Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM & Segway team up

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default GM & Segway team up

The new GM?

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/904079997

General Motors reveals two-wheel PUMA electric-vehicle prototype
By GREG MIGLIORE
GM developed the Personal Urban Mobility and Accessibility concept in a joint project with Segway.

A picture of GM developed the Personal Urban Mobility and Accessibility concept in a joint project with Segway.

GM developed the Personal Urban Mobility and Accessibility concept in a joint project with Segway.

GM PUMA electric vehicle

It’s based on the same driving principles as a skateboard. It looks like a phone booth, or perhaps a baby stroller. But despite the unconventional nature of this vehicle, General Motors says a two-seat, two-wheel ride called PUMA could be a solution to loosen congestion in crowded urban areas.

The acronym stands for Personal Urban Mobility and Accessibility, and on Tuesday GM is announcing a partnership with small vehicle company Segway to develop the diminutive rides. A prototype is also expected to be demonstrated in New York.

PUMA vehicles employ existing technologies, including a lithium-ion battery, dual electric wheel motors and connectivity with other vehicles and infrastructure. They can travel at speeds of 35 mph and have a range of 35 miles between charges. In addition to big cities, they could be used in parks, college campuses, amusement parks, resorts and other areas where short distances are usually traveled.

GM says the prototype in New York is operational, and expects a next-generation model to appear later this year. In early 2010, a complete concept could be unveiled. The rides look like golf carts, though executives say catchy design could be part of a production version if the project continues.

It’s based on the premise that many cars are “over-engineered” for some driving situations. A Cadillac Escalade, for example, is probably unnecessary to drive a few blocks in Manhattan, where research says the average speed was 18.8 miles per hour and three-quarters of the population doesn’t own a car, according to research cited by GM, which has been working with Segway for about 18 months on the project.

“It’s not replacing vehicles as we know them--it’s complementing them in an urban environment,” said Chris Borroni-Bird, director of advance technology vehicle concepts for GM.

The PUMAs would be a tradeoff in features--the two passengers sit snugly side-by-side, but could prove to be a money saver. The cost could be one-quarter to one-third of owning a conventional midsize vehicle, GM says. Because they’re small, ease of parking would also be a key selling point, as up to 30-40 percent of fuel is believed to be consumed looking for parking in urban areas.

Still, the project is a bit fanciful, as GM envisions a potential layout where cars interact using an onboard transponder and can brake and accelerate through intersections to avoid accidents and pedestrians. Though GM based much of its research on New York City, the PUMA vehicles could launch overseas first. Domestically, the program could help bolster the automaker’s green credentials.

“The [auto] Task Force is looking for us to show a vision of the future, and I think this could be a part of it,” Borroni-Bird said.

To read more visit the AutoWeek New car news, road tests, blogs, pix and expert insight section.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

At two dollars a gallon, I don't see this being very popular. Maybe in the big city.

Randy
Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new Barak GT from Government Motors
Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

a condition of accepting Government bailout monies. And they said the General didn't build anything the people wanted to buy. Wait til the Al Gore's of the world get done with them.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:32 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

No wonder they're broke. I think a better green idea would be mini ponies to take for a few blocks. Lower initial start up cost, create jobs; hay delivery, pony watchers and waterers and poop scoopers. And no adverse effects to the environment except for the gases emitted by the ponies.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:41 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
At two dollars a gallon, I don't see this being very popular. Maybe in the big city.

Randy
I bet it will be in a liberal bed like San Fran!!!

Seriously, the PR alone from this would be great for GM. In terms of finances, it was probably dreamed up in the last couple of years with gas over $3/gal so it made more sense. If the price is right, I still think it could catch on even in Suburbia. I started to see a few mopeds here last Summer and the local moped dealer was sold out. There are lots of people putting around locally on the weekends.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:13 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

oh my ing stock

Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

How stupid was that...

Doesn't anybody left at GM remember anything about stability???

Sad to see them wasting money on what was a dumb concept (the Segway) in the first place. I guess there isn't any hope for them after all.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:27 AM
0EPP
Former Vendor

It certainly doesn't give us much room to fit an LS engine! Bob
Old 04-10-2009, 08:19 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

They are made here in Bedford, NH. I stilll think it is a POS, you would be VERY hard pressed to get from the Segway facility to my house in it, and Bedford is a small town. That is assuming that you did not get kiled first by cars and trucks. Google maps says it is 9 miles, but most of the roads it recommends are either 50MPH or 55 MPH zones. In addition, just getting up and down my driveway in the Winter is not fun for my wife's CTS with Bridgestone Blizzaks much less that thing. I just don't understand what good it is, unless you are inside a huge UPS wherehouse or similar.

Last edited by ghoffman; 04-10-2009 at 08:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To GM & Segway team up

Quick Reply: GM & Segway team up