Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep the MPSCs home if it rains?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:57 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Keep the MPSCs home if it rains?

I am headed for the NASA Road America HPDE this weekend and so far there's a decent (40%) chance of rain... I have the GY RFs on my Z for now but I am itching to try my new Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (they have their own set of wheels & TPS). I will be driving to the event with no trailer, extra wheels, etc so bringing 2 sets of wheels is not an option. I've heard the cups are pretty spooky in the wet. Would you guys keep the GYs on for better traction in case it rains and save the cups for dry days only or would you take the 60% chance of no rain and having more fun in the corners with the cups? Decisions decisions...
Old 04-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Id take the cups. ive played around with them in the rain and they accually suprised me that they didnt break traction like crazy. But thats your call
Old 04-21-2009, 05:52 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Old 04-21-2009, 06:10 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

AS long as your not actually racing in standing water the cups should be fine, but if you aren't confident then take the GY. I'm guess since your asking I would recommend you stick with what you know
Old 04-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by vette ruminator
I am headed for the NASA Road America HPDE this weekend and so far there's a decent (40%) chance of rain... I have the GY RFs on my Z for now but I am itching to try my new Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (they have their own set of wheels & TPS). I will be driving to the event with no trailer, extra wheels, etc so bringing 2 sets of wheels is not an option. I've heard the cups are pretty spooky in the wet. Would you guys keep the GYs on for better traction in case it rains and save the cups for dry days only or would you take the 60% chance of no rain and having more fun in the corners with the cups? Decisions decisions...

I drove the ClubSport with MPSCs in the rain. I don't know what everybody gets worked up about. If you are a smart driver and don't do anything stupid you are fine.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're asking if it's safe to drive MPSC to/from the event in the rain... YES! No problem.

If you're asking which tire will be faster / more predictable *on a wet track*... i'd guess the GYs. The MPSC are very temperature sensitive... they'll never heat up and you'll be sliding around more than the GYs.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:20 AM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Follow up: as the weather got worse I ended up leaving the OEM GYs on; there was a lot of standing water and horizontal rain (really fun with the window down in 45 degree Wisconsin weather ); even then there was a lot of slip-sliding-away... in heavy rain at least the choice was clear for my comfort level. Let's hope for a dryer summer!
Old 04-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

What size MPSC did you go with? I broke mine out for the first time on Friday and thought they performed well.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:01 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
What size MPSC did you go with? I broke mine out for the first time on Friday and thought they performed well.
I believe they are the same as your size: 295/30/18, 325/30/19.

Get notified of new replies

To Keep the MPSCs home if it rains?

Quick Reply: Keep the MPSCs home if it rains?