Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor gone, ZF 6 spd to non LT motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:38 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Default Motor gone, ZF 6 spd to non LT motor?

Yesterday was our second event of the season and the motor went bye bye. I knew it was going bad but I was hoping to get halfway through the year before I had to replace it.

Anyway, I have heard that a standard small block (non LT motor) will not bolt up to a ZF 6 speed due to bellhousing differences. Is this correct, and if so, does anyone make an adapter plate for it? I checked ZF Doc and didn't see anything listed online. I'll call him Monday morning to be sure.

With the way the C-beam holds the trans and diff in place on a C4 I have to stay with the ZF trans. The reason I ask is that a friend has a fresh 383 that is a std SBC block that he will sell me for a reasonable price which would make this easier, quicker, and less expensive.

I tried the search function and didn't get anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I have a L98 and a Blue Tag Zf6 in my 87. ZF Doc had the bell housing for my conversion. I don't know about what would be needed to convert a LT car to a L98 or like car though. I do know a lot of people convert their 4+3 cars to ZF cars though so maybe someone else has some more advice.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:59 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

First off, sorry about the motor Joe! YES, your trans/ZF bell housing will adapt to an older GM motor. I still have my 87 IIIE car and that has a 1970 LT1 350/350motor and it bolted up perfect to it. The bolt pattern is the same on those motors. I don't know about the LS motors though.

Since my car was a 4+3 car originally, I had to change the slave,master and line, but all your stuff will work.

I believe you have to change the flywheel/clutch assembly if your buddys motor is a 2 piece rear main. Ladder bar bolts up just fine too as I still use it with the ZF doc plates to stiffen it.

Call me tomorrow if you have any questions.

Aaron
Old 04-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your engine.
Ray M. is another person that you could call for good free advice.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:59 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Sorry about the engine

When the ZF came out it was behind an L98, so it will definitely bolt up to a non LTX engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Motor gone, ZF 6 spd to non LT motor?

Quick Reply: Motor gone, ZF 6 spd to non LT motor?