Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Plan C for oil cooler!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:09 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Help with Plan C for oil cooler!

Even though it was raining at VIR, I did get a couple of laps in at almost full speed. While pushing the car to 6700 rpms and running pretty hard down the backstretch, after 2 laps, oil temps were at 292*. I have the 11" B&M supercooler, which is the same size as the Lingerfelterer. Now what? Cooler is mounted on the right side facing of the ac condensor like everyone else's and I am using the Lingenfleter block adapter with -10 AN lines. The good news is nothing with the oil cooler leaked. Also, my coolant got up to 230* and that is with a DeWitts. Is this an airflow issue. My rad is laid back from sc days. I have a custom shroud that pretty much seals the top. Any suggestions? Here is a couple of pics of my set up:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking it has to be airflow. 230 water temp seems high to me after two laps with a Dewitts. How much effort to put the radiator back up and install the stock shroud?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:46 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
I have a custom shroud that pretty much seals the top.
Can you explain this? Assuming that you have the air deflector that directs air from under the nose into the air filter/radiator cavity, then it sounds to me like the cavity really isn't sealed well and air is bypassing your oil cooler. Your picture has the top of the cavity completely open. I presume this is because your custom shroud has been removed for the purposes of taking pictures.

Either air is bypassing the cooler or oil really isn't reaching the cooler.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:47 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I kind of agree, except back in Dec, when oil temps were 299*, coolant never got above 213*. All I have done is added oil cooler and installed the shroud.

Original rad supports were cut when rad was moved, so it would probably need a new cage ($297), hoses (no big deal). Maybe that is the route to persue.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Your water temps may be up since Dec because now you've added another thing to stop airflow flow from wanting to go through half the radiator. The oil cooler will create extra blockage and make the flow want to find another escape route.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:16 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Just making sure.... you uninstalled your SC and now are running the 402? See Pics and Signature and note how packed my SC system is and the highest water temps I get on a 75 deg day a few weeks ago at Texas World Speedway were low 190's. Granted in the straights I used a little methanol with boost but just for a few seconds and that was just at the end of the day when I felt confident enough in 4th to mash it a little with no wheelspin.

I had high temps too after a broken belt and shutting down at the end of a 1/4 mile run, the temp pegged to the right. so after the reinstall of the belt I hit 238 degrees just driving away from the shop. went back to shop waited a while, opened the rad overflow tank, lots of steam came out added water, drove away, temps still too high, using gloves I burped the big hose on top, did that 3 different more times, its fixed now. You may have air in the system......Hope this helped

Link to other pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/drivinf...7615624870558/

I'm in Houston and it gets below freezing a few days out of the year so I only use water wetter with a little antifreeze, I probably dont even need that.

intercooler on right with rad behind and air filter on left
Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

was that car wrecked up front? looks like a new front face rail??
Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the problem you're seeing now is a result of that little oil cooler you installed blocking 'that much' airflow to the rad. You have another issue somewhere I suspect.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:54 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

All I have changed since Dec is the oil cooler and added a shroud. I vacuumed the condensor and there is no crap between it and the rad. Kind of lost. I was really surprised and both the oil and coolant temps. Thinking of doing the "fresh air mod" and moving cooler there like the Pfady set up. This diy stuff is starting to wear on me. It is like diy, stuggle with every litte detail and then take somewhere and pay them to finish. Anyway the B&M cooler just isn't cutting it?

Last edited by waddisme; 04-08-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:44 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Damn man I can't believe that thing is still fighting you. Are you 100% sure the Thermostat (oil) is installed correctly and actually working? If it isn't you would definately see those oil temps. I have a very similar B&M cooler and it works perfectly. I seriously doubt the cooler is to blame.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Steve Doten
was that car wrecked up front? looks like a new front face rail??

If you are talking about my car, no wreck, i just scrape the air dam a lot and of course the intercooler is bolted to the frame, kinda giving it a "used" look. I could paint those brackets red...good idea, thanks..
Old 04-08-2009, 06:27 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sperkins
Damn man I can't believe that thing is still fighting you. Are you 100% sure the Thermostat (oil) is installed correctly and actually working? If it isn't you would definately see those oil temps. I have a very similar B&M cooler and it works perfectly. I seriously doubt the cooler is to blame.
Actually, I haven't installed the tstat* as I didn't think I would need it during the summer. I guess I can rule out the cooler. Just must be too much stuff up front and not enough air flow for all of it. The Halltech takes up a lot of space. I may try the fresh air mod. I don't have a track day until June 1st at RA.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:12 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't see a shroud in the pics you posted above. Since you're going back close to stock, I would try to find an OE shroud to help direct the flow into the radiator. It can only help.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Plan C for oil cooler!

Quick Reply: Help with Plan C for oil cooler!