Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting brake dust off wheels - how?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Getting brake dust off wheels - how?

Not sure if it was the rain or the new PFC pads, but I cannot get the caked up crap off my wheels. I worked an hour on each of the front wheels trying to get it off. I used Dupont wheel cleaner, Goo-Be-Gone, Purple power and fine steel wool. I will try a plastic knife tonite. Is this a PFC pad issue or just what happens when using them in the rain. First time for me in the rain and with PFC pads. I had my Carbotech on the rear, but no problems. I really liked the PFC pads for what little I got to use them and would like to get another set while they are on sale, but if they are going to ruin my wheels, maybe not.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:26 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Some pads will give off dust that will "cake" on if it's not removed right away. Hawk HP+ pads are like that if the dust gets wet and then dries before you clean the wheels. What PFC pads do you have?

You might try some non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner or acetone. It would be best to remove the wheel from the car and clean them. You might want to use rubber gloves with the acetone.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I had my Carbotech on the rear, but no problems. Sorry to hear this your best bet is to take the wheel off the car and try some brake cleaner or somthing that is vary abrasive.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:33 AM
WONIT84
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PFC pads, brake dust and rain are a tough combination. I had the same problem. I had to have the wheels professionally refinished. I now have a second set of wheels for the track and plan to swap out the PFC's for street driving.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:52 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
I had my Carbotech on the rear, but no problems. Sorry to hear this your best bet is to take the wheel off the car and try some brake cleaner or somthing that is vary abrasive.
The $120 I saved on the pads may end up costing even more if I have to repl the wheels. I think I might have removed some of the clear coat with the steel wool(apparently not fine enough). PFC was running a closeout special on their 99 pads so I saw no harm in trying them out. I had plenty of pad left on the XP12s. Live and learn.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:53 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A tooth brush or the rough side of a kitchen sponge usually gets it for me. The worst I ever had was some pitting from some Hawk Blacks that I was stupid enough to leave on the RX7 through the winter in Ottawa -- yeah, had to drag the brakes the first block or two to have any, too...
Old 04-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by waddisme
The $120 I saved on the pads may end up costing even more if I have to repl the wheels. I think I might have removed some of the clear coat with the steel wool(apparently not fine enough). PFC was running a closeout special on their 99 pads so I saw no harm in trying them out. I had plenty of pad left on the XP12s. Live and learn.
Thats why we say 100% non crossive dust. I fell for you though, sorry.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even the Stock Z06 pad leaves stuff on that is hard to get off if you leave it there for a while. The best thing to do is to have an extra set of wheels for the front. I decided cleaning wheels after tracking the car is not worth my time.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:39 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Try an old toothbrush

Old 04-06-2009, 12:51 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Hose them off.

Spay on Armer All Aluminum wheel cleaner

wipe with wet rag

Hose off

Done
Old 04-06-2009, 01:48 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I did the toothbrush, worked about 90%. I will try the Armour All tonite. Thanks guys.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Before your next event, put a heavy coat of wax on them, but don't wipe it off.

Or get track wheels.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:38 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It had never been an issue in the past, but the wax thing seems like a good idea next time they call for RAIN!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 AM
gintama
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the good racing pad do this if left wet overnight: PFC, Hawk etc. Carbotech Adam might be right on this one.

Try a plastic disposable putty knife sold at hardware stores with a bug and tar remover. A plastic pad with plastic mesh used for cleaning kitchen utensils is also less abrasive than steel wool. (Not the sandpaper type) I like to keep my racing wheels clean too.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Guys that is too much work.

High pressure hose, or power washer will blast most of that crud off.

then Spay liberally with Armour All aluminum wheel cleaner and let it sit for a few minutes Take a wet rag and wipe the wheels, and hose off again.

This works very very well.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Guys that is too much work.

High pressure hose, or power washer will blast most of that crud off.

then Spay liberally with Armour All aluminum wheel cleaner and let it sit for a few minutes Take a wet rag and wipe the wheels, and hose off again.

This works very very well.
Got my Armour All last nite and a small plastic knife. Didn't think about using my pressure washer. Sounds like a good idea. Had to watch Carolina game so I will hit it tonite!

I may have to agree with gintama that it is more of a rain issue. The XP10s I have on the rear have also crudded (?) up in the corners, just not as bad, but they usually don't dust like the fronts either. Next time they call for rain, I am doing the wax thing and rinsing on the way home.

Big thanks.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I have semi-permanent pad/rotor material on my wheels from using Hawk Blue pads years ago.

I have tried clay bar, oven cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner, CLR, Scotch Brite pads and rubbing compound. I have managed to get a lot off, but some still remains in the hard to reach corners.

I have since switched to Carbotech. The XP12 pads are the worst of the Carbotech pads, BUT it still washes off with soapy water. If the wheels get wet/damp and set for a few days you have to rub a bit harder with soapy water, but it always comes off. I don't think I will ever run anything but Carbotech.

I tried some DTC-70 pads last fall. Clean-up didn't seem too bad, but I cracked the inside surface of one front rotors at Road America. Really good pads, but $$$. Jury is still out on if I like them or not. I have never cracked the inside o a rotor before. It is always the outside where you can see it on the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting brake dust off wheels - how?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Hose them off.

Spay on Armer All Aluminum wheel cleaner

wipe with wet rag

Hose off

Done
Does that work on painted aluminum wheels?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
Does that work on painted aluminum wheels?
It Should.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:48 PM
J.Yo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try oven cleaner. I haven't used it myself, but I read somewhere that it works on taking off the tough caked on brake dust. If you do try the oven cleaner, try it on a really small spot on the inside of the wheel (where the brake dust build up is probably far worse than the outside of the wheel) and let us know if it truly works.

I had the same problem as you many years ago and ended up screwing up the finish on a set of wheels. I ended up scraping the wheel with wheel cleaner and a credit card for hours. I swore I would never to that again.

If you think you're wheels are bad...run your hand along the side of your car, and on the rear bumper. It will feel like fine grit sand paper. Luckily my clay bar was able to take the deposits off the painted surfaces on the car body.

I switched to Carbotech for numerous reasons, one of which is that the brake dust is easy to wash off the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting brake dust off wheels - how?