Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? for those running ARP 2.5" wheel studs on C5/C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 05:16 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Default ? for those running ARP 2.5" wheel studs on C5/C6

I'm getting ready to upgrade my suspension on thje C6Z a bit further including SKF hubs, Pdaty bars, camber kit, etc. Thinking about installing the ARP studs prior to installing the hubs but am having a hard time finding a closed end lugnut to cover them when the factory wheels are installed w/o cutting .25" off the ends of all 20 studs

I did that when I installed the C6Z brakes on my B4C camaro before I sold it and it takes forever with a small compressor and cut off tool.
Attached Images   
Old 04-04-2009, 05:21 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

use open ended lug nuts.

I got some hardened open ended lug nuts from napa.

scratch that you have them.

So the studs stick out a bit, is it that big a deal?
here is my front wheel
Name:  CCW-front.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  52.9 KB
Old 04-04-2009, 05:38 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I am assuming that you are going to track the car --- If so then the high strength studs are a necessity. It is definitely easier to have them pressed in before the new hubs are installed. You have two options on the length of the ARP stud - get the shorter one. As far as visual 1) just let them stick out and don't worry about it. 2) Use a GM truck lug nut with the threads on the outside for the plastic caps. The stealership has plastic caps available in both black and grey. They should screw down with enough to stay on and hide the stud 3) spend forever cutting them off and chasing the stud with a die to fix the threads. Me -- I let them stick out.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:50 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
it takes forever with a small compressor and cut off tool.
Having done it a few times, I found the best (and quite quick) way is to cut the
bulk of the material off with a hacksaw and to then tidy the ends up and chamfer
them with a hand file. In a vise, before installing them. Be sure to leave enough
length for a healthy-sized chamfer.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:16 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
use open ended lug nuts.

I got some hardened open ended lug nuts from napa.

scratch that you have them.

So the studs stick out a bit, is it that big a deal?
here is my front wheel

I used an internal allen lug on the camaro, but I had to start with the 3" ARP stud due to the difference in offset running a C5 Z06 SRR wheel combo and the spacers needed with 295's on the rear ( light as hell BTW)

worked well, but I'm **** and trimmed them to clear the tool when inserted into the lug. a lot of work but it worked/looked good. then I sold the car... but replaced it with a JSB C6Z

My car is true dual purpose. I don't run EVERY weekend or trailor so the car looks close to stock on a daily basis. stock rims w/ PS2s. yet has( will have) coilovers, phatty comp bars, camber kit, cobalt 1 piece pads, coleman/afx rotors, peterson fluid system/ARE dry sump system and ZR1 oil pump and 572/538 at the wheels with the darton resleaved LS7 454 ( soon to be more)

wolf in sheeps clothing kind of thing, so I don't want studs sticking out that far, I'll just buck up with the grind off wheel or bandsaw prior to install into the hubs. at least this time I won't have to pull the axles to change the rears.

Last edited by bowtiguy; 04-04-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:34 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I cut mine down on my lathe, they are a bit too long.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:53 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I cut mine down on my lathe, they are a bit too long.
sounds like a good " upgrade" ..I haven't purchased any ARP studs yet..hint hint
Old 04-05-2009, 08:20 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I am not sure what the hint is, but we do offer the new SKF bearings with the longer studs pre-installed. Cutting them down on the lathe does a nice clean job, way better than a "wheel of death" but still is somewhat a PINA.
Name:  Rearrotor1-1.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  88.0 KB

Last edited by ghoffman; 04-05-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:02 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I am not sure what the hint is, but we do offer the new SKF bearings with the longer studs pre-installed. Cutting them down on the lathe does a nice clean job, way better than a "wheel of death" but still is somewhat a PINA.

PM sent.

Get notified of new replies

To ? for those running ARP 2.5" wheel studs on C5/C6

Quick Reply: ? for those running ARP 2.5" wheel studs on C5/C6