Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

autocross type racing and course type racing an automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default autocross type racing and course type racing an automatic?

My friend and I would like to try this, not to the point where the cars are beat into trash but just for fun. His is a 90 6 speed and mines a 90 auto. My question is this a 6 speed conversion in mine is out of the question, so would my automatic hold up fine or would additional cooling be needed? Also my car does have a oil cooler.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by jeffp1167
My friend and I would like to try this, not to the point where the cars are beat into trash but just for fun. His is a 90 6 speed and mines a 90 auto. My question is this a 6 speed conversion in mine is out of the question, so would my automatic hold up fine or would additional cooling be needed? Also my car does have a oil cooler.
Autocross is not that hard on your car anyway, so I wouldn't worray about any additional cooling. I found when I autocrossed my '05 automatic, I had to shift the 4 speed manually. Leaving it in full auto is kind of silly.

Just go out and have fun!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:23 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Datawiz
Autocross is not that hard on your car anyway, so I wouldn't worray about any additional cooling. I found when I autocrossed my '05 automatic, I had to shift the 4 speed manually. Leaving it in full auto is kind of silly.

Just go out and have fun!
are roll bars required to do this or can I just run the car in factory form?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:02 AM
FB#1
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Roll bars are not required in Autocross.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:21 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done a few auto-cross with my 2005 A4. It actually works pretty well. The gearing on the A4 is such that I would start out in 1st, shift to 2nd and then just leave it there. I think redline in 2nd is about 85 mph, so you generally would never have to shift into 3rd.

Have a blast!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 377 Likes on 312 Posts

I added a trans cooler and temp sensor to mine for road course use. I think you'll be OK for some autox but if you go often definitely add a cooler with a fan. I'd rather have a six speed but the auto is doing fine. Some video from the National Corvette Museum event at Road America:

http://vimeo.com/2377766
Old 04-03-2009, 12:37 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Makes left foot braking easier.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

You can get by with the automatic for autocrossing. There are a some people who believe an automatic is an advantage when autocrossing. One person I know autocrosses a 66 Vette with a 2 speed PowerGlide tranny. He is very good with that car. As far as beating on the car it is hard to beat on a car during an autocross unless you are purposely trying to damage it. Autocross is more about driving skill than power.

If you are also talking about running on high speed road courses then the auto becomes a problem. They tend to overheat and they always shift at the wrong time. Even when shifting them manually they still choose their time to shift Vs when you move the shifter.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To autocross type racing and course type racing an automatic?

Quick Reply: autocross type racing and course type racing an automatic?