Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autoxing in Iraq

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:15 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Autoxing in Iraq

Autocross held every every first Friday of the month in Baghdad!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7987238.stm

http://sccaforums.com/forums/356152/...ad.aspx#356152
Old 04-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Autocross is not so much of a spectator sport in the states.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:50 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Fantastic !!! That an event of this type could even take place in that country is amazing !!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know where you find some of this stuff - but it was great to see those guys having a great time, when there isnt much news from the middle east that is ever positive. thanks.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Wow... to bad I am in northern Iraq and not Baghdad...
Old 04-10-2009, 08:31 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbara_S
there isnt much news from the middle east that is ever positive.
I don't mean to move this thread in the wrong direction, but the very simple truth is that the media doesn't show anything positive because it doesn't sell. There are awesome things happening in that part of the world every day, but the only thing you hear about on the news is IEDs. Git Er Dun: Keep your head down out there :-)

Take a trip to Dubai or Bahrain and you'll see more Ferraris, Lambos, and god knows what else than you have ever seen before. Although the awesome part is that over there Vettes are RARE. I've seen a base C5 coupe treated with rockstar parking when there was a "normal car" lot full of Italian power.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Thank you. Yeah there are small improvements being made every day in Iraq but you never hear about them. This country has come a long way from what it was but still has more work to do. It will be interesting to see what happens over here in the next few years.

As far as Dubai...that place sounds amazing. I have read many articles on it and it's very cool how fast they are growing and the unique car culture that has developed there. I took a picture of a picture that was in a store of the store's owner with his 97 Coupe that is located in the most Northern city of Iraq right on the Turkish border. I was impressed when I saw some of the cars in that video. Most Iraqis don't drive very nice cars but there are a few exceptions. In certain areas(Kurdish areas) there are a lot newer cars usually. One city in Northern Iraq is all Kurdish people and has never had an attack inside the city the entire war. They have 5 star hotels, nice apartments, skyscrapers, new car and truck dealerships, a giant Eagle statue/fountain, night clubs, and even a go kart track. The go kart track is so impressive that the first time I saw it I thought it was an airport because it had a control tower like an airplane control tower would look like and an armed guard at the stone gate for the parking lot. I have pictures on my computer of the track. Last time I was up there they had torn up the old track and were putting in a new layout. The nicest cars I have seen in Iraq were in that city. Keep in mind this is by Iraq standard where most the cars are 80's or early 90's opels or something with dents all over them. I saw a 300C, Jeep Grand Cherokee, 05+ Avalanche, 07+ Suburban, a H3 Hummer, and 2 H2 Hummers. There was also a lot of nicer BMW's there. Keep in mind that this is WAY nicer than everywhere else in Iraq normally. Heck one time going down the main highway was a guy driving a car that had a crushed in roof on the passenger side from rolling the car over haha.

Hopefully the car scene continues to improve down in the Baghdad area and they have more fun autocrossing. -Eric
Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a website selling the Baghdad Autosport Club vests???
Old 04-13-2009, 06:36 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbara_S
I don't know where you find some of this stuff - but it was great to see those guys having a great time, when there isnt much news from the middle east that is ever positive. thanks.
Search for my news articles from Afghanistan in PR&C.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Search for my news articles from Afghanistan in PR&C.
will try. Thanks to you and Eric for adding something interesting about the area.

With respect and thanks,

Barbara

Get notified of new replies

To Autoxing in Iraq

Quick Reply: Autoxing in Iraq