Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A month worth of work... dialup death

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:19 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Default A month worth of work... dialup death

Thanks to the Navy I was able to get a couple of weeks back home in Cincinnati for the first time in a LONG time. While I was there, my father and I did some work to the track car getting it ready to finally hit the track. I'm signed up to run at Summit Point in Mid-May and can't wait! In the mean time it is more fun than I ever imagined to have a car like this to tinker with. Thanks to the many of you on here who have answered my ridiculous questions time after time.

Some of the things I did were:

-Installed new Kirkey seats and I/O Port seat back braces with home designed brackets on the seats (machined to perfection as a favor by a friend of my father's). The brackets allow the seat to be low enough to fit comfortably with a helmet and still use the factory mounting locations.

-Installed a new Canton oil cooler (20,500 btu)

-Re-did the ignition system from the ground up after having more problems with it than I care to remember. I'll just say that I am not at all a fan of MSD tech support or customer service. I finally ended up with a Digital-7 box and a Pro Power HVC coil. Made a new bracket and moved the coil farther from the heat to the opening where the battery originally was. It might be a bit of overkill, but a friend gave me a smoking deal on the box after he used it for a grand total of 3 passes at the drag strip.

-Painted the entire interior, installed aluminum panels to cover rear cargo compartments, seat control, radio, and A/C openings, heat shielding on trans tunnel, new heel/toe gas pedal.

-Fixed the front ground effects after they took a pretty good beating in previous track sessions (I'm sure I'll rip them up again shortly)

...and most importantly put the punisher skulls on the pillars just in case it didn't look mean before. Jeff, if you look closely the "Corvettes Anonymous" sticker is now on the rear window behind the number.

Brackets being test fit to the seats.

Ignition stuff...

Interior...
Before:

After:

And Finally...

The rig that made it the length of the WVA turnpike like a champ/ Was hoping to get the trailer painted, but ran out of time.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 04-04-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:08 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Looking good. Is that event at Summit with TrackDaze? If so...see you there.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:26 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by argonaut
Looking good. Is that event at Summit with TrackDaze? If so...see you there.
Sure is!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-05-2009, 10:58 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Very nice clean install !! Those brackets look much better than some of the ones currently marketed for race seats. Maybe you should consider selling sets to other members ?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:49 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Very nice clean install !! Those brackets look much better than some of the ones currently marketed for race seats. Maybe you should consider selling sets to other members ?
I have actually thought about it and talked it over with my father since it was a combined effort. I'm just wondering how big the market is for a C4 seat mount? Granted the reason that I went to home design route was that there was NOTHING available at any sort of reasonable price. I don't mean to offend any vendors so I won't call them out by name but the mounts that everybody on here recommends are simple machined aluminum seat mounts that cost upwards of $700-$800 a pair. That is absolutely absurd.

Of course it wouldn't be too difficult to expand to fit a C5/6 as well. I honestly don't even know if there is a difference. hmmmmmm.....

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 04-05-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:27 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Figured I'd post this in addition... There was a lot more work than it may look like in the design of those brackets. I originally bought a set of name brand mounts to use. Again, I won't specify since many on here recommended them to me. The second I looked at them I cringed. The engineer in me said there is no way that I am mounting my seats on something like that. The process of creating new ones began and after about a dozen iterations we settled on a design. They were designed to fit any width seat, mounted at any (reasonable) lean angle, and still use the stock studs. We ran quite a few structural analysis on them for different loads and impact conditions and I am very confident that they are much stronger than any other design that I saw. They are single piece 6061 aluminum so they are light as well. Here is a generic example of one of the tests we did... I'm just posting it because these always look cool.

Get notified of new replies

To A month worth of work... dialup death

Quick Reply: A month worth of work... dialup death