking up some used Z51/Z06 parts but other than that save your money and just buy good tires and an alignment.

The main thing holding any C5 back is the driver. So if you want to go faster get more seat time and try to improve your driving.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:45 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

I have pushed the car very hard at times and have plenty of driving time in it. I am saving my money by picking up used Z51/Z06 parts instead of $2k aftermarket setups. Just wanna push the car a little more and keep it flatter so I thought the Z06sways would help. What I meant by "too aggresive" was to have an extremely harsh ride on the streets and spending a lot of money. Im even getting some Corbeau racing seats and harnesses to get a better feel in the car while driving hard and have a chin spoiler to keep that front end low at higher speeds.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
I have pushed the car very hard at times and have plenty of driving time in it. I am saving my money by picking up used Z51/Z06 parts instead of $2k aftermarket setups. Just wanna push the car a little more and keep it flatter so I thought the Z06sways would help. What I meant by "too aggresive" was to have an extremely harsh ride on the streets and spending a lot of money. Im even getting some Corbeau racing seats and harnesses to get a better feel in the car while driving hard and have a chin spoiler to keep that front end low at higher speeds.
u want to go fast, be safe and have incredible handling?

one word.....Tires!

Tires make all the difference in the world!!!

more than horsepower more than suspension.

tires dude tires!

put your money into tires!

for stock or slightly added horsepower 285 in front and 315 in the rear is optimal! i recommend nitto 555 R2 or michelin sport cups for fantastic canyon cutting!

and buy CCW rims or equivelant. you wont need any suspension mods with those skins!

Last edited by rustyguns; 04-01-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:03 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Yeah, agreed. I was looking into either another set of rims with R compund tires or the Nitto 555 II/NT-01. The BFG kdw aint to bad right now either but you can beat competition tires. Anyone have an opinion on the C6Z06 sways though?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:18 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought the Pfadt adjustable shocks and used C5 Z06 sway bars for less that $1k. Difference is night and day.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:25 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

The best stuff are the basics. Pretty cheap, too.

Make sure that you have a good alignment appropriate for the type of driving you want to do.

Corner balancing a C5 will do wonders, especially if you've lowered it.

Pick up some heim joint sway bar end links. If you want to go the budget route, pick up two and use one on the front and one on the rear. Goal is to make sure that there is no pre-load in the bars.

Make sure that your sway bars rotate freely. If you're putting used bars on the car, make sure that there's no rust where they rotate inside the bushing.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:45 PM
waktasz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car is much too low.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:29 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

C6 Z51 rear bar might be better. It's smaller then the C6 Z06 one. Where are you planning to go autocrossing?

Steve
Old 04-01-2009, 07:34 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by waktasz
Your car is much too low.
you don't want to slam the suspension. between one and two inch drop from stock is plenty. you bounce off a fully compressed suspension in a turn...you spin!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:38 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Yeah, agreed. I was looking into either another set of rims with R compund tires or the Nitto 555 II/NT-01. The BFG kdw aint to bad right now either but you can beat competition tires. Anyone have an opinion on the C6Z06 sways though?
rear c6 z06 sway wont fit. front will though

z51 sway is very good
Old 04-01-2009, 11:26 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rustyguns
rear c6 z06 sway wont fit. front will though

z51 sway is very good
Just put them both on. No problems and pretty easy.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Thnx for all the advice guys. For now, I just put the C6Z06 sways on and I felt a difference right away. The car feels really responsive and really flat on corners. Theres not much play on the steering wheel either, nice n tight. My next plans are some shocks and a good alignment. The car dosnt bounce much right noweven as low as it is. I will be doing as many upgrades as I can but I might take me a little while, gotta buy a house first. Thnx again guys. BTW, what would be the best tires for a weekend driver that drives to an occasional autocross event? Handling + longevity?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:33 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
C6 Z51 rear bar might be better. It's smaller then the C6 Z06 one. Where are you planning to go autocrossing?

Steve
Thats what everyones been telling me but I guess I'll keep it on for now. As for racing, Im not too sure yet. I was thinking the L.A. Invasion event in May.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

. I was thinking the L.A. Invasion event in May.
What event is that? Go to Solo2.com that's where I autocross.

Steve
Old 04-02-2009, 06:58 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Its a annual event at California Speedway. It has drag racing, autocross ad car show. Its pretty cool. This would be my first autocross event. I will look up that Solo2 site though. I would like some seat time on a real course.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 PM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've driven base C5s on road courses, and thought they handled very well. This isn't some econobox with MacStrut suspension that needs stiff bars and springs to handle well. Unless you're really chasing faster times, I would leave the suspension stock and just do tires and an alignment.

Dunlop Direzza Star Specs in 245/40/17 and 275/35/18 with a decent alignment will make a huge different in grip; far more than any suspension chances. The Star Specs are the fastest street tire currently available, and they aren't very expensive either (you're probably looking at $900 mounted).

Obviously if you were going for a max-effort setup, you'd have the largest tires you could possibly stuff under the car, harder bushings or bearings in the control arms, more camber and toe, stiffer bars, and either coilovers or stiffer leafs.

Get notified of new replies

To Mild Suspension Setup on C5, Help.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 PM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

Lots of good suggestions here.

I always tell my customers that if they have an idea of how they want to use the car, like you mentioned autocrossing, take it to an autocross right of the bat. If you already have some autocross experience you should be able to identify what you would like to change first. If you don’t have any autocross experience, your Corvette will likely be faster than you are for a while, put your money into entry fees for a bit before you start changing anything. Once you have enough driving experience to realize what needs to be dealt with first, try to get an idea of where you want the car to ultimately be, develop a budget, and begin to work towards your goal.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Duplicate a stock C5Z06 set-up. C5Z06 springs, shocks, and sway bar.

Add alignment to taste.

DONE !
Old 04-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
Duplicate a stock C5Z06 set-up. C5Z06 springs, shocks, and sway bar.

Add alignment to taste.

DONE !
The stock Z06 setup is pretty much as good as it gets for an occasional autocross and canyon carver type of application. It is balanced, faster than 99% of all the drivers out there, and streetable as it sits....

If you start mixing and matching parts you are most likely going to end up with something that isn't as fast, doesn't ride as well, and the whole thing is going to cost you a bunch more than if you did the package.

Remember that GM spent a lot of money to get it right, and you are just reinventing the wheel, since what you are describing how you want to use the car is exactly what the stock Z06 was designed for....

Quick Reply: Mild Suspension Setup on C5, Help.