Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx oil sender/cooler adaptor question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:16 AM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default LSx oil sender/cooler adaptor question

I've typically tried to keep my oil temps on track from exceeding 260F. However, I didn't realize my oil temperature sender (mounted on a Lingenfelter junction block) was located before the oil cooler:

Does anyone make a -10 adapter that positions the oil temperature sender after the cooler? I really want to get a reading of the oil temperature as it enters the engine.

Edit: I'm not remembering what sort of (NPT?) threads the oil temperature sender has, but I wonder if its possible to add a 'T' into the line coming back from the cooler? I'm guessing that probably won't clear the engine block, though.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by GrantB; 04-12-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:47 PM
imp zog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To quickly answer your question, yes, you should be able to find a T-adapter for the temp sensor from one of the fitting manufacturers (Aeroquip, Earl's, etc), I have a -10 T in my system just off the Lingenfelter block (after-cooler line) for my accusump, so I can't see why you couldn't put a temp sensor in there. Just make sure that the oil sensor doesn't jut out in the oil path and obstruct/restrict the pipeline at all, you want it to be in close proximity to the flow but not in it. They sell pressure sensor T's that might fit the stock temp sensor, but you would want to measure how deep the sensor would sit in those.

I'm a little confused as to why you want to know the after-cooler temp *instead* of the just-outta-the-engine temp? Pre-cooler is the one you really need to know to make sure you aren't frying your oil, so I would recommend adding a second temp sensor if you also want to see the after-cooler temp, rather than relocating the one on the adapter block.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:11 PM
GrantB
Racer

Originally Posted by imp zog
I'm a little confused as to why you want to know the after-cooler temp *instead* of the just-outta-the-engine temp? Pre-cooler is the one you really need to know to make sure you aren't frying your oil, so I would recommend adding a second temp sensor if you also want to see the after-cooler temp, rather than relocating the one on the adapter block.
I thought the oil's path was something like:
pan->pump->oil filter->temperature sender->oil cooler->engine?

Are you saying its fed into the engine bearings before the filter, temperature sender and oil cooler?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 PM
imp zog
Racer

Not to sure of the internal route the oil takes, but a stock engine's oil temp sensor is located on the exact spot where you have attached the Lingenfelter adapter (at least it is on my LS6), so presumably that is the best place to be taking the oil temp, as engineered by GM. Your statement above said that the temperature was being tested before the cooler, which is essentially where it would be taken if you weren't using the adapter/cooler assembly. If you put it after the cooler (ie: downstream of the oil flow), you will be testing the cooled oil temperature. That in itself is useful information for knowing how well your cooling is working, but not without knowing how hot the oil is before you cool it.

Edit: in this I am only looking at: oil comes out of engine -> "engine oil temp" is sensed -> oil is directed thru cooler -> oil comes back into engine, hopefully substantially reduced in temperature.

Last edited by imp zog; 04-14-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:14 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Subscribing
Old 04-15-2009, 02:17 AM
GrantB
Racer

Originally Posted by imp zog
Not to sure of the internal route the oil takes, but a stock engine's oil temp sensor is located on the exact spot where you have attached the Lingenfelter adapter (at least it is on my LS6), so presumably that is the best place to be taking the oil temp, as engineered by GM.
No arguments here, but GM did not build the car with a cooler.

I believe most all motors pass oil through the filter before it goes on into any of the important stuff (i.e., the internal bearings). I'd like to know the temperature of this oil. I'll try a T-fitting if I can't find a junction block that works (I prefer to keep the number of fittings and possible failure points to a minimum).

Alternatively, it would help to know what the temperature drop across a decent cooler is, if anyone has measured it. The effect could be insignificant at higher RPMs. However, I know SRT-10s have their temperature sender after the (water/oil) cooler and before the oil enters the engine. Their guage reads much lower oil temperatures, and their stock cooler doesn't appear to be very large to me.

Last edited by GrantB; 04-15-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 AM
imp zog
Racer

They put one in the C6 Z06, but I would argue that now the oil barely gets up to operating temp with everyday driving, at least for me up here in Canada, especially on these chilly mornings... I think it would probably be blasphemy to put a quilted rad blanket over the grill like I do my truck though, I'd probably get smited (smote? smoted?) by a bolt of lightning or something...

I agree, it would be useful to know what your cooling efficiency is, if I didn't have the accusump plumbed in there I probably would have added a second sensor and gauge for it. I do not know of any other ports on the motor for adding a temp sensor though, maybe someone else out there has made some mods?

Edit: I didn't answer the part about the sensor thread sizing because I'm still not sure what that is. The Lingenfelter adapter has a 1/8" NPT port on it for an external oil feed to a supercharger/turbo, but I'm not sure of the sizing of the temp sensor port. You could try giving a local dealership a call about the part (#15369305, according to my shop manual) and ask them. I would take mine out and measure it, but then all my oil will come squirting out...

Last edited by imp zog; 04-15-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:33 AM
imp zog
Racer

Ah, that part number may have been changed to p/n#12608814 since my '01 shop manual, according to this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...mp-sensor.html

"D21 213-953 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
With RPO 4-SPD A/TRANS(MN7)
NG OIL T/GA SENSOR 2-Way Female
Cross Reference for Part Number: 12608814
Supersedes: GM# 12191170, 15369305 & 25037062, 15326388"

Last edited by imp zog; 04-15-2009 at 08:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To LSx oil sender/cooler adaptor question

Quick Reply: LSx oil sender/cooler adaptor question