Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home Again

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:25 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Home Again

Hey All,
Totally off topic, but most of my track buddies hang out here so maybe the mods will give me a little lattitude. Just a quick note to say I'm home from my 5th deployment (patrol in SSBN parlance) and actually have orders in hand to transfer to Naval Sea Systems Command at the Washington Navy Yard in DC this July. Much of my time the next few months will be spent trying to figure out where to live and setting up my move... and trying to figure out how to get my RV, trailer, Corvette, other trailer, daily driver and wife's daily driver from the left side to the right side of the country. I see a few road trips in my future. Oh ya... I have a pickup too... maybe several road trips.
(Note to prospective track junkies - I started with one 94 RX-7. Track days are a very slippery slope.)

My SCCA license has expired yet again and another project will be to renew it so I can get in four races this year to get back into the swing of things. Hoping to run a full year next year on in either the Northeast or Southeast Divisions, depending on where we decide to live.

Currently leaning towards King George County in VA. Long commute, but I can actually afford a nice house there that has a 3 car garage... and another shop/garage on the property. Dream home for me.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Last edited by C66 Racing; 04-22-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:32 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome back. And thank you for your service to our country.
I loved Virginia when I lived there.... in the '60s. Good luck in your hunt for new digs.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Subdriver
Hey All,
Totally off topic, but most of my track buddies hang out here so maybe the mods will give me a little lattitude. Just a quick note to say I'm home from my 5th deployment (patrol in SSBN parlance) and actually have orders in hand to transfer to Naval Sea Systems Command at the Washington Navy Yard in DC this July. Much of my time the next few months will be spent trying to figure out where to live and setting up my move... and trying to figure out how to get my RV, trailer, Corvette, other trailer, daily driver and wife's daily driver from the left side to the right side of the country. I see a few road trips in my future. Oh ya... I have a pickup too... maybe several road trips.
(Note to prospective track junkies - I started with one 94 RX-7. Track days are a very slippery slope.)

My SCCA license has expired yet again and another project will be to renew it so I can get in four races this year to get back into the swing of things. Hoping to run a full year next year on in either the Northeast or Southeast Divisions, depending on where we decide to live.

Currently leaning towards King George County in VA. Long commute, but I can actually afford a nice house there that has a 3 car garage... and another shop/garage on the property. Dream home for me.

FIRST,Welcome home and thank you for your services!

Come on over, the waters good here in the east. Heck you may be in Wally and Ross's area so you would fit right in. Summit point,Pocono & others would be in your back yard. I'm sure there are more I can't think of right now too.

Sounds like you need 5 semis to move! Good luck with the move and let us know where you end up!

Aaron
Old 04-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Welcome home and thank you for your service.

I will miss not having had the opportunity to run with you out here on this lefty coast.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:43 AM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

welcome home and many, many thanks to you, and so many others like you, who serve our country and keep us all safe and free

If you are in the VA area and able to spend a little free time - come out to the NCM HPDE event at VIR at the end of June - you'll see lots of your forum friends there.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:50 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks Brad, the Maryland crabs are fantastic (don't wear any nice clothes when you go eat them). Lots of great tracks within 8 hours, I hope to see you at one of them. I wish you could have sent a D5 or 2 at a couple of places before you left boomers...
Here is a pic of the USS New Hampshire that I got a tour of last year.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:39 AM
0MrPickles
Former Vendor

Welcome home brad

Being a Native of the Maryland/DC area ...you will love it. Although, you will find yourself becoming a fan of the best NFL football team in the league...

Hail!

oh..and Beltway drivers will drive you nuts!

Glad things are going well, and good luck in VA.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome back, Brad, and rig for shore duty!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:50 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPickles
...you will love it. Although, you will find yourself becoming a fan of the best NFL football team in the league...
The Eagles! gee I crack myself up.

Welcome back Brad
Old 04-23-2009, 11:23 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Welcome home, Brad !!!

Thanks for your service.

Hope to Cya @ the track.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...Currently leaning towards King George County in VA. Long commute, but I can actually afford a nice house there that has a 3 car garage... and another shop/garage on the property. Dream home for me.
Hi Brad, thanks for your service and welcome home! Lot's of tracks around here, Summit Point (1.5 hours) VIR (4 hours) Thunderbolt (3 hours) BeaveRun (6 hours), Mid-Ohio (9 hours), Watkins Glen (10 hours), Road Atlanta (11 hours), CMP (9 hours) and more being built!!

I don't want to bust your bubble about King George County but that would be a 2-hour one-way commute (at least). My normal commute is 14 miles from Fairfax to Crystal City and that can be anywhere from 35 to 55 minutes (without accidents) and more with!!! Morning and evening rush hour up and down Rt95 is just plain painfull!! I know some folks who commute from Fredericksburg and they leave at 5:00 am and get to work between 7:30 and 8:00 and leave at 4:30 or 5:00 and get home around 7:30.

Anyway, good luck to you in your move and we'll be looking for you at the track!! By the way, you might want to consider joining NASA-Mid Atlantic region where we run Summit Point and VIR... great folks and great organization!!!

--Ralph

Member, Over-the-Hill Gang
Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...Currently leaning towards King George County in VA. Long commute, but I can actually afford a nice house there that has a 3 car garage... and another shop/garage on the property. Dream home for me.
Hi Brad, thanks for your service and welcome home! Lot's of tracks around here, Summit Point (1.5 hours) VIR (4 hours) Thunderbolt (3 hours) BeaveRun (6 hours), Mid-Ohio (9 hours), Watkins Glen (10 hours), Road Atlanta (11 hours), CMP (9 hours) and more being built!!

I don't want to bust your bubble about King George County but that would be a 2-hour one-way commute (at least). My normal commute is 14 miles from Fairfax to Crystal City and that can be anywhere from 35 to 55 minutes (without accidents) and more with!!! Morning and evening rush hour up and down Rt95 is just plain painfull!! I know some folks who commute from Fredericksburg and they leave at 5:00 am and get to work between 7:30 and 8:00 and leave at 4:30 or 5:00 and get home around 7:30.

Anyway, good luck to you in your move and we'll be looking for you at the track!! By the way, you might want to consider joining NASA-Mid Atlantic region where we run Summit Point and VIR... great folks and great organization!!!

--Ralph

Member, Over-the-Hill Gang
Old 04-23-2009, 01:44 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like Brad and Family need one of those Navy amphibious landing ships to get all his stuff from left coast to the RIGHT coast.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 AM
C66 Racing

All,
Thanks, as usual, for the very warm welcome home.

Oli,
I too am sorry we haven't had a chance to race together yet as well. Sea duty has kept me a lot busier than I anticipated. Even when I'm home, the social calendar keeps me near home. However, the T1 community is small and I'm sure we'll see each other out there sooner, rather than later.

Aaron,
Looking forward to joining the large group of T1 guys out east. Going to be good running with more than a handful of guys. However, as well as I know the list of tracks over there, never been on one of them... so will be a steep learning curve for me.

Ralph,
Thanks for the info on the commute. Have another Vette buddy lives in Fairfax and very happy there as well. He works at the Pentagon and his commute sounds similar to yours. However, I have a retired Army buddy who lives in King George and who works at the Navy Yard. He takes the back way (via MD) to the Navy Yard (actually works at the same building I will) and his commute is just over an hour. We'll see... so many choices.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:49 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Late to the thread, but I wanted to add my Welcome Home and Thanks for serving greetings to the rest of the group.

Good luck in the move, and have a good one,

Mike
Old 04-25-2009, 07:00 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Brad, I've been out of town and just saw your post. Welcome back and thanks for helping keep America free.

Another good thing about living on the right coast is now you are near Phoenix Performance.

I'll tell Joe you are back!!!

Frank Gonzalez
Old 04-27-2009, 04:35 PM
timthecanman
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Brad,
Good to have you back!!!! Call me if I can help with anything down Norfolk way. I will not be running my T1 car this year but have lot of stuff you are welcome to use. Tim

Get notified of new replies

To Home Again

Old 04-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

wow, i'm late to the party on this one. Welcome home and welcome to the east coast. if you're doing any racing in the area and need a crew guy and don't mind hanging out with a zoomie, let me know.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 PM
C66 Racing

Thanks to all the "late" catchers of this thread. Appreciate the offers and welcome home. Working on getting my SCCA license renewed (again) and hoping to make the National at Portland on May 9-10th. After that, likely to tow my Vette to Norfolk and store it until we move. My wife and I are spending hours on the internet every day trying to decide where to live in the greater DC area. Way too many choices.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll be there at PIR if the SCCA will let you in.

Quick Reply: Home Again