Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 alignment assumptions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:28 AM
tracjunkie914
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default c5 alignment assumptions

aligning c5 (for the track) with the stock hardware and bushings. in the rear, you only have the 1 lower a arm coeccentric, I'm assuming that's the only way to get any neg camber, just crank it out as much as will allow and adjust your tie rods (toe) after? nothing to mess with up top, unless i'm missing something

in front, you are cranking out the bottoms, and to get caster (once your camber is set), you just shim out the front upper control arm mounts (and/or you could move the rear lower a arm adjustment?)

am i on the right track?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:06 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

correct in the rear, however you are half right on the front. By adjusting the front concentrics individually, you rotate the lower ball joint forward/rearward to change the castor. In other words, if the camber was right, but you needed more castor, you would adjust one concentric slightly "in" and the other slightly "out" to keep the ball joint the same distance from the frame, but you would force it to move fore/aft slightly.

You can shim the tops as well, but that requires removing the wheels. An alignment shop would not do that, although we DIYers would.

a few more thoughts

1. Camber plates allow a little more adjustment than the OEM concentrics allow
2. There are companies making offset rear-upper bushings, or if you still need more camber in the rear, that is an option.

Quick Reply: c5 alignment assumptions