Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: NCM "Motorplex" - Drag Strip or Road Course?
Drag Strip
2.44%
Road Course
82.93%
Both or nothing
13.41%
Neither
1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: NCM "Motorplex" Park - Drag Strip or Road Course?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:21 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Poll: NCM "Motorplex" Park - Drag Strip or Road Course?

Hey guys. I just got back from the NCM C5/C6 Bash.

I attended a seminar about the Motorplex Park that is being planned by the NCM. Here is the link:

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/motorplex/index.shtml

The seminar was led by Wendell Strode and Wil Cooksey, and was set up to get as much input as possible to help with the planning process.

One of the main questions they asked the members was what was more important, building a drag strip or a road course. So let's help them out. Chime in with your opinion, and any other suggestions you want to make.

I am also posting a link from the drag racing section to this thread.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:42 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well thats an absolute no brainer........Roadcourse with a dragstrip......why limit potential events and revenue.......
Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Well thats an absolute no brainer........Roadcourse with a dragstrip......why limit potential events and revenue.......
Sorry, I probably did not explain quite enough.

One, they indicated that the NCM may only be able to build the Motorplex Park in phases, so they wanted to get their priorities right.

Two, the last two drag racing events that were held during NCM events (Beech Bend), both lost money.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Doug 87L98
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see both built. But if there is only room for one then it probably should be a road course. There is already a drag strip near the museum.
And with a road course you could hold auto cross events and road course events.

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
Two, the last two drag racing events that were held during NCM events (Beech Bend), both lost money.

From what I understand, if the drag race event are run like they were run in the past, the events would have more attendees.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:34 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

This is the Autocross & Roadracing section. What would you expect the poll to show? Maybe, we prefer the road racing track?

Frank Gonzalez
Old 04-25-2009, 09:38 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug 87L98
From what I understand, if the drag race event are run like they were run in the past, the events would have more attendees.
Very good point. It takes a high quality, well run event to attract the number of participants necessary for the event to be successful.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:45 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
This is the Autocross & Roadracing section. What would you expect the poll to show? Maybe, we prefer the road racing track?

Frank Gonzalez
Frank - You are right, of course, but I also posted a link to the poll in this section in the drag racing section. Of couse this is all very unscientific, but the input is still valuable, especially the comments and suggestions.

Also, AutoX was not included as a choice because it would be included in all plans.

We have to start somewhere, and I can assure you that a much more formal analysis will be performed before anything becomes official.

Tom
Old 04-25-2009, 09:59 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Palm Beach could be a good example of what it might take. I'm not in love with the road course but it's still a good course. It's also an FIA approved track. Keep in mind that they've already been in financial trouble so this may not be a good time for a racer track project. PBIR is in a huge metro area and gets a nice turnout and still cannot make money-or even pay the bills on time

Richard Newton
Race Cars 360
Old 04-25-2009, 10:15 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

With the large NCC membership in the Nashville area, and considering the Roval at the Speedway here is not really the best roadcourse, I would think there would always be a large number of participants. As a matter of fact, I can think of 2 dozen people just off hand!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:53 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

ROAD COURSE - hands down Beech Bend has a drag strip - just a few short miles from NCM
Old 04-26-2009, 02:26 AM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by rfn026
Palm Beach could be a good example of what it might take. I'm not in love with the road course but it's still a good course. It's also an FIA approved track. Keep in mind that they've already been in financial trouble so this may not be a good time for a racer track project. PBIR is in a huge metro area and gets a nice turnout and still cannot make money-or even pay the bills on time

Richard Newton
Race Cars 360
Based upon what I have been hearing, the NCM Motorplex would be built mainly for "drivers", and not so much for "spectators". The demographics in Bowling Green and the extensive space and cost of facilities do not make a very good case for spectator events. JMHO.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

That's what my local track did. IRP is mainly a drag strip, but it have a road couse too. The 1/4 mile is the main straight for the road course. The only draw back with its setup is the start of the 1/4 mile is too close to the road course section and the traction compound used gets extremely slippery when wet. Nice idea, but it could be improved.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I vote for a giant shuffleboard table with squares large enough for Covettes. That way you just wax them up and see how far they roll when pushed

Seriously, road course...
Old 04-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

The results I expected in the "Autocrossing and Roadracing" section.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:35 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Datawiz
The results I expected in the "Autocrossing and Roadracing" section.

HSE are a big part of the Corvette experiance and what the Corvette is really built to do and I really believe most Corvette owners would rather Autox/roadrace than drag race.
Bottom line is we need to get this complex built.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:02 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Build the road course first.
Beech Bend has the drag facility ... track prep and track operations have been a crap-shoot the last few years, but they should be motivated by the prospect of having a competitor facility in the area ...
Participation in drag events has declined over the last 4 Z06 Fests I've attended.
Participation in HPDE events has been problematic due to price and distance - we did Nashville twice and Putnam once.
There are a lot more in the potential customer base for a road course - many different introductory, instructional events possible if the facility exists.
BlueGrass - up the road - is the newest "area" facility, but the NCM and Corvette Plant can (in time) ramp up the opportunities for the Corvette enthusiast to experience the car in a controlled, "safe" environment.
But they gotta pay for the land before building anything.
Here's an idea ... can this Forum run a fund raising drive to buy an acre? $15k and the name goes on the plaque ... I'm in for a $100. (yeah, that's chump change, but I'll be contributing in other Forums and organizations I'm going to call out ...
Old 04-27-2009, 11:29 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is ok if they are not the same track. We have BIR up here in MN, in the damp or wet conditions. The drag strip part is about as slick as ice. Many cars have crashed on the straight away, some have been very bad. The drag guy use this tire grip crap that works good for them and not good for anyone else.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Poll: NCM "Motorplex" Park - Drag Strip or Road Course?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It can be a TWO in ONE. All you need in the road course is a about a 1/2 to 3/4 mile long staright away. and if you really think about it you dont even need that. But I vote for the ROAD COURSE. BUT IT NEEDS TO HAVE A 1/4 MILE incorporated in it somehow.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Build the road course first.
Beech Bend has the drag facility ... track prep and track operations have been a crap-shoot the last few years, but they should be motivated by the prospect of having a competitor facility in the area ...
Participation in drag events has declined over the last 4 Z06 Fests I've attended.
Participation in HPDE events has been problematic due to price and distance - we did Nashville twice and Putnam once.
There are a lot more in the potential customer base for a road course - many different introductory, instructional events possible if the facility exists.
BlueGrass - up the road - is the newest "area" facility, but the NCM and Corvette Plant can (in time) ramp up the opportunities for the Corvette enthusiast to experience the car in a controlled, "safe" environment.
But they gotta pay for the land before building anything.
Here's an idea ... can this Forum run a fund raising drive to buy an acre? $15k and the name goes on the plaque ... I'm in for a $100. (yeah, that's chump change, but I'll be contributing in other Forums and organizations I'm going to call out ...
thats not a bad idea. If we can raise 100k for St Judes, then why not for a road course?????
I think we need more than an acre though.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Road course - I love drag racing and oval racing, but my personal belief is "a real race driver knows how to turn.... both left and right..."

Quick Reply: Poll: NCM "Motorplex" Park - Drag Strip or Road Course?