Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA HPDE vs. Chin HPDE

Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASA HPDE vs. Chin HPDE

I'm wanting to get some more track time at my closest track and would like to know how the NASA events compare to the Chin events.

It seems NASA will have many more groups going + time trials, therefore maybe less time for the beginner groups.

Can somebody tell me if NASA is worth it?

Ken . . .
Old 04-06-2009, 01:53 PM
earthman01
Instructor

For HPDE Chin (CMS) is far superior to NASA. At a NASA event you may get 4 or 5 sessions of 15 to 20 minutes each. In my experience the NASA racing events take priority over the HPDE time slots. At most CMS events you will get 4 hours of track time and in some cases there will be 6 hours available if you and your car can take it. Go with CMS every time.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

The Chin at RA last year had a 1 hr open session at the end of the day. I haven't done a NASA yet, but may try to do the RA in June. I haven't done the NASA because of the past stories of being crowded and not as much track time, but in this economy, I am thinking it may not be as crowded. I have signed up for the Lowes HPDE in July with NASA.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:25 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Many times ppl think they want hours and hours of track time.

Heck even with four 25 min sessions per day for two days you get very tired.

NASA is a great organization. Many ppl run NASA as they want to get into TT or W2W racing.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:26 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by earthman01
For HPDE Chin (CMS) is far superior to NASA. At a NASA event you may get 4 or 5 sessions of 15 to 20 minutes each. In my experience the NASA racing events take priority over the HPDE time slots. At most CMS events you will get 4 hours of track time and in some cases there will be 6 hours available if you and your car can take it. Go with CMS every time.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

NASA is a great organization. Many ppl run NASA as they want to get into TT or W2W racing.
I must either be in horrible shape or drive so poorly I'm working too hard. 4 sessions a day usually kicks my butt.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I always look for your posts. I totally know what the other guys mean and must admit when Chin lets me do both green and blue sessions, I simply can't keep up. Back to Back 30 minute sessions are very tiring (I need some seats!). 5 sessions would be a decent day. But if they are only 15 minutes, what is that 4 or 5 laps. That might be a bit short for a session. Can anybody chime in on how many laps per session? I'm new, but don't usually hold anybody up in my groups.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Are talking about coming out to Rd Atl?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:51 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jason
Are talking about coming out to Rd Atl?
Yep, signing up for Chin tonight for Jun1. Have my finger hovering over the pay now button for NASA two weeks later. June would be a great month.

http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2009Jun12.jsp
Old 04-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

The crowd at RA never bothered me. It's crowded with race cars and race car drivers, so to me just being in the paddock in my little TT car with them is a thrill.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:06 PM
wmk32
Instructor

It's worth it to get extra track days but you'll certainly be disappointed with how much less track time you will get. Fortunately you'll be paying much less in registration fees.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:21 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Just because you CAN run hours and hours or multiple sessions per day, should you?

when you get tired your reflexes get slow, plus dehydration and greater likelihood of mistakes and offs. One can never drink enough water during the day. So don't let your driving interfere with your drinking.

Plus, all that run time, and no down time to bleed brakes and check your car out, check your tires, is NOT a good thing.

Something skipping a session mid day on the second day is OK. as by the end of the second day, many ppl are packed up and heading home. That means OPEN track
Old 04-06-2009, 04:29 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Chin is a bit more money...

for a LOT more track time.

Usually have a better mix of exotic high performance cars @ Chin,

and experienced drivers.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:08 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,727 Likes on 782 Posts

At my last NASA event, we had 3 20-minute sessions per day. For many folks, this is plenty. Judge your capabilities, and your car's capabilities, accordingly. One thing about the NASA events; it's fun to watch the races between DE sessions!

That said, I enjoy the Chin format, and have spent many weekends with them and a couple other clubs doing 4-5 hours per weekend. It requires more car maintenance between rounds, and you have to be in-shape and in-tune with your car. Watch out for heat and fatigue (driver). With Chin's 1-hour session at the end of the day, I do 20 minutes, break for 20, and do 20 more. You'll incur much more tire wear and brake wear as well. Unfortunately Chin's prices have gone way up, so factoring in the consumable parts wear, Chin can make for an expensive weekend.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:34 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

This isn't a factor for most of you guys, but I don't have a trailer. If I break at road atlanta, I'm within 100 miles (AAA) of Vengeance or my house. I think I could just go, all by myself and not have to involve anybody else . But then there are the tires , I need at least one other in my Explorer . Anybody drive 1 hour on V710's, or pull a tire trailer with their vette? Anybody live in my area and got room for tires? I would be more than willing to buy dinner. Am I groveling? Am I addicted or what?

I'm working on the 3car Garage/ Acreage / Trailer mod.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:41 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kwhiteside

I'm working on the 3car Garage/ Acreage / Trailer mod.
New House Hunters TV show.

What MEN NEED in a house.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

You also have to factor in other things like hot pulls. I know at least with NASA-MA, they do hot pulls. Which means if someone stuffed it into a tirewall or broke, your session isnt over. Obviously there are exceptions if something serious has happened, but most cases it is a local yellow and you keep on your merry way.

Dunno if Chin does something similar or if NASA-SE even does, but I do know NASA-MA runs like clockwork.

Get notified of new replies

To NASA HPDE vs. Chin HPDE

Old 04-06-2009, 05:56 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

There are many clubs to chose from. With either, Chin, NASA-SE or NASA-MA there are always some forum members to hang with.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

there are always some forum members to hang with.
There are a lot of ho's around here.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:24 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I live near stone Mtn and tow a little HF trailer with my track tires and tools to RA, VIR, CMP, Summit Point, etc.

NASA-SE is a great group to run with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NASA HPDE vs. Chin HPDE