Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New race track in Oregon State. WOW!! VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:32 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New race track in Oregon State. WOW!! VIDEO!

There have been a couple posts about this new track located in eastern Oregon. This past weekend was the first full scale event held at the facility. It is a long ways from being complete but it is ready for some serious driving. Sixteen turns in 2.3 miles of pure joy, especially if you like elevation changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_AuWYfgR3U

This was a joint Portland/Seattle Porsche Club event with 75 seasoned drivers. The primary focus was to get as many instructors there to learn the track for future events and to develop the "official" line for consistant instruction.

I have only driven 12 different tracks in my career, but I would have to say I have a new favorite! Imagine Thunderhill on steriods. Watch the video and count the number of blind: corner/turn in point/apex/track out point locations. Lots of off-camber turns and two high banks. You have to use fast smooth hands all over.

It is located 2.5 hours from Portalnd and 4.5 hours from Seattle out in the middle of dry winter wheat fields.

A new "Field of Dreams". They built it, we will come.

Dean
Old 04-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Frenchican
Safety Car

I wanna go!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:53 AM
linutux
Pro

Wow! Like driving on a mobius strip!

All those blind turns and minimal reference points, then a barn to target fixate on.

Nice driving by the way.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:23 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, No corner workers, no FIA curbing and a porta potty out in the middle of a field. Nice view of Mt Hood and Jefferson?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:33 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
Hmmm, No corner workers, no FIA curbing and a porta potty out in the middle of a field. Nice view of Mt Hood and Jefferson?
Come on Ed, you know you wish you were there to play. And they had corner workers, well sort of, us drivers when we weren't driving

No curbing, no problem, makes you feel like your on a country road, especially with the barn in the infield. But at leat there are no trees to hit

Tom
Old 04-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Hey Dean,

It was fun out there. I only wish I would have brought the Z06 instead of my Spec Miata, but the SM was already on the trailer ready to go to the PIR race this past weekend that I couldn't make for family reasons. So I at least was able to get away on Sunday. One out of 2 days is better than none. Those hill climbs with only 115HP really blows.

I have some good video too, some of it with you blowing by me on the straight. If I get some time, I'll try to up load some.

The track is very technical and takes a full 2 sessions to get the line down before working up speed. Rhythm is the key on this road course. Corner workers and straight workers are your only eyes in many places because of all the elevation changes. The track has many great design features, like the half pipe, but I wish it had at least one high speed section(both straight and turn) incorporated. After all, we do come for the speed too. This is not to say there aren't fast sections. The facilties have a way to go, but this track is brand new and has a comprehensive plan for the future.

We ran the track in the clockwise full configuration. The track has been designed to run both CW and CCW. So it is like having 2 tracks in one. I do look to get back out and run the counter clockwise configuration soon.

I say the track is a hit, and with it being the closest track to my house(2hrs), I'm all smiles And when I want to hit 150MPH, there is always very flat PIR another 1.5 hrs away.

Tom

Last edited by Z Fast; 04-22-2009 at 05:57 AM. Reason: spl
Old 04-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You weren't kidding when you said elevation change! Awesome corkscrew-thingy (the half pipe?)!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dean,

Your laps looked just like my laps...only faster.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG...how long is that track, like 10 miles?? It is one heck of a roller coaster ride, but a little too busy. You are definately getting a work out on that track...love to see a growth in our sport!!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:00 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
It is one heck of a roller coaster ride, but a little too busy.
I agree. IMO, that is a small drawback. There is literaly no place to take a deep breath and collect yourself. I found that checking gauges was challenging since you really can't take your eyes off the road.

On the other hand, once one gets really familiar with the track, some of the "trepidation" will dissipate and you'll probably find places to relax a bit.

It is definately a challenge!!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:57 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It looks more like a rollercoaster then a racetrack

Randy
Old 04-22-2009, 05:14 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z Fast
Come on Ed, you know you wish you were there to play. And they had corner workers, well sort of, us drivers when we weren't driving

No curbing, no problem, makes you feel like your on a country road, especially with the barn in the infield. But at least there are no trees to hit

Tom

Actually it probably is a good idea to have ALL drivers be corner workers every once in a while. Give us all a better appreciation for what they do for us. It worked well and I still got in 12 20-30 minute sessions.

There is a tremendous amount of run-out in almost all areas. It should be a safe track once they fix the few problems spots. My best lap was a 1:53 so once curbing is in something around 1:45 should be possible. Fast and furious!

Originally Posted by linutux
Wow! Like driving on a mobius strip!

All those blind turns and minimal reference points, then a barn to target fixate on.

Nice driving by the way.

"Mobius Strip" is a great analogy! The lack of on track reference points made it critical to keep your eyes up and out.

Dean

Last edited by kentz06; 04-22-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:58 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

good lord that looks like a MUST DO track the ele changes are amazing!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
good lord that looks like a MUST DO track the ele changes are amazing!
Get that double trailer, I will meet you at your house and we can load up my car and head over there

Randy
PS I can drive in Oregon again finally. I got screwed by the long stick of the law in my younger days in the great state of Oregon.

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 04-22-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:13 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Get that double trailer, I will meet you at your house and we can load up my car and head over there

Randy
PS I can drive in Oregon again finally. I got screwed by the long stick of the law in my younger days in the great state of Oregon.
LOL nice

yeah would have to hit up miller park in utah on the way and the new high plains raceway by denver
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by kentz06
Actually it probably is a good idea to have ALL drivers be corner workers every once in a while. Give us all a better appreciation for what they do for us.
I agree. Corner workers are our eyes and ears and we could not have our day on track without them. I did an awful lot of corner work back in the 90's flagging for other run groups in our race series and boy we were busy. Sure glad we weren't busy in the corners this weekend.

Tom
Old 04-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dean,

Nice driving. It looks like a one gear (3rd) track! That has to be hard on brakes, but then again it looks like high speeds aren't a real factor.

Looks like an absolutely awesome track to race Miatas!

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To New race track in Oregon State. WOW!! VIDEO!

Old 04-23-2009, 02:29 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Dean,

Nice driving. It looks like a one gear (3rd) track! That has to be hard on brakes, but then again it looks like high speeds aren't a real factor.

Looks like an absolutely awesome track to race Miatas!

Mike
That matches what my expectations were exactly, that it would be too tight to use the Corvette effectively and that smaller, lighter cars would do better. That proved to be way wrong.

For fast laps the car was in 3rd half of the time and 2nd or 4th for the other half. With the four sections that are mostly straight and all the up hill pulls, I was able to use all the HP available (and could have used more in a few places). Top speed was probably around 130 with no 5th gear.

None of the GT3s or TTs could keep up and all the other cars were underpowered. The silver Vette gave zero point bys all weekend...

Everyone had a great time.

Dean
Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Great Video! Thanks Dean.

I wondered how it was out there.

I suspect there could be an issue with dirt blowing on the track at times. Could get a little loose. There is nothing to stop the wind out there.

Patrick
Old 04-23-2009, 11:43 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Default novice

I want to go!

Where do I sign up to go if I'm a novice?

Joel

Quick Reply: New race track in Oregon State. WOW!! VIDEO!