Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering woes - C5Z.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I'm hoping I can convince the extended warranty company to let me put on the T1 pump if it needs replacing.
Are you serious?

If they say yes, please post the name of the warr company.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PS pump and system is a bit of a weak spot on the C5Z. It's a compromise system, designed to allow easy turning in parking lots, and also good feel at high speed.

My pump failed, and the symptoms were the same as sperkins. In addition, I was regularly overheating the fluid. When the bypass valve is active, the pump just spins in the fluid, causing it to cavitate and boil. It also generate heat. That happens at high RPM.

I installed a Turn One pump, after extensive conversations with the folks there. No issues now. I got lucky and didn't have to pull the rack. The pumps are cheap for what they do, and actually add a little horsepower, since turning the pump and causing all that cavitation is robbing your engine a little.

I highly encourage anyone that races their C5 to look into these things. It's one issue that will end your race day fast if you can't fix it on the spot.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:20 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

.... Jeff - do you think this was related somehow to the larger tire? I was running old scrub R6's if that makes a difference.

no
Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I wish I would have know to change mine while I had the engine out. It is quite a pain getting to the bolt behind the pulley. I hope that is all you have to change and not the whole rack.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:42 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I unloaded the car, parked it on the lift and haven't even been back in the shop since then. I'll hopefully check it out tonight or tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Some additional how-to information on changing the pump in this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...installed.html
Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I had chronic P/S problems my C4. I had a hose blow, started a fire with the fluid on the headers (now I have a Halon fire extinguisher in all my cars)!, had the fluid boil out of the reservoir, and finally stopped when it got the proper factory P/S cooler.
With the C5Z, and now the C6Z, the factory cooler has been fine. The C5Z has never had a problem, and indeed Roy Benedetti has the C5Z now and got 3rd at Buttonwillow yesterday at an SCCA National. This is swinging new Hoosier A6's and running Royal Purple fluid with the factory p/s cooler. I have 35+ track days on the C6Z with no issues on Hoosier R6's. The point is, if you don't have the cooler, get it, if you do and still have problems make sure the basics are good before you get an aftermarket solution.
I sure hope the C5Z comes with the cooler stock. I blew a pump on the C4 just with auto-x and street tires. I imagine short-shifting and street tires should help make the pump last.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:24 AM
bssofro
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone make a "manual" rack for the C5???

Getting away from a PS pump would be beneficial from a HP and reliability standpoint.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My P/S pumps wines after a sessions but nothing too bad. What brand of fluid is everyone running
Old 04-08-2009, 10:32 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PA Z06
What brand of fluid is everyone running
Old 04-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Mine started whining badly and I added Redline PS fluid. That fixed it up so far. This is on my old stock C4 pump, but with street tires. I keep thinking it will fail but it's hung in there. I also added under drive pulleys last season. That helped as well. I use a baster to suck out the old fluid every two years.

I've also been thinking of moving the reservoir away from the engine and radiator heat. Mine has no cooler.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Never had a problem. Car has been a track car almost all its life. Guess I'll at least change the fluid and poke around a little.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:12 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jason
....poke around a little.
I thought you always do that on track, you know the ZO6cool method of driving.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:40 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on the turn one pump, rebuilt rack, and aftermarket cooler as well.

The cooler makes a big difference, especially on my C5 which did not have even the small cooler stock on the Z06. It was also very easy to install.

I'm only running a two row cooler for my PS. In hindsight I wish I had gone bigger.

Get a cooler as big as your oil cooler, mount it next to your oil cooler in front of your radiator, and have at it. I suspect you'll be in good shape even with a stock pump.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by varkwso
I thought you always do that on track, you know the ZO6cool method of driving.
We're all going to look like we're poking around @ CMP. Heard a rumor a new hot-shoe had signed up for TTA.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

I unloaded the car, parked it on the lift and haven't even been back in the shop since then. I'll hopefully check it out tonight or tomorrow.
Well I finally got around to driving the car today. All is perfectly fine until I get it up to temperature and drive into long sweeping turns. If it were for street use only, I would probably never experience the problem. I've never seen anything like this. Usually a pump craps out and it's done, but this is weird. I guess it has to do with the bypass valve and interal pressures once it gets heat in it?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:36 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jason
We're all going to look like we're poking around @ CMP. Heard a rumor a new hot-shoe had signed up for TTA.
Really - makes me want to buy a set of new Hoosiers and keep him honest...

Scott - track events bring out all the weaknesses in the car, and the driver...

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering woes - C5Z.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Are you serious?

If they say yes, please post the name of the warr company.

More importantly get a friendly repair shop. If warranty firm says "no" to upgraded parts, the shop can still do it and simply have you pay the difference. Have done that with other warranty work.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:29 AM
carlspeed
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

thread revival!!!!

Sperkins, what did you do to resolve your issue? I'm running a square set up of 305's, and after one autocross run my PS is pretty much done, and starts whining pretty bad. Has a tiny bit of power steering, but it's pretty tough to turn the wheels if you're not moving. Would a fluid flush work or am I going to be forced to get a Turn 1?
Old 08-21-2016, 10:03 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Carl,

Scott can chime in, but I'll give you my .02 worth. You should go ahead and upgrade to the Turn 1 pump. Anything else is just a bandaid until the pump really goes south on you. Quite a few of us have learned the hard way. And go ahead and pony up for the billet pulley to make reinstallation a no-hassle situation. Worth every penny of the $80 upgrade.

I'll also make another upgrade suggestion. The standard pumps are built to 1500psi. I have learned with full aero and sticky 315s, the pump really needs to be at 1800psi. It is another option you can choose and I don't remember if there is a surcharge or not.

Quick Reply: Power Steering woes - C5Z.