Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cage Fabrication and Install basically completed

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Cage Fabrication and Install basically completed

Picked it up yesterday.
Bascially complete at this point except for window net attachments etc.

Joe and team did an outstanding job, made some suggested changes and did not quit untill the fitment etc. was perfect.
Got a whole host of pictures of the frame attachments etc. for any inspectors etc. who want to see them.

Looking forward to Danny getting the car back together and getting it on the track.

Door cutouts are absolutely precise
Should be able to keep electric door opener and mirror controls with some fanageling and switch mounting.

Just need to do some painting and sprucing up the rear compartment a bit.
Also putting in
  • automatic fire suppression system,
  • 2 way radio
  • Data logging system
Old 04-12-2009, 11:19 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Nice job! I found that I may need a removeable steering wheel because my cockpit is tight. You may as well. We should talk about what is available. I've seen really costly bolt on units in the $300-400 range but I'm thinking I can just buy some generic QR hub and just weld it to the shaft. It would be nice to find out if there is a QR available cheap that just blots right to our existing splined shaft. I just have not looked yet nor taken by wheel off to see the spline size. I also rarely drive my car on the street to get gas or run a local auto-x so I like to keep my blinker stalk and crusicontrol operational and I'm not sure if deleting the OE wheel will have an effect. There is a clock spring and all kinds of other junk in there. Like I said I have not taken my wheel off to see.

My car lives on an open trailer so it is a pain to not have two windows that work. Although I don't need the extra 50lbs either. Anyway I was able to figgit my OEM windows and electric motor and keep all the door controls for autlocks and mirror even with my NASCAR bars. So you may want to try and work your windows back in unless you are lucky enough to have room for and enclosed trailer.

If you have not done your window net yet here is my setup. I run a full containment seat and I can't look to my left rear to get the window net in a little hole. So I welded this tab and made it swing down 90 degrees. Then I made the fasner at the bottom in case I want to take the whole net out for any reason.

Last edited by fatbillybob; 04-12-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:39 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Nice job! I found that I may need a removeable steering wheel because my cockpit is tight. You may as well. We should talk about what is available. I've seen really costly bolt on units in the $300-400 range but I'm thinking I can just buy some generic QR hub and just weld it to the shaft. It would be nice to find out if there is a QR available cheap that just blots right to our existing splined shaft. I just have not looked yet nor taken by wheel off to see the spline size. I also rarely drive my car on the street to get gas or run a local auto-x so I like to keep my blinker stalk and crusicontrol operational and I'm not sure if deleting the OE wheel will have an effect. There is a clock spring and all kinds of other junk in there. Like I said I have not taken my wheel off to see.

My car lives on an open trailer so it is a pain to not have two windows that work. Although I don't need the extra 50lbs either. Anyway I was able to figgit my OEM windows and electric motor and keep all the door controls for autlocks and mirror even with my NASCAR bars. So you may want to try and work your windows back in unless you are lucky enough to have room for and enclosed trailer.

If you have not done your window net yet here is my setup. I run a full containment seat and I can't look to my left rear to get the window net in a little hole. So I welded this tab and made it swing down 90 degrees. Then I made the fasner at the bottom in case I want to take the whole net out for any reason.

Thanks Bob,
I could not be more pleased with the work JR Mechanical did on the cage.
Absolute perfectionists at what they do.

Good idea on the net
Old 04-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Looks Great Bill!! Congrats!

Get notified of new replies

To Cage Fabrication and Install basically completed

Quick Reply: Cage Fabrication and Install basically completed