Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multi-point Harness Install Questions????

Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Gramps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Multi-point Harness Install Questions????

I am looking at installing what is necessary to use a multipoint racing harness for HPDEs. I am attempting to retain the stock seats and seat belt and airbag functionality. I’m looking at two solutions for attachment of the lap belts, both snap-in designs. The one from Brey Krause uses the stock lap belt mounting points, and the set provides for both driver and passenger for about $150.

The other option at which I am looking is the Vetteworks mount. It appears to mount on the rear seat mount studs, is simpler to install, but for the same $150, you only get a bracket for one seat.

Does anyone have experience with these two solutions to my dilemma? Please, if you have experience with one or the other of these products, comment on your likes or dislikes. Does the Vetteworks solution allow the seat to be placed in the full aft position?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

What seats do you have? Stock C6Z seats?

without holes in the seat backs you are most likley limited to stock belts.

Most if not all clubs no require race seats for harnesses.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:03 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

The extenders do not work very well, because they have the lap belts mounted adjacent to your hips and the force is not distributed correctly. In addition, there is no provision for the sub belts which need to go rearward not forward.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:18 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

^^ so you're saying the vetteworks mount is the better solution?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes, clearly.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
cagedruss
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need a seat that conforms to a race harness install. You will also need a harness bar to properly align the shoulder belts to avoid compression of the spine. Tech is for 5-6 and 7 point but the principle of lap and shoulder belts are the same.

Read this PDF file, tells alot of good info.

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/TechTactics.pdf

Last edited by cagedruss; 04-22-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Gramps
I am looking at installing what is necessary to use a multipoint racing harness for HPDEs. I am attempting to retain the stock seats and seat belt and airbag functionality. I’m looking at two solutions for attachment of the lap belts, both snap-in designs. The one from Brey Krause uses the stock lap belt mounting points, and the set provides for both driver and passenger for about $150.

The other option at which I am looking is the Vetteworks mount. It appears to mount on the rear seat mount studs, is simpler to install, but for the same $150, you only get a bracket for one seat.

Does anyone have experience with these two solutions to my dilemma? Please, if you have experience with one or the other of these products, comment on your likes or dislikes. Does the Vetteworks solution allow the seat to be placed in the full aft position?
I used the BK setup for 7 years. With the BK setup you sit on the sub belt straps which pass under your legs and are fastened to mounts co-located with the lap belt mounts. With the subbelts mounted in this position they pull down on the lap belt in the same plane the shoulder harnesses pull up and thus keep the lap belt in its proper place on your hips.

I usually ran the seat to the full rearward position, fastened the belts and then ran it forward. Basically, your legs keep the lap belt from raising. One problem with the BK mounts is the lack of adjustability of the inner lap belt. I found I had to pre-adjust it to its minimum length and then do all other adjustments with the outer belt. If you use these mounts you definitely want pull up belts as you can actually adjust them with the door closed.

A benefit of using this mount is the sub belts are easier to adjust as they are right in front of you. This isn't as much of a problem for the driver as it is for passengers that vary in size. I had some people who were very thin and some that were very heavy. If the belt was adjusted for somebody thin a heavy guy couldn't fasten the subbelt until it was re-adjusted. Even with a race seat proper adjustment of the sub belts can be a problem when you are carrying passengers (and much harder as the adjustments are usually under the seat).

If you have seat that will allow proper pass through of the shoulder harnesses then either of these mounts will work. However, if you don't have such a seat then you need a racing seat.

Bill
Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I've got the Vetteworks mount [2 of 'em] (the older slightly different design) and have no complaints what-so-ever.

I'm pretty sure when I have my stock seats in (use Kirkeys) they can go back all the way.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:00 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran my first track day last week and quickly realized how much a track seat is needed. I understand that the shoulder harness is mounted with a harness bar and the lap belts are mounted with some type of seat mount. But how is the anti-submarine belt mounted and to what is it mounted to? Thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 12:31 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

SSDeuce -

Some seat mounts have built-in attachment points for sub belts along with lap belt mounting points. For example, the Pfadt seat brackets have a cross bar specifically designed for that purpose (I have a set of Pfadt seat mounts, so I can't speak for other vendor's products...).

Get notified of new replies

To Multi-point Harness Install Questions????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Multi-point Harness Install Questions????