Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:48 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Which water pump?

I've been told the later model water pumps have a smaller (depth) pulley specifically for the corvette which frees up some engine compartment room compared the the early pulley that is on my '99. Anybody know anything about this? What are the suggested water pumps to use for replacement. My primary reason for replacement is simply to gain some space, but if there are aftermarket pumps available that may be a benefit I'd like to know.
thanks,
-V
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Bumping an old thread looking for an answer.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:58 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I installed the late model LS2/3 pump with the short pulley. Ran two consecutive track days in 100+ degree weather. No cooling problems and although the pulley is not much wider than the belt I did not have any problems throwing the belt or otherwise. At the same time I did the pump I installed a 10% underdrive ATI dampener, katech manual tensioner, and turn one power steering pump with what appears to be a slightly larger diameter pulley. All seems to work very well and I like the additional room in in front of the engine. The new pump is noticably lighter than the original.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I installed the late model LS2/3 pump with the short pulley. Ran two consecutive track days in 100+ degree weather. No cooling problems and although the pulley is not much wider than the belt I did not have any problems throwing the belt or otherwise. At the same time I did the pump I installed a 10% underdrive ATI dampener, katech manual tensioner, and turn one power steering pump with what appears to be a slightly larger diameter pulley. All seems to work very well and I like the additional room in in front of the engine. The new pump is noticably lighter than the original.
AHA! LS2 pump and 100 deg track days. Did you notice any improvement in the cooling?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

What should one expect to pay for the LS2/3 pump and where's a good place to get one?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:51 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always buy from Gene at gmpartshouse.com if I can. I'm interested in this as well since I have the Vette appart... Anyone else with input?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:05 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

No improvement in cooling and I didn't expect any. Just more compact and lighter.
I get all my GM part from Rich at Abel cheverolet.
You can PM him on the forum RichieRichz06 or just call him direct:
707-374-6317 Ask for Rich in parts

Get notified of new replies

To Which water pump?

Quick Reply: Which water pump?